Is it time again?

By Big Remy, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Fristly, excellent, thanks Antistone. As I said its really a first draft and sometimes one can be too close or too mixed up with what one has written and changed several times to spot the mistakes.
Not to mention just being plain wrong, or not having the best ideas. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Antistone said:

Props: Your definition of props says that it includes prize tokens, but prize tokens say they don't fit into other categories. Also, Props says it includes terrain, but the given definition doesn't include natural terrain (since there is no token involved); that ought to be clarified.

Obstacles: You have removed from this category many things that were explicitly listed as obstacles in various rulebooks. I realize that the FAQ entry for crushing block is completely different from the "obstacle" categorization in any book, but you haven't made your categorization equivalent to that FAQ ruling either. Your enumerated list also doesn't match your stated definition, since it excludes rolling boulders (which are "mapboard spaces that are impassible" if rubble is). And after your various rewrites, I'm not sure if any effect in the entire game is limited specifically to obstacles (by either of your definitions). What's the deal here?

Traps: This category is explicitly not supposed to overlap with Terrain, but you included rolling boulders and crushing walls in both. Suggest they be deleted from Terrain.

Effects: You've made Sahla's ability substantially more powerful by including things like the monkey counter tokens.

Acrobat: As written, your rewrite allows heroes to choose not to trigger encounters or activate glyphs. I suggest that prize tokens be removed from the list, and there should possibly be a clarification that you still experience the effects for standing in terrain, as opposed to the effects for entering terrain (thus, your LOS is restricted by pits and fog, for example).

It might be a good idea to define Acrobat as "the same as Fly, except...". Makes for more consistency, and hopefully means that only the Fly ability will need to be errata'd ever again, rather than changing both Fly and Acrobat.

Fly: I still do not believe that Fly was ever intended to provide any advantage against trap tokens. Also note that Rolling Boulders and Crushing Walls say that they are treated as walls for purposes of blocking movement, and so I don't think figures with Fly are supposed to be able to move through them. Also, as written, this allows Razorwings to fly over boulders, but still causes them to die if a boulder rolls into them.

Also, you've given Acrobat and Fly the ability to end movement on top of the Shadow Soul, which probably wasn't intentional. I suggest you remove familiars from the list of things they're allowed to move through, as that ability was never granted by the original version, and I don't think any familiars block movement anyway (unless there's something in RtL--if there is, I don't think there's a simple rewrite).

I believe there's also a ruling saying that figures with Acrobat/Fly are still supposed to suffer penalties for entering hazardous terrain involuntarily (e.g. as a result of Knockback).

Further Considerations: I can think of two major rules you haven't touched on that could possibly use this classification system:

(1) "Empty spaces" for traps and the like.

(2) Monsters are prohibited from spawning on obstacles (explicitly including pits).

Currently, "obstacles" is too narrow to use as the sole criteria for either of these rules, and "terrain" is too board (as it includes things like natural corrupted terrain that almost certainly shouldn't interfere with these). Admittedly, #1 could quite possibly use "everything except corrupted terrain". I would consider moving more stuff into the obstacle category to make #2 work as written (or at most require a change to "obstacles or traps").

Large Monsters: Suggest point 1 should be more general--there could conceivably be things that block movement other than obstacles and traps, and there could conceivably be things other than Fly that let you enter otherwise impassable spaces. Perhaps "large figures may not enter any space that small figures cannot enter, and may not end their movement overlapping any space that small figures cannot end their movement within."

Suggest point 2 should say something like "did not already occupy" rather than "did not occupy previously," since the current version seems more likely to be mistaken for meaning that they can never be harmed by the same piece of terrain twice in the same game.

You may also want to explicitly call out what happens if they don't move during their activation and overlap spaces that they would suffer damage for entering.

Stairs: This strongly resembles my question #16 from the first reply in this thread.

Props: I see about the Prize tokens points. Props is intended to be an over-classification, one that describes all tokens present as part of the map-board (as compared to tokens that are on the map board, not part of it). Possibly an extra sentence explaining this would help. I'm not convinced it is necessary so I'll leave it to others to add here.
I don't see the problem with the terrain thing. Props include Terrain but not all Terrain pieces are Props. That is apparent from the Terrain description. Still, if you think it would be better fixed, feel free to do so.

Obstacles: Firstly, all of the original rulebooks used 'obstacles' in an uncertain and messy way that didn't fit with various other uses. So I am assuming that these are being abandoned entirely in place of the comprehensive re-explanation we are doing. Most obstacles are being moved to Terrain, because we need to separate out non-impassable stuff. Calling most of the "this space is made up of" stuff 'terrain' seems suitable, especially as some former 'obstacles' simply aren't necessarily obstacly in nature (ie don't block or slow movement, eg Giant Mushrooms).
Secondly, the FAQ entry for Crushing Block is still not exhaustive because it misses impassable (sudden death) pits and also impassable trees (which occur in at least one RtL encounter location. So that needs revising anyway. We don't currently have one term for all entries in this FAQ answer, and due to Acrobat we aren't likely to in the future either.
Thirdly, Rolling Boulders are specifically not obstacles according to Acrobat - which means if we class them as obstacles then we must make an exception for Acrobat. They do fit with Trap Tokens in the way that Acrobat specifically seems to not counter them.
I don't entirely like them as Trap tokens either because to me they don't fit the definition of an entrapped area - they are terrain that is changing (moving) due to a triggered trap. I've gone back and forth several times between obstacles and trap tokens and if there is any inconsistency this is probably why.
In the end, what I wrote seemed the best combination to me.
Although each of your points is correct, please look at the total effect and see if you can find holes in it then. Or even better, offer a better solution.

Trap Tokens: Oops yes. One of those move them here, move them back, move them back again mistakes. I think they are best classified as Props, Terrain and Trap Tokens. Better IMO to remove the sentence that says Trap Tokens are not Terrain (some are, some are not). The sentence about not being Trap Cards is to help clarify TrapMaster and similar effects, but is certainly disputable.

Effect Tokens:
Bugger! Monkey wound tokens were added in late trying to cover everything. It is a shame because they really do fit best in here. However, despite the fact that I don't think that improving Sahla's ability a little bit by this method would be a bad idea (Sahla is adequate, but there are a least 5 mages you would choose ahead of him without a second thought), I am certainly not trying to change any rules. I can think of two solutions.
a) leave monkey wound tokens out of the classification system altogether and add a note at the bottom mentioning them. This could also work well solving some other potential issues - glyphs might work better like this too?
b) add a note in the monkey section stating that monkey tokens may not be removed by any special effect.

Acrobat: Prize tokens can be removed. I was thinking of opening chests but that is not a movement effect of the space, it is a Movement Action. Acrobat as written does not change any 'standing in' effects of terrain etc. It only operates when entering or moving through . That is exactly as per the original wording of Acrobat. I guess an extra clarification could be added but IMO it is not necessary and is only needed for incompetent rules-'would-be'-lawyers.
I'm not convinced Acrobat should be 'as Fly except'. I think it is important to have all the effects of the card on the card (the basics at least) and not have the card refer to another card.

Fly: We disagree here. I do see fly specifically protecting against Trap Tokens (not Trap Cards necessarily - surprise gets the effect, but the tokens they leave behind can be flown over). As evidence I offer two things. First, Fly does not have the same exceptions noted in Acrobat for things I would classify as Trap Tokens. Secondly, a figure with Fly may end it's turn on an Obstacle (old screwed up definition - osud) which does damage without taking damage. Now Boulders and Crushing Walls have been defined as obstacles (osud) in the FAQ answer about Crushing Block, despite boulders being classed with Scything Blades as not-obstacles in the Acrobat skill (osud). So if Boulders are obstacles (osud) then probably so are Scything Blades and thus by definition Flyers can end on Scything Blades without taking damage.
Really though, it's take your pick, since there are so many contradictory old rulings. My pick is that Trap Tokens (which are not Traps) are ignoreable by Fly. Traps though, would still hit flyers (the element of surprise).
I'm not aware of the Knockback/Acrobat/Fly ruling. It is not in the current FAQ, nor in the GLOAQ (there is a relevant question in the GLOAQ but the answer says the hero is a 'valid target' for pit damage - not 'recieves pit damage', which would seem to indicate that some heroes may not receive the damage - due to Acrobat/Fly/Tiger Tattoo etc probably).
Familiars are removeable but then we need to do something about Villagers. I don't see anywhere else suitable to put Villagers. They are not terrain and not obstacles from the pov of Crushing Block. They might be another candidate for a non-classified unique section like monkey wound tokens.

Further Considerations: Yes indeed. Things like these are exactly why we want a classification system rather than an individualised system. Unfortunately there are so many overlaps, crossovers, unique cases and exceptions that a classification system is very difficult.
1) Unless someone comes up with a better system this one might be better to just have the exception. "All figure, Props and Natural Terrain except Corrupted Terrain"
2) Again, unless there is a better system I would keep this one simpler. "Monsters may not spawn on any space they cannot end their turn ( aside - which includes other figures, activated glyphs, obstacles, Boulders and Crushing Walls) or entirely inside a pit."

Large Monsters: Yes, both better than my efforts although the first is partially redundant (if you can't enter then you already can't end).
1. No space of a large figure may enter any space that small figures cannot enter.
2. When a large monster moves, it is affected only by any space it moves into that it did not already occupy. Each single space of movement is adjudicated separately for this purpose.
6. If a large figure does not move at all then it is treated as though all of the spaces it occupies are newly occupied spaces for effects that happen when a figure doe snot move off them in a turn. (this could definitely be improved!)

This post deleted (as much as possible). See below.

Edit: A thousand curses on this stupid broken forum! May the demons of the Internet swallow the incompetent wretch that doomed us to hours of tedious, inconsistent workarounds, and may he be tormented by trolls for eternity!

Going to try italicizing quoted portions. Again . Because simply removing the quote tags doesn't actually remove them, and copy-pasting into a new window remvoes all formatting. Graaah.

For the record, I suspect the forced newlines (shift+enter) in the quoted text from Corbon's post may have been a contributing factor to the errors (the editor seems to behave inconsistently in displaying and editing them), but I'm not sure.

Corbon: Props: I see about the Prize tokens points. Props is intended to be an over-classification, one that describes all tokens present as part of the map-board (as compared to tokens that are on the map board, not part of it). Possibly an extra sentence explaining this would help. I'm not convinced it is necessary so I'll leave it to others to add here.
I don't see the problem with the terrain thing. Props include Terrain but not all Terrain pieces are Props. That is apparent from the Terrain description. Still, if you think it would be better fixed, feel free to do so.

I don't feel its particularly important to have this work one way or the other, I just think the definitions need to be consistent with each other. If props includes prize tokens, the prize tokens definition can't say that it's not part of any other category; having props include "all terrain except natural terrain" is OK (albeit slightly complicated), but then props can't just say that it includes terrain (as that implies a superset-subset relation).

Corbon: Obstacles : Firstly, all of the original rulebooks used 'obstacles' in an uncertain and messy way that didn't fit with various other uses. So I am assuming that these are being abandoned entirely in place of the comprehensive re-explanation we are doing. Most obstacles are being moved to Terrain, because we need to separate out non-impassable stuff.

(1) Why is separating out non-impassable stuff something that needs to be done? I'm not aware of any rule or ability that requires reference to that subset of effects as a category, and even if one exists, "props that block movement" or "props that don't block movement" seems clear enough; making a redundant term for it seems like a waste. Plus, you've already argued that obstacles can't be that category, even if we needed one, because of Acrobat.

(2) Can we get a list of all the "various other uses" that you feel didn't fit with the previous definition for obstacles? Because I thought that the RAW definition (up until they stopped giving us one, post-AoD) worked acceptably well for everything I can think of, including Acrobat, Fly, Crushing Block, and spawning, though FFG has already (somewhat confusingly) changed crushing block. (Prohibiting crushing block next to boulders and crushing walls isn't necessary to prevent deadlocks, because the boulders and crushing walls move.)

Corbon: Thirdly, Rolling Boulders are specifically not obstacles according to Acrobat - which means if we class them as obstacles then we must make an exception for Acrobat. They do fit with Trap Tokens in the way that Acrobat specifically seems to not counter them.
I don't entirely like them as Trap tokens either because to me they don't fit the definition of an entrapped area - they are terrain that is changing (moving) due to a triggered trap. I've gone back and forth several times between obstacles and trap tokens and if there is any inconsistency this is probably why.

I don't have any problem with rolling boulders and crushing walls not being obstacles, or with them not being affected by either Acrobat or Fly. But your written definition for obstacles needs to exclude them in that case.

Corbon: Trap Tokens: Oops yes. One of those move them here, move them back, move them back again mistakes. I think they are best classified as Props, Terrain and Trap Tokens. Better IMO to remove the sentence that says Trap Tokens are not Terrain (some are, some are not). The sentence about not being Trap Cards is to help clarify TrapMaster and similar effects, but is certainly disputable.

I think we're better off having them not be terrain, at least if we're going to continue having Acrobat not work on them, because otherwise we need some sort of awkward "terrain, but not terrain tokens that are also trap tokens" kind of clause.

Corbon: Effect Tokens: Bugger! Monkey wound tokens were added in late trying to cover everything. It is a shame because they really do fit best in here. However, despite the fact that I don't think that improving Sahla's ability a little bit by this method would be a bad idea (Sahla is adequate, but there are a least 5 mages you would choose ahead of him without a second thought), I am certainly not trying to change any rules. I can think of two solutions.
a) leave monkey wound tokens out of the classification system altogether and add a note at the bottom mentioning them. This could also work well solving some other potential issues - glyphs might work better like this too?
b) add a note in the monkey section stating that monkey tokens may not be removed by any special effect.

I don't like (b), because special abilities are already supposed to override the basic rules, so putting the exception to an ability in the base rules seems confusing. Having an "Other Tokens" catch-all might be appropriate. Since I haven't played RtL--is "Enslaved" something that Sahla should be removing?

Corbon: I'm not convinced Acrobat should be 'as Fly except'. I think it is important to have all the effects of the card on the card (the basics at least) and not have the card refer to another card.

Fly is not "another card." Many skill cards grant standard abilities (Aura, Command, etc.) without reprinting the rules for them. I don't feel real strongly about this, but I don't see any procedural obstacle.

Corbon: Fly: We disagree here. I do see fly specifically protecting against Trap Tokens (not Trap Cards necessarily - surprise gets the effect, but the tokens they leave behind can be flown over). As evidence I offer two things. First, Fly does not have the same exceptions noted in Acrobat for things I would classify as Trap Tokens. Secondly, a figure with Fly may end it's turn on an Obstacle (old screwed up definition - osud) which does damage without taking damage. Now Boulders and Crushing Walls have been defined as obstacles (osud) in the FAQ answer about Crushing Block, despite boulders being classed with Scything Blades as not-obstacles in the Acrobat skill (osud). So if Boulders are obstacles (osud) then probably so are Scything Blades and thus by definition Flyers can end on Scything Blades without taking damage.

So your evidence is that (1) they didn't specifically re-write Fly to explicitly exclude trap tokens, and (2) the precise wording of a tangentially related FAQ answer (in a FAQ notrious for mistakes and typos) that was not explicitly changing classifications and that you have already claimed requires fixing. And you're taking this in preference to clear rules stated in the actual rulebooks that rolling boulders and crushing walls are treated as walls for purposes of blocking movement, and also the happy consistency of fly working on exactly the same set of non-blocking tokens that can be jumped over? Sorry, not buying it. Your interpretation also has this weird dissonance where Fly figures can ignore rolling boulders and crushing walls while the figure is moving but not while the trap is moving.

Also, it was my understanding that Acrobat also permits movement into damaging obstacles without taking the damage. Most particularly pits. I don't have the card in front of me, but what makes you think that Fly does and Acrobat doesn't?

Corbon: I'm not aware of the Knockback/Acrobat/Fly ruling. It is not in the current FAQ, nor in the GLOAQ (there is a relevant question in the GLOAQ but the answer says the hero is a 'valid target' for pit damage - not 'recieves pit damage', which would seem to indicate that some heroes may not receive the damage - due to Acrobat/Fly/Tiger Tattoo etc probably).

OK, guess it was just hearsay. But while we're doing a rewrite, we should probably make sure that the wording is clear one way or the other.

Corbon: Familiars are removeable but then we need to do something about Villagers. I don't see anywhere else suitable to put Villagers. They are not terrain and not obstacles from the pov of Crushing Block. They might be another candidate for a non-classified unique section like monkey wound tokens.

No idea how Villagers are supposed to work.

Corbon: Further Considerations: Yes indeed. Things like these are exactly why we want a classification system rather than an individualised system. Unfortunately there are so many overlaps, crossovers, unique cases and exceptions that a classification system is very difficult.
1) Unless someone comes up with a better system this one might be better to just have the exception. "All figure, Props and Natural Terrain except Corrupted Terrain"
2) Again, unless there is a better system I would keep this one simpler. "Monsters may not spawn on any space they cannot end their turn (aside - which includes other figures, activated glyphs, obstacles, Boulders and Crushing Walls) or entirely inside a pit."

Actually, as currently written (in the JitD rules), monsters can't event spawn overlapping a pit. And it also mentions slime, so I very much doubt the intent was ever "the obvious logical places, plus pits, specifically." It's a bizarre rule, but if we're going to try not to change it, I think it warrants the inclusion of mud, lava, ice, and possibly fog.

Corbon: Large Monsters: Yes, both better than my efforts although the first is partially redundant (if you can't enter then you already can't end).

There exist spaces that you can enter but where you still can't end your movement. Such as active glyphs, and overlapping allied figures.

Corbon said:

Thundercles said:

Obstacles:

Any prop on which a figure cannot end its movement is considered an obstacle. Pits that instantly kill and impassable Trees are considered Obstacles even if the standard versions are simply classified as terrain.

This avoids the problem with using Crushing Block to drop heroes into instant-kill pits.

The problem with that is that Acrobat allows passage through obstacles but specifically not Boulders (or, one assumes, Crushing Walls)

While these adoptions would require an errata to Acrobat (well, one is already required), I do not wish to actually change anything.

Personally I think a FAQ ruling that says you cannot play a Crushing Block next to any impassable and immobile prop or natural terrain space (replacing the current FAQ answer on page 11, which is incomplete anyway) would cover this anyway. Since you die if you enter the pit, you cannot pass it. So you cannot play a block beside it.

That's why I said "on which a figure cannot end its movement". Flying figures and Acrobat can only move through obstacles, you can't land on them (except for specific flying figures who get an immunity to terrain).

Additional stuff in re villagers:

I think they're supposed to be treated like neutral figures. I don't know if Figures have had defined conditions, but I've always seen the shared properties of Monsters and Heroes as being the properties of the Figure class of objects.

Thundercles said:

That's why I said "on which a figure cannot end its movement". Flying figures and Acrobat can only move through obstacles, you can't land on them (except for specific flying figures who get an immunity to terrain).

I suspect you misunderstood him. The problem he was referring to was not that figures with Acrobat/Fly would be able to move through them and therefore they would escape your definition, but that you would implicitly be giving heroes with Acrobat (and, IMO, figures with Fly) the ability to move through things that they couldn't previously move through (by turning more things into obstacles, which Acrobat and Fly allow you to move through).

Antistone said:

Thundercles said:

I suspect you misunderstood him. The problem he was referring to was not that figures with Acrobat/Fly would be able to move through them and therefore they would escape your definition, but that you would implicitly be giving heroes with Acrobat (and, IMO, figures with Fly) the ability to move through things that they couldn't previously move through (by turning more things into obstacles, which Acrobat and Fly allow you to move through).

Ah, I see the mistake now.

Amended to work with Corbon's list:

Obstacles:

Any Terrain-class prop on which a figure cannot end its movement (either because of movement restrictions or immediate destruction) is considered an Obstacle. Pits that instantly kill and impassable Trees are considered Obstacles even if the standard versions are simply classified as Terrain.

Since Trap-type and a few other special props are not terrain, this should fix the props list to work properly with the trap card definition of obstacle. It still excludes pits as obstacles normally, but I get the impression that y'all are working on fixing that bit anyhow.

Corbon actually included rolling boulders and crushing walls as terrain, but IMO they shouldn't be.

More fodder for the list:

Q. What happens to item cards (other than relics) that are dropped or sold, and to treasure caches after they are resolved?

Suggestion 1: They are removed from the game and can never be obtained again.

Suggestion 2: Shop items are returned to the shop deck and become available for purchase in town. Treasures are put into a discard pile specific to their original deck, and if that deck is ever depleted, the corresponding discard pile is reshuffled to creat a new deck.

Suggestion 3: Option 1 for dropped items, option 2 for sold items and treasure caches.

Suggestion 4: All sold items (including treasures) are placed in the shop deck, and may be purchased for their value from the shop with no randomness involved. Dropped items and treasure caches are removed from the game per option 1.

Edit: Also maybe a reference to Crushing Blow in there somewhere, though I would be surprised if it were different from the rule for dropped items.

Actually, having botched my list attempts so badly and missed a number of rules that caused me to misunderstand a few things I have tried to restart, go back to the books (as I should have done first time around) and the current FAQ, and produce something entirely different from my first botch job.

It is actually quite astonishing how little needs to change with regards to stuff on the board and classifications.
I'll try to post later today (within the next 9 hrs) but that will depend on how busy I am at work.

Finally pulled out the Acrobat card (the WoD version) to check the wording:

"You may move through enemy figures. In addition, you may enter and move through obstacles (but not other props, such as scything blades or boulders) without effect. You may not end your movement or make an attack from a space occupied by either another figure or an obstacle that blocks movement."

I notice that whoever wrote this text clearly believed that neither scything blades nor boulders were considered obstacles, which only reinforces my belief that Fly should provide no advantages against them. I can't find any rule anywhere that even hints that Fly would help with anything other than obstacles or figures.

Also observe that it says an Acrobat may enter and move through obstacles without effect. So if you can find an obstacle that specifically inflicts damage when you end your movement there, I'll grant that Acrobat is damaged by RAW, but since pits and lava inflict damage when you enter, I maintain that a hero with Acrobat is unharmed.

Antistone said:

Corbon actually included rolling boulders and crushing walls as terrain, but IMO they shouldn't be.

More fodder for the list:

Q. What happens to item cards (other than relics) that are dropped or sold, and to treasure caches after they are resolved?

Suggestion 1: They are removed from the game and can never be obtained again.

Suggestion 2: Shop items are returned to the shop deck and become available for purchase in town. Treasures are put into a discard pile specific to their original deck, and if that deck is ever depleted, the corresponding discard pile is reshuffled to creat a new deck.

Suggestion 3: Option 1 for dropped items, option 2 for sold items and treasure caches.

Suggestion 4: All sold items (including treasures) are placed in the shop deck, and may be purchased for their value from the shop with no randomness involved. Dropped items and treasure caches are removed from the game per option 1.

Edit: Also maybe a reference to Crushing Blow in there somewhere, though I would be surprised if it were different from the rule for dropped items.

Corbon said:

Actually, having botched my list attempts so badly and missed a number of rules that caused me to misunderstand a few things I have tried to restart, go back to the books (as I should have done first time around) and the current FAQ, and produce something entirely different from my first botch job.

It is actually quite astonishing how little needs to change with regards to stuff on the board and classifications.
I'll try to post later today (within the next 9 hrs) but that will depend on how busy I am at work.

Ok, here is the basic research results.

Original Rules
Obstacles: Altars, Corrupted spaces, Fog, Lava, Mud, Pits, Rubble, Water
Traps: Scything Blades and Dart Fields, Boulders, Crushing Walls and Boulder Ramp
Not clear (part of 'collected obstacles and props'): Ice, Monster Eggs, Frozen Sarcophagus, Trees, Beds, Bone Heaps, Fountains, Giant Mushrooms, Tables, Thrones, Sarcophagus, Summoning Circles, Villagers.
Other Props: Staircases, Glyphs
Treasure: Potions, Money, Chests, Relics (Rune Keys probably fit here but are conspicuously not mentioned).
Lingering Effects: Burn, Poison, Stun, Transformed (monkey), Bleed, Daze, Curse, Frost, Sleep, Poison, Enslaved.
Figures: Heroes, Monsters.

FAQ References
"Sarcophagus", "Table", "Bed", "Fountain", "Throne", "Bone Heap", "Giant Mushrooms", "Tree" and "Ice" become Obstacles.
Boulder and Crushing wall count as obstacles for the purposes of Crushing Block (But are not actually obstacles. I believe we can cover this one by fixing this FAQ reference).
Chests, Glyphs, Potions, Coin Piles, and Rune Keys do not count as empty spaces.
Note: I think that leaves every Prop, Obstacle, Trap, Treasure and Figure except Corrupted Terrain, counting as a not-empty space.
Villagers are figures.

Proposal
Most importantly, provide the summary below at either the very beginning or the very end of the FAQ.
Add Ice, Monster Eggs, Frozen Sarcophagus, Trees, Beds, Bone Heaps, Fountains, Giant Mushrooms, Tables, Thrones, Sarcophagus and Summoning Circles to Obstacles. Add Villagers to Figures.
Change FAQ references:
- Pg 2. Large monsters and terrain rewritten (but not by this entry)
- Pg 7. Add Frozen Sarcohagus, Monster Eggs, Tables and Summoning circles to the question about Obstacles
- Pg 11. Add "Trees (if impassable), Insta-Death Pits (comments?)," to the Crushing Block/Obstacles answer. Alternatively just remove the list or add that this list is not exhaustive.

Summary
Obstacles: Altars, Corrupted spaces, Fog, Lava, Mud, Pits, Rubble, Water, Ice, Monster Eggs, Frozen Sarcophagus, Trees, Beds, Bone Heaps, Fountains, Giant Mushrooms, Tables, Thrones, Sarcophagus, Summoning Circles.
Traps: Scything Blades, Dart Fields, Boulders, Crushing Walls and Boulder Ramps
Other Props: Staircases, Glyphs
Treasure: Potions, Money, Chests, Relics, Rune Keys
Lingering Effects: Burn, Poison, Stun, Transformed (monkey), Bleed, Daze, Curse, Frost, Sleep, Poison, Enslaved.
Note: Since Transformed Token (monkey) is not ‘placed on’ a figure but ‘replaces’ a figure, Sahla cannot remove it.
Figures: Heroes, Monsters, Villagers.
Note: I don't particularly like such things as Corrupted Spaces and Giant Mushrooms being Obstacles, since they are not 'obstacly' - they just have some effect if certain things happen in that space that don't involve movement

Acrobat:Does not need changing after all.
Fly: Also does not need changing after all.

Spawning:
From the rules we have the following...
1. The overlord player may not place spawned monsters in a space that contains a figure or an obstacle, such as a pit, rubble, water, or slime.
2. The overlord player may place spawned monsters in a space that contains a treasure or encounter marker.
3. If the base of the spawned monster takes up more than one space, all of the spaces in which the overlord places the monster must be on the board and free of figures or obstacles
4. extra stuff about no unrevealed areas, no hero LOS
From the FAQ we have
5. Monsters cannot spawn on an activated glyph
6. Monsters cannot spawn in a portal

Only change needed – collate by adding 5 and 6 to 1 and 3, Traps and Other props (glyphs only if unactivated) to 2.

Suggestion/Summary:
1. The overlord player may not place spawned monsters in a space that contains a figure, obstacle, activated glyph or is a Portal space.
2. Treasure, Encounter markers, Traps and Other Props (except activated glyphs) do not prevent spawning. (Wording changed to prevent any confusion with, say, a treasure within LOS).
3. If the base of the spawned monster takes up more than one space, all of the spaces in which the overlord places the monster legal spawning spaces.
4. no changes.

There is still more to sort out, but that is a start, and I think a better ordered one than before.

New Question
Enslaved. The RtL rules state that an enslaved hero who has rolled a surge is taken over by the Avatar’s mental powers and he is controlled by the overlord player this turn.
It also states that this effect is similar to the “Dark Charm” card, except that the overlord cannot force the hero to attack himself. Which is not much like "controlling a hero for a turn"!
How similar? Is the OL restricted no movement, no re-equip and a single attack with the hero like a Dark Charm? Can the OL spend hero resources (fatigue, Potions)? Does the OL get to Declare an action by the hero? Can the Hero use Movement points, Battle, Aim, Run, Reequip at the start of his turn etc etc?
If it is just exactly like a dark charm it is far too easy to get around - a melee hero simply has to not be adjacent to any of his friends since he can't move and can't attack himself. Any other hero simply has to spend 2 MP (fatigue) to re-equip with no weapon at the end of his turn.
If it is full control then it is overly powerful. Fatigue and potions can be wasted easily, more importantly the hero can simply discard all equipment (after attacking, using fatigue!)
Note that the whole upgrade is already problematic as after paying 30XP for it you may never get to use it if the heroes simply use the Secret Master Training areas instead.
It needs to be somewhere in between.
Suggestion: My personal ideal would be that the Enslaved Hero is treated as a Master monster. (Master for the purposes of Stun and anything similar which makes a difference) He gains MP up to his Move and can Attack once (the same as monsters). He may fill his hands with weapons (special rule to prevent heroes disarming) but may not discard anything and cannot otherwise re-equip (neither can monsters). He may not spend fatigue for any purpose or drink potions using MP (neither can monsters). He is considered friendly to himself and the Avatar, enemy to other heroes.

Still haven't played RtL, but why "He may not...drink potions using MP"? Is there a way to drink potions without using MP, and if there was, would you think that was a reasonable thing to allow the overlord to do?

(Caught my attention because there actually is a way to drink potions without MP in The Enduring Evil--an "other" item available from the shop.)

Suggest your suggestion include an explicit rule for whether cards can be exhausted. It's disallowed in the case of Dark Charm, where I think it makes sense because you'd be robbing the hero of resources he could use later during the turn, but if the OL steals an entire turn then one could argue it's fair game.

Seems like a very hard effect to balance. Depending on the circumstances, couldn't the OL run the hero in front of a rolling boulder or back and forth through lava or some such?

Large Monsters and Props
1. Large figures may not enter any space that small figures cannot enter, and may not end their movement overlapping any space that small figures cannot end their movement within.
2. When a large monster moves, it is affected only by any spaces it moves into that it did not already occupy. Each single space of movement is adjudicated separately for this purpose.
3. When a large monster is stationary it is affected by all spaces that it occupies.
4. A large monster only suffers one space worth of each effect type that is affecting it, regardless of how many of the monster's spaces are being affected.
5. If a large monster does not move at all in it’s turn it is treated as having being in each of the spaces it occupies at the end of it’s turn for effects such as Lava and Aura that have rules covering not moving out of those spaces. Rule 4 still applies.
6. Pits, Mud and Lava (which all have specific notes in their individual rules) do not affect large monsters whether moving or stationary unless all their spaces are on the pit or on the Lava respectively.

eg1. ETTE A 4x2 corridor with a Troll (T) and a water space (W). Remaining Spaces are empty (E).
ETTW The Troll can not move to the right because it may not enter the Water Obstacle (Rule 1)

eg2 ETTEEE A 6x2 corridor with a Troll (T) and a Tree (X). Remaining Spaces are empty (E).
ETTXEE The Troll's first move to the right will cost 2MP because the troll is entering the Tree space.
(Rule 2)
The Troll's second move to the right will cost 1 MP because the Tree was previously occupied.
(Rule 2)
The Troll can now claim the benefits of being in the tree when attacked because one (rear)
space of the Troll is in the Tree (Rule 3)

eg3 ETTXEE A 6x2 corridor with a charging (double MP) Troll (T) and a some trees (X). Remaining Spaces
ETTXXE are empty (E).
The Troll's first move to the right will cost it 2MP to enter the trees. (Rule 2)
It will only cost 2MP because the Troll can only be affected once each space of movement even
though two of it's spaces are newly occupying the trees. (Rule 4)
The Troll's second move will also cost 2MP because it is entering one new tree. The other two
trees do not cost extra to move into because they are not new spaces being entered (Rule 2),
and also because the troll is only affect once each space of movement by each type of obstacle
(Rule 4).
The Troll's third move will cost 1MP because there is no new tree.
The Troll can now claim the benefits of being in the tree when attacked because one (rear)
space of the Troll is in the Tree (Rule 3)

eg4 ETTEEE A 6x2 corridor with a Troll (T) and a Pit (P). Remaining Spaces are empty (E).
ETTPEE The Troll may move to the right without being affected by the Pit as at no time will all of it's
spaces be in the pit. (Rule 5)

eg5 ETTPPE A 6x2 corridor with a Troll (T) and a large Pit (P). Remaining Spaces are empty (E).
ETTPPE When the Troll moves to the right it's first move will be unaffected as only half it's spaces will be
in the pit. (Rule 5)
It's second move will be affected by the pit (takes one damage, and only one damage) as all of
it's spaces are in the pit. (Rule 2,4,5)
It's third move will cost an extra MP (to get out of the pit which it is in - (Rule 2,5)) and thus will not
be possible unless the Troll has received extra Movement from a Charge card or other source.
The Troll is now in the pit and thus has LOS only to spaces adjacent to the pit. (Rule 3,5)

Antistone said:

Still haven't played RtL, but why "He may not...drink potions using MP"? Is there a way to drink potions without using MP, and if there was, would you think that was a reasonable thing to allow the overlord to do?

(Caught my attention because there actually is a way to drink potions without MP in The Enduring Evil--an "other" item available from the shop.)

Suggest your suggestion include an explicit rule for whether cards can be exhausted. It's disallowed in the case of Dark Charm, where I think it makes sense because you'd be robbing the hero of resources he could use later during the turn, but if the OL steals an entire turn then one could argue it's fair game.

Seems like a very hard effect to balance. Depending on the circumstances, couldn't the OL run the hero in front of a rolling boulder or back and forth through lava or some such?

As far as the OL trying to kill/abuse the Enslaved hero goes I don't really have a problem with that. The hero is restricted from attacking his own space (though not from attacking himself when targeting another space with a blast weapon) which covers the most significant damage he could do to himself. And an OL which kills of the enslaved hero first is probably a mug anyway. The enslaved hero (and the OL) should be battering away the other heroes first. Having the Enslaved Hero count as friendly to the OL also neatly sidesteps any abuse issue with a large Aura.
In addition, the Enslaved only kicks in during the actual Avatar battle - at which time there is a very limited specific terrain area and no other monsters or cards. Have to check whether any of the Avatar battles have any abuseable terrain systems but I rather suspect that the pits around the Spider Queen will be the worst available abuse, which is hardly significant.

Great work on the list. My only concern is classifying Villagers as figures, but since I'm not exactly where they should fit I don't have a solution. As long as its specified somewhere that or clarified that even if Villagers are figures that they are not capable of blocking spawning.

Big Remy said:

Great work on the list. My only concern is classifying Villagers as figures, but since I'm not exactly where they should fit I don't have a solution. As long as its specified somewhere that or clarified that even if Villagers are figures that they are not capable of blocking spawning.

Villagers are specified as figures in the current FAQ. I think it is at the end of the crushing-block-beside-what question on page 11.

AFAICT there is no need to mention spawning.
- As figures they can't be spawned upon.
- They aren't heroes, so don't block spawning in their LOS.
- They aren't monsters so do block hero LOS for the purposes of spawning.

I'm not really interested in too many clarifications for things that are actually clear in the rules. There are enough unclear things to fix before we 'fix' clear things just so incompetent idiots can understand the simplest interaction between rule A and rule B.

Corbon said:

Big Remy said:

Villagers are specified as figures in the current FAQ. I think it is at the end of the crushing-block-beside-what question on page 11.

I'm not really interested in too many clarifications for things that are actually clear in the rules. There are enough unclear things to fix before we 'fix' clear things just so incompetent idiots can understand the simplest interaction between rule A and rule B.

While that may be the way it is written, I think questions like that come up because people see the gap where the possible intent is. RAW you are correct, but I'm not entirely certain that this is the way that FFG meant for it to be. Just seems like something that could be clarified.

Corbon said:

Big Remy said:

I agree, but how many times have we seen OL's come on here saying their players hit them with the argument that Villagers provide LOS for the heroes, and the OL looking for a rule that says no they don't? I'd rather FFG waste the space for a sentence to say "No, Villagers do not block spawning" and have it out there clear as day.

Corbon said:

Big Remy said:

I asked: They don't block LoS for the purposes of spawning. No figure ever blocks LoS for the purposes of spawning. That much is already defined, and was in the GLoAQ on the old boards.

I'm glad I was the one who asked, because people always forget the answer and I'm still around to dispense it..

From my email:

Re: Rules Question : Descent‏
Sent: Fri 7/11/08 9:54 AM
To: [MY EMAIL WAS HERE]

No, figures never block line of sight for spawning purposes.

On Jul 11, 2008, at 3:26 AM, [MY NAME AND STUFF] wrote:

> Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
> [MY NAME AND ALSO EMAIL] on Friday, July 11, 2008 at
> 03:26:14
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> questionfor: Descent
>
> question: Do any figures block the heroes' line of sight for the
> purposes of spawning?
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

Best to put this in the GLoAQ thread here as well.

Remy - the RtL fatigue token limit question should probably be added to the list if it isn't sent in already, since that's come up twice in the past couple of months at least that I remember.

pinkymadigan said:

Remy - the RtL fatigue token limit question should probably be added to the list if it isn't sent in already, since that's come up twice in the past couple of months at least that I remember.

Noted

And probably the questions concerning Magic Gateways in RtL (see thread a few days ago) should be included as well.