Some clarifications... AoD and general...

By SoyGreen, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

1. I want to clarify - to make sure that I am right on this one. Placing of an order - such as Aim, Dodge, Guard, Rest - is not just automatically done each turn. If the hero makes 2 attacks (without moving of course) for example, they no longer have any turn left to then place an order - correct? (Ignoring any other skills that may allow them if they spend fatigue for example.)

2. Exhausting a shield. Specifially for an example - Skull Shield from AoD. "Exhaust to cancel 2 wounds being dealt to you. You may cancel wounds that ignore armor (such as damage from traps.)" Also - it has "+5 Armor vs. Blast, Bolt, or Breath attacks." Lets say I attack a hero who has this shield. I attack and they exaust the card to cancel 2 wounds from the attack. The card is exhausted until their turn starts again when they refresh their cards (which they do not do until it is that particular heroes turn if I understand correctly - NOT to be refreshed once the OL's turn is over - not until that particular heroes turn - so that is question 2b if that needs discussion) - so - the question then, if I attack that hero again - they obviously do not get to use the cancel 2 wounds - but do they still have the +5 armor vs. blast, bolt, or breath attacks? Or since the card is exhausted from the canceling of 2 wounds - does the hero then not have that benefit from the shield as well? Being it was exhausted?

3. My last question is about Dark Glyphs. On page 5 of the game manual for AoD it says: "Each dark glyph costs 2 treachery of the appropriate color (see below). At the start of the game, if the overlord purchases any dark glyphs..." skip to the example. "Example: Evan has 3 unspent trap treachery and 2 unspent monster treachery, for a total of 5 unspent treachery points. He decides to purchase 1 dark glyph of the Sundered (green) type." Then the following diagram shows: Event (green), Trap (purple), Monster (red).

I am essentially confused - cause in the example he has purple and red treachery left over - but buys a green Dark Glyph... When right above it it said "each dark glyph costs 2 treachery of the appropriate color" - is the example wrong?

Thanks!

SoylentGreen said:

1. I want to clarify - to make sure that I am right on this one. Placing of an order - such as Aim, Dodge, Guard, Rest - is not just automatically done each turn. If the hero makes 2 attacks (without moving of course) for example, they no longer have any turn left to then place an order - correct? (Ignoring any other skills that may allow them if they spend fatigue for example.)

Orders can normally only be placed when a hero performs a Ready action. Making two attacks is normally only possible when you declare a Battle action.

Note that heroes (except for Grey Ker) need to declare their action at the start of their turn, and cannot change their minds part-way through.

SoylentGreen said:

2. Exhausting a shield. Specifially for an example - Skull Shield from AoD. "Exhaust to cancel 2 wounds being dealt to you. You may cancel wounds that ignore armor (such as damage from traps.)" Also - it has "+5 Armor vs. Blast, Bolt, or Breath attacks." Lets say I attack a hero who has this shield. I attack and they exaust the card to cancel 2 wounds from the attack. The card is exhausted until their turn starts again when they refresh their cards (which they do not do until it is that particular heroes turn if I understand correctly - NOT to be refreshed once the OL's turn is over - not until that particular heroes turn - so that is question 2b if that needs discussion) - so - the question then, if I attack that hero again - they obviously do not get to use the cancel 2 wounds - but do they still have the +5 armor vs. blast, bolt, or breath attacks? Or since the card is exhausted from the canceling of 2 wounds - does the hero then not have that benefit from the shield as well? Being it was exhausted?

This is clarified in the FAQ, page 7:

Q: If an item such as a shield is exhausted, are its passive abilities (if any) disabled?
A: No. The only limitation is that the item cannot use any ability that requires it to exhaust until it has been refreshed.

So your hero would still receive the armor bonus against blast/bolt/breath attacks.

SoylentGreen said:

3. My last question is about Dark Glyphs. On page 5 of the game manual for AoD it says: "Each dark glyph costs 2 treachery of the appropriate color (see below). At the start of the game, if the overlord purchases any dark glyphs..." skip to the example. "Example: Evan has 3 unspent trap treachery and 2 unspent monster treachery, for a total of 5 unspent treachery points. He decides to purchase 1 dark glyph of the Sundered (green) type." Then the following diagram shows: Event (green), Trap (purple), Monster (red).

I am essentially confused - cause in the example he has purple and red treachery left over - but buys a green Dark Glyph... When right above it it said "each dark glyph costs 2 treachery of the appropriate color" - is the example wrong?

Good catch; I hadn't noticed that before. I would assume that the example is wrong, because the matching colors look intentional and dark glyphs are already quite powerful.

Antistone said:

SoylentGreen said:

Orders can normally only be placed when a hero performs a Ready action. Making two attacks is normally only possible when you declare a Battle action.

Note that heroes (except for Grey Ker) need to declare their action at the start of their turn, and cannot change their minds part-way through.

So yes - the heroes in Step Three - Take an Action are one of the following:

a. Run - gets twice the movement speed
b. Battle - gets 2 attacks and no movement
c. Advance - move up to movement speed and attack - in any order or split movement if hero wants
d. Ready - an order AND one move or attack or concentrate - as clarified on page 5 of AoD rules.

Yay