Flying bases for custom minis

By Ardias, in Wings of War (WWII)

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to WoW : Dawn of World War 2, and I have a question about using your own miniatures to supplement those available.

As someone who is trying to get back into building plastic model aircraft - I sadly managed years ago to convince myself that work denies me sufficient time to pursue the hobby - I thought that perhaps building a few 1/144 scale aircraft for use in WoW would be a good starting point.

That said, I've seen a lot of very informative posts about players's popular choices for pre-painted and kit-form 1/144 mini's, but I am uncertain what people are using for the stands. (Btw, what is the generally accepted term to refer to them haha. I've seen "pegs," "stands," "flying bases," and "flight bases" so far.)

I saw in kaufschtick's incredible post of his massive collection where he referred to using styrene plastic rods commonly available in hobby shops for the flying pegs, but I was wondering what people are using for the actual bases? I saw some references to using the "WoW 1 stands," but does that mean people are using the same bases from previously purchased WoW (World War 1) aircraft mini's?

I did recently find these Litko Flight Bases - Wings of Warâ„¢-compatible .

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Ardias said:

I saw some references to using the "WoW 1 stands," but does that mean people are using the same bases from previously purchased WoW (World War 1) aircraft mini's?

That's exactly what I do.

I have all of the WWI aircraft, 37 bases in all, (+one replacement of a Belgium Sopwith Camel that found itself under foot to my 17 year old son, the plane didn't survive, but the base and flight pegs soldier on happy.gif ) and I use styrene plastic to modify a "post" on the underside of the 1/144 scale planes, so they fit on the WWI flight stands/pegs just like the WWI planes.

I recently picked up some 1/200 models as well as the WoW models. My plan is to make a base using clear acrylic. Then scan the WoW base and create a decal using clear decal paper and decal onto the clear base. I have 20 WWI models, so I will just use the pegs from them.

Anyone else ever try this? I will let you know how it goes. I have had success making decals before with other projects.

The Litko stuff looks pretty decent, only I saw on their site that there was some kind of "WoW adapter" for the flight pegs they use to hook into the WoW WWI plane miniatures.

So apparently the flight pegs from Litko & the ones you get from WoW are not compatable with one another.

Other than that, the Litko stuff looks pretty good to me, although I prefer to have all the same flight stands and pegs, so I haven't had any real urge to consider trying any of it. I do remember that they had some nifty "flame" and "smoke" markers that fit on their flight posts, however...

I decided to give the Litko stuff a try as well. I figure it will be easier than trying to cut my own. I may still try to decal the image on the base. I ordered the basic bases, various size pegs and peg toppers (not sure what these are for).

My question to those that have used them is how do you attach a now WoW model. I bought some metal planes to customize. My thoughs were to either:

1. Drill a small hole so the litko peg will fit into the model like AAM minis do

or

2. attach a small tab to the model so they work like WoW models

Here are the 1/200 models I will be working with:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Modeling/DSCN0821.jpg

TIA,

Aaron

afilter said:

Ah, I've never seen the Air200 planes before, is there a website off the top of your head for these you'd recommend? What are they charging for those?

A friend of mine is jumping on board with the 1/200 scale miniatures, he may be interested in these to augment his WoW planes.

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

Ah, I've never seen the Air200 planes before, is there a website off the top of your head for these you'd recommend? What are they charging for those?

A friend of mine is jumping on board with the 1/200 scale miniatures, he may be interested in these to augment his WoW planes.

I bought mine at a stor called the Last Square in Madison, WI. They also do quite a bit of online oreders as well.

http://www.lastsquare.com/

2 Pak of unpainted at $6.99. Singles of the larger planes like Val and Stuka are $5.99. With decals and Litko bases I figure they will be about 1/2 the cost of a WoW model plus time painting. They are not as detailed as the WoW models, but are pretty nice. I just finished painting my first Six.

If you are not a Painter the Last Square also offers painted versions.

HTH,

Aaron

afilter said:

kaufschtick said:

afilter said:

I bought mine at a stor called the Last Square in Madison, WI. They also do quite a bit of online oreders as well.

http://www.lastsquare.com/

2 Pak of unpainted at $6.99. Singles of the larger planes like Val and Stuka are $5.99. With decals and Litko bases I figure they will be about 1/2 the cost of a WoW model plus time painting. They are not as detailed as the WoW models, but are pretty nice. I just finished painting my first Six.

If you are not a Painter the Last Square also offers painted versions.

HTH,

Aaron

I order from them quite a bit. They are great.

One of the few online stores that sale noble 1/200 and navwar 1/300

they have just about everyting. Wal-Mart but cooler.

Thanks fellas! I'll have to check this out! cool.gif

I'm glad you posted this. I have 4 1/144 fighters looking for bases.

All,

My Litko stuff arrived this week while I was camping. I am very impressed ith how well it works with the 1/200 models I have painted. I am happy enought that I have already placed an order for 10 more bases and some more pegs. I am also going to try the dice holder from tracking altitude.

When I made my initial purchase I bought some of the peg toppers for converting the WoW models not knowing what they were. Glad I did as I think the Litko ones are much sturdier than the WoW pegs that I plan to use them with my WoW models. the converstion topper allows you to mount a WoW model on the litko stand.

One modification I did make is to put a peg topper (you get 20 in a pack) on the base of my stands as well as on the aircraft. This makes the peg much more sturdy when it is inserted into the base. We have not played altitude much yet, but I think these will work nicely with a range of about 6 in altitude. I cannot imagine aircraft getting more than 2-3 away from eachother anyway and staying in the fight.

Here is a pic of the bases. Four of the planes pictured are WoW models (3 Spitfires 1 ME109) the other six are the AIR200 ones I painted.

DSCN0869.jpg