RTL Training

By Ubbo_Sathla, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

2 questions

1. When training at a Secret Master do u get normal training i.e.(1 skill or 2 trait) and then the choice to buy the "Secret Training" , or do u only get 1 choice? i.e(1 skill or 2 trait or secret)

2. When starting a campain @ silver or gold does each hero train once at each location you choose or as many times as they like at each location you choose?

thx all!

Ubbo_Sathla said:

2 questions

1. When training at a Secret Master do u get normal training i.e.(1 skill or 2 trait) and then the choice to buy the "Secret Training" , or do u only get 1 choice? i.e(1 skill or 2 trait or secret)

2. When starting a campain @ silver or gold does each hero train once at each location you choose or as many times as they like at each location you choose?

thx all!

1. One choice. There is nothing to indicate that you can 'double train' for secret master specials except sloppy reading. Sorry I don't have the texts available to quote right now.

2. There is nothing to limit the number of times you can train at a location.

Corbon said:

Ubbo_Sathla said:

2 questions

thx all!

1. One choice. There is nothing to indicate that you can 'double train' for secret master specials except sloppy reading. Sorry I don't have the texts available to quote right now.

However, if the heroes choose a Recuperate/Train action while at a Secret Master Area, they have the option to improve their maximum wounds or maximum fatigue. See “Secret Training” on page 23 for detailed information. Heroes can also opt to learn skills or improve their traits at Secret Master Areas, in similar fashion to training at a city’s Training Ground. See “Hero Upgrades” on page 23.

Some people will argue that the Secret Training Upgrades (+4W or +2F at each level) are 'extras' and do not take time. They claim this because the language used on page 23 is sloppily written and merely says you can increase wounds/fatigue if you spend a weak training at the location. It does not specifically say that you must spend the week training for that upgrade (so they claim you can train for a different upgrade - a skill or trait increase, and get the wounds/fatigue upgrade at the same time).. As well as not indicating any time-cost, the specific passage they refer to* also does not say that you have to pay gold/xp costs, though those costs are given explicitly later in the same paragraph. Frankly these people are attempting to rules-lawyer and failing miserably, giving a bad name to all proper rules 'lawyers' who merely use logic and language rules to attempt to resolve uncertainties in rules wordings. The equivalent of ambulance chasers you might say...
However the quoted passage on page 20 clearly shows that increasing wounds/fatigue is an 'option' in exactly the same way that learning skills or increasing traits is an 'option' (the heroes can opt) when training at a Secret Master Area.

* RtL pg 23
When the party takes a game week Recuperate/Train action at a Secret Master Area, a hero can increase either his maximum wounds by four, or his maximum fatigue by two ...

2. RtL pg 9
Next, the heroes may purchase any training that they could receive in Tamalir. Finally, the hero players, as a group, choose two cities and/or secret masters, and may then purchase any training they could receive at those locations

The purchase is of any training, not X weeks to train in those locations.

Corbon said:

Corbon said:

Ubbo_Sathla said:

2 questions

thx all!

Sorry to reply to myself, but here is the reasoning and quotations.

1. RtL pg 20
However, if the heroes choose a Recuperate/Train action while at a Secret Master Area, they have the option to improve their maximum wounds or maximum fatigue. See “Secret Training” on page 23 for detailed information. Heroes can also opt to learn skills or improve their traits at Secret Master Areas, in similar fashion to training at a city’s Training Ground. See “Hero Upgrades” on page 23.

Some people will argue that the Secret Training Upgrades (+4W or +2F at each level) are 'extras' and do not take time. They claim this because the language used on page 23 is sloppily written and merely says you can increase wounds/fatigue if you spend a weak training at the location. It does not specifically say that you must spend the week training for that upgrade (so they claim you can train for a different upgrade - a skill or trait increase, and get the wounds/fatigue upgrade at the same time).. As well as not indicating any time-cost, the specific passage they refer to* also does not say that you have to pay gold/xp costs, though those costs are given explicitly later in the same paragraph. Frankly these people are attempting to rules-lawyer and failing miserably, giving a bad name to all proper rules 'lawyers' who merely use logic and language rules to attempt to resolve uncertainties in rules wordings. The equivalent of ambulance chasers you might say...
However the quoted passage on page 20 clearly shows that increasing wounds/fatigue is an 'option' in exactly the same way that learning skills or increasing traits is an 'option' (the heroes can opt) when training at a Secret Master Area.

* RtL pg 23
When the party takes a game week Recuperate/Train action at a Secret Master Area, a hero can increase either his maximum wounds by four, or his maximum fatigue by two ...

2. RtL pg 9
Next, the heroes may purchase any training that they could receive in Tamalir. Finally, the hero players, as a group, choose two cities and/or secret masters, and may then purchase any training they could receive at those locations

The purchase is of any training, not X weeks to train in those locations.

+1