Miniature storage

By Bluedevil_be, in Wings of War

Great idea on the card sleeves - but what about the bombers? Do you just leave those loose in the plastic box? Or are there bigger card sleeves?

Oddly, I have all the fighters a few times over but no bombers. This will change with the upcoming Bristol F2B miniature, as this two-seater is also a fighter.

For the bombers I suggest the following, albeit I haven't tried any of these solutions. I would probably try option 1 first, as this is the cheapest solution and the materials would already be in your possession.

1. slip one standard card sleeve over the left bomber wing and another over the right bomber wing.

2. use soft plastic CD protector sleeves - maybe cut these in half to make two sleeves as they are quite large.

3. use 3x5 or 4x6 inch recipe/photo card protectors.

It would be great for someone to post the effectiveness of any of these options.

I went the route of the Army Transport mentioned on the first page. Here are a couple of pics of my setup...

wowtrans1.jpg

wowtrans2.jpg

For the fighters I use the 1.5 inch foam trays. I can fit 4 planes, their movement decks, altitude sticks (under movement deck) and two damage decks per tray. I've also slid teh plane's card in to the tray where the plane goes. That makes if super easy to put the plane back in the right place.

wowtrans3.jpg

For the two seaters, I use the 2 inch foam trays as some the the planes are a little larger and taller. I'll be able to get 3 to 4 of these per tray.

wowtrans4.jpg

Extra card decks and counters are kept in another 1.5 inch tray.

The planes could be placed closre together if they were staggard nose to tail. You could also put more fighters in a 2 inch tray. The 1.5 inch trays are not quite tall enough to hold the cards standing straight up, so they have to be leaned, taking up more space in the tray.

If you didn't have the card decks in the trays, would the fighters fit in a 1" tray, and the bombers in a 1.5" tray? It looks like there is some extra room above the wings. I was thinking that all 12 planes from a series could fit in a tray, with the cards and bases kept in either another tray or a Plano box.

Peppermeister said:

If you didn't have the card decks in the trays, would the fighters fit in a 1" tray, and the bombers in a 1.5" tray? It looks like there is some extra room above the wings. I was thinking that all 12 planes from a series could fit in a tray, with the cards and bases kept in either another tray or a Plano box.

Most of the fighters would easily fit into a 1" tray. However, the Albatroses will not really fit. They are right at 1", so you would need a little more room to make the trays lay flat. I'd stick with the 1.5" for the fighters. For the two seaters, I only have the DH4 and the LFG Roland C.II. Both of those would have fit into a 1.5" tray as well. I did not think the DH4 would, so I went with the 2" trays instead. Since the trays cost the same, it's not that big of a deal. I so lose a little bit of storage space in the case I guess.

As for keeping the cards in a separate tray or case, that would save you room in the trays for more planes. You could not get all 12 planes from a series in one tray though. With one cell of foam between planes (even rotated nose, tail, nose tail), you could get 10 of the fighters in one tray. Putting the two seaters in there greatly reduces that.

I really like having the cards for each plane located right next to them. It's very convenient just to pull out one tray to play either side. Looking back, I might have gone with 2" trays for them all. I could have gotten 8 planes (fighters) with maneuver decks in each tray. I'm pretty sure that a full series would fit into two 2" trays with the damage decks and counters. You would have lots of extra room above the planes, but you would save quite a bit of money cutting down on the number of trays you need. Using 1.5" trays the way I have them pictured above, it will cost $40 to house all the planes, damage decks and counters. Going with 2" trays, should cost only $30. With three series out right now, that would save $30, enough to buy the trays for series 4 when it comes out.

Hope that helps!

I like HMS Haji's idea for airplane storage/transport, and I like Peppermeister's idea for storing the decks and other cards. Right now, my minis are stacked up on my shelves in the basement, still in their boxes.

Update: As I have picked up more planes and planning on having one of each from all three series, I've revised my storage system. The counters have been placed in a small, segerated plastic container that fits into the big pocket on the outside of my SS Design carring case. The rules also go in there. The two large side pockets are used for the gun measuring stick and balloon cards.

I made a Power Point file that shows the grids in the foam, and I also made a shape for each of the current WWI minitures. These shapes can be moved around to allow you to optimize the layout of each foam tray. I also moved all the single seat fighters to 1" trays and the larger 2 seat planes to 1.5" trays. I store all of the damage, manuver, and ground target cards in three 2" trays. This setup allows me to carry every thing from the first three games and miniature releases in one bag with room for about another 15 smaller planes if need be.

I'll try and get some photos up on the new setup, but you can see a screen shot of the Power Point trays and shapes. You can also download the zip file for this from my site .

WoWlayout.jpg

I use Raaco containers (danish made) with a piece of cotton under the planes and on top of them, works very well.

The original boxes are not so great, takes up too much space, I have currently 35 planes, about half Wow planes and the rest Red eagle tin planes and I really can't letting them take more space than they must. Also the tin planes are very sensitive, the Wow planes are more sturdy so therefore I use the cotton lining but it really helps protect the Wow planes also.

I use an S&S Design filled with foam trays to carry my Wings of War minis around. I can fit one of each plane from series 1-3 as well as about 10-12 extra planes (handy for repaints and squadrons), all of the maneuver decks for those planes, 4 A damage decks, 2 B damage decks, 1 C and 1 D damage decks, ground targets, and extra cards. I also fit a small plastic box to hold all the counters and some dice. The outside pockets are used for balloon cards, range rulers and rule books.

The case closed up...

wowtransa.jpg

The case opened up. You can see I've labeled the trays on the side so I can find the right decks quickly.

wowtransg.jpg

These shots show the 1 inch trays with the planes in them...

I've got one more Spad coming and it will go in the tray on the right.
wowtransb.jpg

1.5 inch trays hold the two seaters

wowtransc.jpg

The tray on the right has room for extra planes and the one on the left needs two more D.VIIs and then it will have extra planes in it. I have one more of these trays that is in the case that is completely empty and will be used for extra planes.

wowtransd.jpg

These three 2 inch trays hold a total of decks of cards.

wowtranse.jpg

This 1 inch tray holds my counter box, fly pegs, some dice, and a Spad that is going to be made into a crashed plane diorama for some special missions.

wowtransf.jpg

I really like this setup as it allows me to carry all of my WoW stuff in one nice bag and every thing is very well protected. It is a little pricey, but you can buy the foam trays as you need them to spread the cost out some. You could actually fit more planes in each tray, but I like having a little more room around them and laid out nice and neat by plane type.

I have attached a Power Point file that has the foam tray layout as well as a silhouette for each plane type. If you like, you can download it and move the planes around until you get a layout you like.

Here is a link to my protection box: i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Judas_photos/Picture018.jpg The box is to have screws and nails in but with cotton under and over the pane the Wow and metal planes are safely protected against almost everything :)

Though this option is almost certainly for the WoW or DoW fanatic, www.battlefoam.com/ is an option for custom storage, specifically fit to your aircraft...

I have been using the Plano style boxes for years with my other CMG games. I have not found a good one yet for the WWI planes. I did find one that will fit all 12 WWII 1/200 planes with stands and pegs, not cards.

I would like to be able to get it all in one case again. It is kind of a pain to transport as is. I do not like to put the minis back in the original package unless for long term stoage as I am always concerned with braking them while doing so as some fit tightly.

The Army transported style foam may be the way to go with a soft side tackle box to pu the in with extra pockets for the rules and extras.

afilter said:

I have been using the Plano style boxes for years with my other CMG games. I have not found a good one yet for the WWI planes. I did find one that will fit all 12 WWII 1/200 planes with stands and pegs, not cards.

I would like to be able to get it all in one case again. It is kind of a pain to transport as is. I do not like to put the minis back in the original package unless for long term stoage as I am always concerned with braking them while doing so as some fit tightly.

The Army transported style foam may be the way to go with a soft side tackle box to pu the in with extra pockets for the rules and extras.

Yeah, the original casing is not that great when you have many planes, it takes a lot of space and I don't like taking the minis out of the plastic, broke of a lewis gun from a Nieuport when I took it out...

I have 3 of those boxes I linked to above with about 25 planes in each, a mix of Wow planes and metal planes.

A freind of mine uses the biger fishing tackle boxes with adjustable compartments. He places all of the pegs in one section and the cards, base, and plane in another section. Also all the damaged decks and punch outs in others. It is easy to take with you and prtects the planes

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a storage-and-transport solution for my Wings of War planes. My collection also includes some metal planes, so the solution had to be good enough for fragile models. It also needed to be really cheap, because I have nearly every plane and cannot afford a high cost-per-model for storage. Here's what I came up with.

I cut two squares of very heavy cardboard for each plane. The size of the square's diagonal is a little more than the average fighter's wingspan. For two-seaters I went with a rectangle to accommodate the wingspan without making the package too large. I cut four squares of insulating foam for each plane, about two inches across, using thick home-insulating Styrofoam from the hardware store. It comes in six-foot sheets so I have plenty. Then I cut each foam square on its diagonal and glued the resulting four triangles to one side of each piece of cardboard. If you have the sizes right, the four triangles leave an empty x-shaped space on the diagonal of the square. When two squares are fitted together, there is room for a plane to rest comfortably in the x-shaped space created by the sandwich. I finished off each case by taping a card protector to the outside, to hold the plane card, and by wrapping each with a paper or cardstock sleeve. I added a little felt to the inside to further protect the plane. The resulting package is about four inches by four inches by one-and-a-half inches, and travels well in a tackle or tool box.

I keep the bases separately in bags, and the decks in custom deck boxes downloaded form certain forums. So far it has worked pretty well.

I use the same plastic trays you can get them cheaply at Kmart in my town. I do have them arranged differntly each plane, base, and deck are in a compartment together. I have two of the shallow boxes, one for allied and one for german, and a deeper box for all the other game parts the damage decks, rulers, etc. I also bought two of the littlest 4-cpmpartment PLano boxes, to hold the altitude pegs, climb counters, and jam counters. They fit inside the big box.