Best Way to Start Collecting

By amphillips, in Hollow Bastion

So everyone, I'd like your opinion on the easiest way to get started collecting. Obviously I've missed out on the first three so I can either dish out a decent amount of cash for a good collection to buy, or attempt to buy boxes of booster packs. The question is, which way do you feel would be the best way to try and get a more complete collection.

I'm torn between buying a big collection of cards or buying two of each booster box to start. Any thoughts?

Ahoy! I hope my advice will be able to help somewhat.

As you may or may not know, there will be a whole new set comin out in a week or so (don't quote me on this.. long, laughable story if you read through the forums).

What I would suggest is to go out 'n buy a starter deck from the first set (is in a grey box) 'n a starter set from the newest set (whenever it gets released). Then, (hear me out) I would suggest goin about 'n buyin at least 3-4 packs of each set (1-4). This will give you a decent amount of cards, 'n a great startin point.

Total cost would be around $90 or so (dependin on where 'n when you get them), but here's the deal: You don't have to do it all at once, let alone at all. Is just an idea on how to get fired up into it.

Take a gander at the card lists that are online, 'n each individual card, if possible (I'm certain someone out there has posted each card 'n effect somewhere). The more interested in a card(s) you are, lean towards buyin more of that set (such as Set 1: Bambis, Oathkeepers, 'n Simbas; Set 2: Jacks, Soul Eaters, 'n Destiny Islands; Set 3: Phils, Kings, 'n Ultima Weapons; Set 4: Aurons, Petes, 'n Event cards...etc... whatever catches your interests). Just know that there are certain cards that are SRU (Super Rare Uncommon) which you'll find once per about 6-7 packs (granted they aren't mess'd with in the box or shelf, that is..) 'n some of them are really great staple cards (King Triton, Sephiroth, Cloud, the King... to name a few).

All in all, you'll want a rulebook. Study it, understand it, 'n find a method that works for you (you a World Runner, or Aggro, or a Jack of all Trades player?). Then, seek out the cards that will help you obtain your goal (certain worlds, certain attack cards, certain sets) 'n pack them in together into a deck. Highly recommended to keep your deck at 41 cards (player card included!), but mess around a bit to see where to go from there.

Also, (if you hadn't noted) we've a Comprehensive Questionaire Guide in the Rules Section, which we've ask'd countless questions on how a card is play'd 'n such. Do feel free to ask away if you've a question or two bout the cards, aye?

I think I've ramble'd enough. Hope it help'd some!