Will old forum content be migrated?

By bill_andel, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Are there any plans (by FFG) to migrate the threads and posts from the old forum to the this one? If so, since sub-forums are now possible, I'd think it would be excellent to have a "Strange Eons" sub-forum to hold all the pinned "Strange Eons" and custom content threads from the old forum.

No, FFG does not plan to migrate the info over. I started transferring some data but with the inability edit after 5 minutes, that didn't seem to be the best option.

Hopefully when it come sto Strange Eons, everyone has a copy for themselves and can repost it at a later date.

ColtsFan76 said:

No, FFG does not plan to migrate the info over.

llorando.gif

Well, I hope that someone has an easy means to copy the old forums over and do that. Otherwise, it's a long, tedious task.

Also, perhaps they could make a subforum to serve as an archive from the regular forums to the new ones.

Well the "old" forums were actually the "new" forums about a year ago or less.

When they switched that over, they gave everyone 6 months to copy what they wanted. I happened to join shortly after the new forums were up and did not know about the warning. One day it just turned off. They claimed they gave everyone 6 months and since it had been like 8 or something they felt they were justified. A heads up would have been nice even a "heh, this weekend we are taking down the old forums for real." A lot of info was already lost in that move.

Now we have a move that doesn't fully work and they claim we only have 2 weeks - 1 of which is already gone. I hope they extend the deadline until everything here works right. Then they can shut that one down.

ColtsFan76 said:

I started transferring some data but with the inability edit after 5 minutes, that didn't seem to be the best option.

Not being able to edit the first topic is going to make it a huge pain to maintain those threads. We could transfer all that stuff to the Wiki that was set up, but it would still be nice to have a copy of most of it here.

On the bright side, it seems like it should be pretty easy to change the editing time limit for the forum (a matter of changing the time limit to effectively infinite). This is good, since it increases the liklihood that that will change in the future. But who knows what is happening behind the scenes? It might not be as easy as it sounds.

Even trying to set things up so people can start migrating their own stuff is turning out to be a frustrating experience...

Cheers,
Chris

What I am concerned about is if they get the deadline fixed, will that just be fore future posts or will it retroactively fix all old posts? I wish FFG would give as an outline of what changes they are working on or if they are satisfied with what they have.

ColtsFan76 said:

I wish FFG would give as an outline of what changes they are working on or if they are satisfied with what they have.

A list would be nice, but it isn't likely. It's too easy to promise to fix something that looks easy but turns out to be a nightmare. Especially since they have either inherited all of this code, or have to go through Edge to get changes done.

At the moment I think they are struggling just to deal with the bugs, let alone improve usability or add missing features. I exchanged some messages with them last weekend because the registration page was down, and they seemed pretty overwhelmed. I suspect that it's all they can do to keep up with the flood of issues coming in. They are probably in a bit of a state of shock as well—I don't think this is the quite reception that they were expecting.

There are some positive signs, at least. They've switched to a higher contrast post colour so that we don't need decoder rings to make out the text. In terms of fixes, I'd say that change was the one with the biggest impact for the least effort. So they are listening.

I'd be happy to give them time to work things out, except for the time limit on migrating forum content. I guess the best we can do is move the content now, and if they add editing later but not for old posts, we'll unsticky the old ones and replace them with editable copies. There are only a few sticky threads I can think of that will be a complete pain to maintain without an editing capability. For the rest we can probably struggle along—if we have to.

Cheers,
Chris

ColtsFan76 said:

Now we have a move that doesn't fully work and they claim we only have 2 weeks - 1 of which is already gone. I hope they extend the deadline until everything here works right. Then they can shut that one down.

Brian, where do you get that figure of one week? A sticky thread on the old forums says that they will be shutdown on December 31, 2008. If true, doesn't that give us a month?

bill_andel said:

ColtsFan76 said:

Brian, where do you get that figure of one week? A sticky thread on the old forums says that they will be shutdown on December 31, 2008. If true, doesn't that give us a month?

They originally stated 2 weeks when the new site went up. It has been up over 1 week, which would leave less than a week now. If they have since changed the date, that is news to me. I am not visiting the old site anymore.

First day the forums went up I grabbed some of the useful stuff. You can find it here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=5&efcid=1&efidt=409 at the bottom of the thread.

We've got three options:

1. Don't add anything to this post. That way it'll remain on the last page, which is almost as good as being Stickied. Downside is, it's only the stuff I grabbed that day.

2. Create a new post called FAN-CREATED MATERIAL. Copy all the useful content there and then continue to bump that post so it stays on the first page.

3. Ask a mod to create a sub-forum for fan-created material.

Just a heads up, and in addition to info posted above:

• Old Forms were to be locked after two weeks. (End of this week we are now in) However the content would remain as posted above until Dec 30.
  • I spoke with one of the line cords for another FFG game, and they said they were looking at expanding the editing window. However that was more of a "toward end of year" from what I gathered. So not like it's going to happen in the next week or two.
  • Over on the UFS side, people have just taken to copying and moving the stuff they hold near and dear.

Good luck guys, I loved a bunch of the fan created stuff!

Antigoth said:

Just a heads up, and in addition to info posted above:

• Old Forms were to be locked after two weeks. (End of this week we are now in) However the content would remain as posted above until Dec 30.
  • I spoke with one of the line cords for another FFG game, and they said they were looking at expanding the editing window. However that was more of a "toward end of year" from what I gathered. So not like it's going to happen in the next week or two.
  • Over on the UFS side, people have just taken to copying and moving the stuff they hold near and dear.

Good luck guys, I loved a bunch of the fan created stuff!

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm more concerned about the latter date, not the lock date. The latter date should give me a little time to try and migrate stuff to the Wiki.