Runelocked Doors and Named Monsters

By Overlord999, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

From the FAQ:

Named monsters may open and close runelocked doors, whether or not the heroes have the runekey to that door. However, named monsters still cannot open any door leading into an unrevealed area.

I suppose it's the same for any door leading out of an unrevealed area, otherwise my named monsters would leave their rooms too early in the game.

Overlord999 said:

From the FAQ:

Named monsters may open and close runelocked doors, whether or not the heroes have the runekey to that door. However, named monsters still cannot open any door leading into an unrevealed area.

I suppose it's the same for any door leading out of an unrevealed area, otherwise my named monsters would leave their rooms too early in the game.

It is simpler than that. Nothing exists in an unrevealed area (figures, tokens etc are only placed when the area is revealed), so there are no monsters to even try to turn the doors handle.

Thanks for the reply

Overlord999 said:

From the FAQ:

Named monsters may open and close runelocked doors, whether or not the heroes have the runekey to that door . However, named monsters still cannot open any door leading into an unrevealed area.

I always found this a strange line, as heroes without the runekey can't open the door. And if the door hasn't been opened yet, nothing can happen in that unrevealed area.
Perhaps there are some quests where there is a 2nd door for which you don't need a runekey.....

Shmoozer said:

Overlord999 said:

From the FAQ:

Named monsters may open and close runelocked doors, whether or not the heroes have the runekey to that door . However, named monsters still cannot open any door leading into an unrevealed area.

I always found this a strange line, as heroes without the runekey can't open the door. And if the door hasn't been opened yet, nothing can happen in that unrevealed area.
Perhaps there are some quests where there is a 2nd door for which you don't need a runekey.....

How so? You could have one big room the heroes are in, with a door leading away from it that requires a Runekey. What if there was a Named monster inside the heroes' current room, and he 'dropped' the runekey once you killed him. I think this just means that, if he really wanted to, the Overlord could have the Named monster open the Rune door to the other room?

It doesn't seem right, but that's what it seems to imply.

Shmoozer said:

Overlord999 said:

From the FAQ:

Not all doors lead to unrevealed areas. The area behind a door starts out unrevealed only if it has the >--< mark in the book, not the ---- mark. The monsters behind a door to a already revealed area can still act, and are set up at the same time as the rest of the area that they are part of.

Badend said:

The area behind a door starts out unrevealed only if it has the >--< mark in the book, not the ---- mark.

Just for the record, that convention only started with Road to Legend. JitD, WoD, and AoD all have only a single mark for doors.

But more generally, quests aren't necessarily linear; even if a rune-locked door is on the border between two areas, it is sometimes possible to reveal the areas on both sides of the door without actually opening that particular door. For example, see quest 9 of the base game.

Then it was as i expected, we haven't played enough yet to see all the possible varieties. The more i have to look forward to! happy.gif

Thanks for explaining!