RTL: Lt. Encounters

By bomber4, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

If there are two lieutenants in the same location, can the heroes attack both if they perform a move action and they win/flee at the first encouter?

bomber said:

If there are two lieutenants in the same location, can the heroes attack both if they perform a move action and they win/flee at the first encouter?

Yes (unless they are TPKed by the first Lt and returned to Tamalir).

RtL Pg10
If the heroes end their movement in the same area as a lieutenant, they may (but do not have to) attack that lieutenant.

As long as they have fulfilled the condition (end their movement in the same area), and not had their turn ended or location changed (eg by TPKed back to Tamalir) then they can attack the Lt(s), one at a time (each is a separate encounter).

Note that shopping in a town is done at the end of a turn and as per the FAQ you therefore cannot attack a Lt at that town after shopping.

Corbon said:

bomber said:

Yes (unless they are TPKed by the first Lt and returned to Tamalir).

RtL Pg10
If the heroes end their movement in the same area as a lieutenant, they may (but do not have to) attack that lieutenant.

As long as they have fulfilled the condition (end their movement in the same area), and not had their turn ended or location changed (eg by TPKed back to Tamalir) then they can attack the Lt(s), one at a time (each is a separate encounter).

Note that shopping in a town is done at the end of a turn and as per the FAQ you therefore cannot attack a Lt at that town after shopping.

2 Points

1) An addition was made to the GLoAQ:

Q: The rulebook states that a lieutenant or hero must end their movement in the same location to attack each other?
A: Heroes and Lieutenants must declare a move action if in the same location and wish to attack each other, but do not have to move a trail away from their current location during the move action.

So you don't actually have to move from the location.

2) I don't think the Heroes are allowed to attack both Lts back to back during their move action, but I could be wrong . I've always taken this statement from the FAQ:

Q: What happens when there are multiple lieutenants in the same space as the hero party? If the heroes (or the overlord) choose to attack, are both lieutenants present at the same encounter?

A: Each lieutenant is an entire encounter unto himself. If the heroes choose to attack a lieutenant when there are two or more lieutenants in the same space, they must choose one to encounter . The overlord may attack the hero party with one lieutenant at a time. Only if the heroes are still in the same location at the end of the encounter (if the heroes win or the lieutenant flees, or if the space in question is Tamalir) can the next lieutenant attack.

The first part of that to me says that if there are two Lts, the Heroes have to choose one to encounter. Then if they are still in the location, the OL can attack with as many Lts as he wants.

Big Remy said:

2) I don't think the Heroes are allowed to attack both Lts back to back during their move action, but I could be wrong . I've always taken this statement from the FAQ:

Q: What happens when there are multiple lieutenants in the same space as the hero party? If the heroes (or the overlord) choose to attack, are both lieutenants present at the same encounter?

A: Each lieutenant is an entire encounter unto himself. If the heroes choose to attack a lieutenant when there are two or more lieutenants in the same space, they must choose one to encounter . The overlord may attack the hero party with one lieutenant at a time. Only if the heroes are still in the same location at the end of the encounter (if the heroes win or the lieutenant flees, or if the space in question is Tamalir) can the next lieutenant attack.

The first part of that to me says that if there are two Lts, the Heroes have to choose one to encounter. Then if they are still in the location, the OL can attack with as many Lts as he wants.

I don't think this is anything to go by. It is a typically useless (well, not quite, but badly thought out) FAQ answer that answers only the question asked - which happens to be whether both Lts fight in the same encounter.
The second part merely reaffirms that if the heroes lose and flee to tamalir in the first encounter, the second Lt can't attack them because they aren't there any more. This isn't required to be stated for the heroes because if they lose their turn is explicitly over.

The GLoAQ says this:

Q: Can the hero party attack multiple Lieutenants and visit a city in the same game week action?
A: Yes, but they may visit the town only after all Lieutenant battles have ended.

dmfergus said:

The GLoAQ says this:

Q: Can the hero party attack multiple Lieutenants and visit a city in the same game week action?
A: Yes, but they may visit the town only after all Lieutenant battles have ended.

Perfect

@Corbon: Figured I'd bring it up just for clarification's sake.