What does the Overlord keep from a dungeon?

By Stefan, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi there,

my question concerns the RTL expansion. When I finished a dungeon, does the overlord take with him all the threat he has? Can he use it in the next dungeon? We play this way, which leads to the disturbing effect that the overlord virtually never lacks threat, because when it is clear that the heroes have won the level, he throws away cards and so ends it easily with 30 threat and more. How is it exactly?

Stefan said:

Hi there,

my question concerns the RTL expansion. When I finished a dungeon, does the overlord take with him all the threat he has? Can he use it in the next dungeon? We play this way, which leads to the disturbing effect that the overlord virtually never lacks threat, because when it is clear that the heroes have won the level, he throws away cards and so ends it easily with 30 threat and more. How is it exactly?

Threat does not carry over between dungeons. The only Avatar that gets extra threat at the start of the dungeon is the Sorcerer King IIRC.

Stefan said:

Hi there,

Are you talking about seperate dungeons, or dungeon levels? The OL keeps everything between each level of a dunegon. But between seperate spaces on the overland map, the OL starts over at the start of each dungeon, the same as if it were a new quest in the base game.

In the first case, there is nothing wrong with the OL not playing any cards on the heroes to stock up a pile of threat for the next level. As a hero though, this is when you should flee the dungeon, and laugh at the OL for making the previous level easy. Also, don't forget about the spawn marker. When each new spawn after the first costs an extra 15 threat, the OL can burn through threat rather quickly.