Q to Laurel of Bloodwood

By Nocturnus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello everyone!

My friends and I had a (translating?)-problem 2 nights ago concerning the hero "Laurel of Bloodwod" (English is not our native tongue).

the Hero-Abilty says:

"After rolling a Ranged attack, Laurel may spend 1 fatigue to convert any extra range she rolled into damage on a one-for-one basis."

Lets pretend Laurel is in base-to-base contact to a monster (thus melee range) and rolls a range of 6 in all. This leaves 5 extra range to convert, correct?

Now, how is it to be understood:

a) for each fatigue she spends she deals 1 extra damage => up to 5 fatigue may be spend to get up to the maximum 5 extra damage

OR

b) she pays one fatigue and gets all 5 extra damage for it

What is the answer???

In case b) she would nearly be an one-turn-dragonkiller even with only a copper-treasure-weapon, which I can barely believe...

Cheers,

Nocturnus

b) One fatigue to convert all excess range into damage. Yes, she is strong, no, she is not overpowered ;)

Thank you for your quick reply, Parathion! happy.gif

Cheers,

Nocturnus

I would say "A".

"one-for-one basis" still means 1 for 1 in my book. meaning for each fatigue you get an extra damage......

Anyone else who can clarify?

One-for-one basis means 1 range is converted to 1 damage.

I remember that one being answered by FFG personnel.

It was 1 fatigue for all the extra range.

1 on 1 exchange would suck completely, for 1 fatigue you can buy 1 power die and have the same result (most of the time).

Any links to that answer? We've been wondering about that one with our game.

Parathion said:

One-for-one basis means 1 range is converted to 1 damage.

but you stated in your previous post that:

Parathion said:

b) One fatigue to convert all excess range into damage. Yes, she is strong, no, she is not overpowered ;)

So now you contradict yourself, as the original question included the question on the "one-for-one basis"

Biernath_John said:

I remember that one being answered by FFG personnel.

It was 1 fatigue for all the extra range.

1 on 1 exchange would suck completely, for 1 fatigue you can buy 1 power die and have the same result (most of the time).

I'm curious for the link as well.

as for the sucking on 1 on 1 exchange. This is 100% succesfull ofcourse, yet rolling another powerdie gives you only 50% chance on an extra damage......

Come on, read what I wrote and what is on the card.

Spend 1 fatigue.

Convert all excess range into damage, meaning each single excess range gives a single excess damage (one-for-one-basis), e.g. 7 excess range for 7 extra damage, all for 1 fatigue. Not 1 range for 3 damage or 2 range for 1 damage or whatever.

Parathion said:

Spend 1 fatigue.

Convert all excess range into damage, meaning each single excess range gives a single excess damage (one-for-one-basis), e.g. 7 excess range for 7 extra damage, all for 1 fatigue. Not 1 range for 3 damage or 2 range for 1 damage or whatever.

I understand what you mean saying that each range gives a damage, but i still believe that this is not what they are reffering to by stating "one-for-one-basis". Your explanation would imply the usage of "one-for- all -basis", stating with one fatigue you would get all extra range converted.
It's the whole "one-for- one -basis" line that implies you do it 1 fatigue for 1 damage instead of range.....

Is there anyone else who can shine his/her light on this?

Shmoozer said:

Parathion said:

Spend 1 fatigue.

I understand what you mean saying that each range gives a damage, but i still believe that this is not what they are reffering to by stating "one-for-one-basis". Your explanation would imply the usage of "one-for- all -basis", stating with one fatigue you would get all extra range converted.
It's the whole "one-for- one -basis" line that implies you do it 1 fatigue for 1 damage instead of range.....

The one for one refers to range to damage, so convert all extra range to damage at a rate of 1 range to 1 damage (as opposed to converting 1 range to 2 damage).

Shmoozer said:

"one-for-one" refers to one range for one damage, not one fatigue for one damage. I don't see why you can't wrap your head around that. I don't see any other way to parse that sentence:

"After rolling a Ranged attack, Laurel may spend 1 fatigue to [convert any extra range she rolled into damage on a one-for-one basis]."

Spending 1 fatigue is the cost, and the effect is "convert any extra range...into damage on a one-for-one basis." Surely you wouldn't be arguing about what "converting range to damage one-for-one" means if there wasn't a fatigue cost at all? Is there any part of that sentence that suggests to you that fatigue is being converted , or that the ability can be activated multiple times?

I don't see any possible syntactic parsing of that sentence that means anything other than spend 1 fatigue to convert all extra range into damage. Even if range weren't involved at all, you wouldn't write "...may spend 1 fatigue to gain bonus damage on a one-for-one basis," you'd have to write something like "may spend any amount of fatigue" or "may spend up to X fatigue" or "may convert fatigue into bonus damage".

And while adding power dice with fatigue only has a 50% chance to add a power enhancement, it also has a 1/3 chance to add a surge, which is generally similar in power. This would be a very weak ability if you had to spend 1 fatigue for each damage, and considering that Laurel is worth 3 conquest but has the defensive stats of a 2-conquest hero, I think it's pretty clear that her ability is supposed to be powerful, not weak.

Antistone said:

Shmoozer said:

"one-for-one" refers to one range for one damage, not one fatigue for one damage. I don't see why you can't wrap your head around that. I don't see any other way to parse that sentence:

"After rolling a Ranged attack, Laurel may spend 1 fatigue to [convert any extra range she rolled into damage on a one-for-one basis]."

Spending 1 fatigue is the cost, and the effect is "convert any extra range...into damage on a one-for-one basis." Surely you wouldn't be arguing about what "converting range to damage one-for-one" means if there wasn't a fatigue cost at all? Is there any part of that sentence that suggests to you that fatigue is being converted , or that the ability can be activated multiple times?

I don't see any possible syntactic parsing of that sentence that means anything other than spend 1 fatigue to convert all extra range into damage. Even if range weren't involved at all, you wouldn't write "...may spend 1 fatigue to gain bonus damage on a one-for-one basis," you'd have to write something like "may spend any amount of fatigue" or "may spend up to X fatigue" or "may convert fatigue into bonus damage".

And while adding power dice with fatigue only has a 50% chance to add a power enhancement, it also has a 1/3 chance to add a surge, which is generally similar in power. This would be a very weak ability if you had to spend 1 fatigue for each damage, and considering that Laurel is worth 3 conquest but has the defensive stats of a 2-conquest hero, I think it's pretty clear that her ability is supposed to be powerful, not weak.

+1. An emphatic +1. Please do not let this devolve into a rules discussion on something that is as straightforward as Laurel's ability. If it was 1 fatigue for each point of extra range converted into one point of damage, her ability would be utterly useless and she would be a total waste of a hero.

Oke, thanks all for explaining again! gui%C3%B1o.gif

What for some people is quite straightforward, can be confusing for the other. Normally it's this way for me, i guess this time it was the other way round!

I agree with the majority that Laurel's ability is quite clearly 1 fatigue to convert all excess range into damage. For those who might still be thinking this is overpowered, go ahead and try out that "dragonkiller" move the OP suggested. Move right up beside the dragon and fire from point blank.

Yes, you'll do alot of damage. Maybe even kill the dragon depending on dice. And then Laurel will get chomped. Laurel has 8 wounds and 1 armor, and she's worth 3 conquest when she dies. Laurel is very squishy and if she insists on shooting things point blank, the OL will clean up on CTs by killing her repeatedly with whatever's left.

I've played Laurel with the Lucky skill (the one that lets her count both range and damage on power dice - basically her dream skill) and I can say with some certainty that even then she is not overpowered. Her ability is countered by the fact that she needs to keep her distance to avoid being the priority target on the board.

With the right equipment and skill set, I think Laurel can do something like 65 damage in RtL (all gold die). We figured it out once, it was a ridiculous build.