New Player - What is priority to learn

By Master of R'lyeh, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I just picked up the core book and I'm a bit over whelmed (I'm new to the 40k universe). I have a chance to play with an experienced group and was wonder what should I focus on memorizing from the rules? Sorry for such a vague question but there is allot of material here to digest all at once.

I´d suggest you concentrate on boni and mali for attacks and to know what a skill does you have so that you know when to use it best, also you should read through the Talents and Feats you chosen, so you don´t have to ask for the core book and search while playing, to know what your character can/ can´t do speeds up the game.

Don´t bother too much the most things you will learn during play.

If you're new about the 40k universe, I'd suggest that you A) don't worry too much about it. You'll pick it up as you go along. And B) Don't pick a career that's heavily embeded in 40k lore, like Clerics, Imperial Psykers and Tech Priests.

Not that you can't play those, but they really need a decent understanding of their background and their role in lore, so it'll take some research to do them justice. The other careers are more straightforward.

Slaunyeh said:

If you're new about the 40k universe, I'd suggest that you A) don't worry too much about it. You'll pick it up as you go along. And B) Don't pick a career that's heavily embeded in 40k lore, like Clerics, Imperial Psykers and Tech Priests.

Not that you can't play those, but they really need a decent understanding of their background and their role in lore, so it'll take some research to do them justice. The other careers are more straightforward.

Definitely what this person wrote.

Play a character from an isolated part of the Sector, like a Feudal or Feral world, where the people have very limited knowledge of "what is out there" besides the fact that they have to pay homage to some God-Emperor in outer space.

As for actual rules, read and re-read the combat and move actions section. Those are so desperately important for any player to know.

Slaunyeh said:

Thirding this. Embrace your ignorance. It's hardly an uncommon trait in the grim darkness of the far future. Both you and your character can learn about the setting at the same time. Hopefully without getting executed for heresy.

Support the advice above. I`d also like to add one point. Fate points. Let me rephrase that: FATE POINTS. It took some time for our group before we truly undestood how versatile they are.

You can use a Fate point to:

- Re-roll any Test

- Get maximum Initiative

- recover Wounds

- recover Stun

You can burn a Fate point:

- avoid dying ( this is a really important )

By clever tactical use of Fate, it doesn`t matter if your Adept has a crappy Agility bonus or the Assassin is a lousy shot. By using a point of Fate you can get that tiny but crucial advantage that turns the situation in your favor.

Aajav-Khan said:

Support the advice above. I`d also like to add one point. Fate points. Let me rephrase that: FATE POINTS. It took some time for our group before we truly undestood how versatile they are.

And I had to do a double take when it said that you regain them at the start of every session.

Hmm...

Probably...

Before making ANY skill / stat test or roll, STOP, and ask the GM 'is there anything i can do to get bonuses on this roll' ?

There almost always is.

And when you start out, you're going to NEED those +20's and +30's...

Oh yes, and when the bullets start flying, keep your head down. Always get into cover. Preferably flee the area. You'll live longer...

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Buy a helmet I found out the hard that they are important. gui%C3%B1o.gif