Thinking about picking this up..

By Master of R'lyeh, in Blue Moon

Is it any fun, the art looks amazing. If I get it should I grab all the expansion (they are on sale, so why not). I play call of cthulhu can magic does it share any similar mechanics. Any info/opinions one might have please share with me so I can make a decision before the sale is over. Thanks in advanced.

fwiw, This is definitely a favorite on the BoardGameGeek site.

Yeah.. I was gleeming the reviews, still uncertain.

I picked it up when it was cheap on Tanga.com. You'll still need to get the base game and the Pillar expansion. It's a good game that even my wife enjoyed though she was reluctant at first.

Master of R'lyeh said:

Is it any fun, the art looks amazing. If I get it should I grab all the expansion (they are on sale, so why not). I play call of cthulhu can magic does it share any similar mechanics. Any info/opinions one might have please share with me so I can make a decision before the sale is over. Thanks in advanced.

What expansions should i get then?

I would recommend getting the Flit and the Khind as they are alot of fun to play. If the sale is having them at really cheap prices I would get them all as you would then be able make up some iteresting decks with which to play.

Amitloaf said:

What expansions should i get then?

What style of play do you prefer? What cards do you like most? Do you prefer power or tricks?...

frouvne said:

The artwork IS amazing, IMHO.

have to ditto this. I'd only heard good things about the art and was still amazed when i picked the game up. There is also something to be said about internal consistency in the art from deck to deck. In A ame of thrones I have a couple artists that i really like and it would be cool to see them get free reign over a house or expansion.

How much do the Emissaries & Inquisitors add-ons really add to the game? And are they worth it even if I don't have all the "race" add-ons?

Again pretty much depends on personal preference. If you like constructed decks they are a must. If you only play with the presoreted ones I'd get all other decks before (including Buka).

Basically 6 things are added:

* Inquisitors - cards that allow for more varied deck design (upto 45 cards, permanent effects)

* Tutu - cards that have a cost to play (or have in play)

* Hyla - cards that stay active until the enemy plays a Hyla himself (so they can stay for longer then a single fight)

* Crystals - cards that allow you to score higher then 4 points for a single game (valuable in 5 crystal games)

* Leadership cards that have 0 cost, but always affect both players equally

* cards that allow you to interfere in the pay of your opponent, like discarding the char he just played.

There are also 3 new cards for each people deck, some of them quite interesting.

You like Magic? Forget Blue Moon. Knizia made some good games: not this one. It's almost as uninteresting as Ivanhoe/Camelot. bostezo.gif

capi-chou said:

You like Magic? Forget Blue Moon. Knizia made some good games: not this one. It's almost as uninteresting as Ivanhoe/Camelot. bostezo.gif

Two of my favorite games mentioned in one short post.

Thank God we can all choose for ourselves, huh?

like alot of his games.(Knizia) aplauso.gif

You serious, capichou ? I was thinking about that game for my woman, often interested by fantasy and all. But I hated Camelot for it was boring, wordy and full of promises, broken in the end. A boring and disguised poker, that's what I thought. And terrible texts, as the original french version sucks, in my humble opinion. You serious when you compare these games ? That would prevent me from buying it. Any advice from anybody else ? It is not a collectible cards game, is it ? I asked everybody to describe me Blue Moon City in another thread, I'll ask for the same here : please ? :)

TheDukester said:

capi-chou said:

Two of my favorite games mentioned in one short post.

Thank God we can all choose for ourselves, huh?

Thank god we all have different tastes.

looks like an intereting game , but i refuse to buy into another game byanyone who would stoop to working for wizkids , if they work for wizkids , they obviously dont measure up to anything really worthwhile .