Running Hedge Tournaments

By Castorp, in 3. AGoT Organized Play

Hi,

recently a lot of people at my store got into this game. So I figured we might even run a hedge tournament. I am currently waiting to be approved as a official organizer, does anybody know how long this takes?

I think we would go for a "white bordered" LCG event? How about?

I would definitely appreciated any helpful comments as I kind of new to the game.

C

I think it took me about a week to get approved. After you're approved, if you have $15 to spare, order an OP kit from FFG. It'll have some some small items that you can use as prizes for the winners. It also has the Storyline information and voting ballots that you can use as prizes. In fact, I recommend looking at the Storyline "League" format and considering running one of those. We had a lot of fun with that when we did it in the spring --it's an interesting challenge to build a 50 card deck from just one copy of the Core Set and a few selected chapter packs and a great way to ease in new players who haven't or don't want to invest in a lot of chapter packs (or multiple copies of the Core Set and chapter packs) right away.

a league is also a great thing for new(er) players for 2 reasons. 1) it lowers the comptation level of decks by limiting the card pool. and 2) it really helps you get to know cards becuase you only are looking at a few at once and you have to rely on some 'non-usual' cards. As a bonus its also a cheap way to get started.

That sounds cool to me.... we could easily start with the King's Landing Chapter Packs.

I will look into it.

Castorp

Castorp, just to clarify one thing: the League materials posted on the game's Community subpage were put together at the start of this year, but FFG relaxed how organized play should be done. They did not update the Storyline League materials, however (last I checked). So, the portions of the instructions about League scheduling, and "sparring" games, and casting votes on the Storylines (i.e., the design questions that players have a chance to influence) at the end of each League night and at the end of the League "season", are stale. There is no specified six-week long League "season" and the elaborate voting system has been dumped. Instead, the organized play kit that I mentioned that you can order once you are an organizer contains eight Storyline ballots. You, as official organizer, pretty much have wide latitude to distribute those in any fair way you wish to devise. So, my suggestion is to look at the Storyline League materials about how a League deck can be built. Then schedule times to play that will require players to adhere to the League deck construction limits and come up some way to award the eight ballots to people who participate in those League deck meetups. Again, you have a lot of leeway in what you do with the kit contents, including the ballots. You don' have to use them in conjunction with League deck rules. But, to repeat myself and Lars, the League deck format is great way for people new to the game to get started into building their own decks and playing.

Thanks a lot for the reply - but my application is still pending. I am wondering if everybody is on holiday?

C