My version of Juyo/Vapaad

By Issumar2380, in General Discussion

Hi everyone I am a new GM and I have a player that loves Mace Windu. So he wanted his human youngling survivor of the purge to emulate Master Windu.So I created the Juyo/Vapaad specialization I don't have it affiliated with any career specializations. I choose the skills Athletics, Coordination, Lightsaber, Resilience

As for talents

Row 1 Parry, Parry, Grit, Second Wind

Row 2 Parry, Parry, Defensive Training, Duelist Training

Row 3 Assured Strike, Second Wind, Grit, Second Wind

Row 4 Vornskr Ferocity, Natural Blademaster, Swift Flank, Tempered Aggression

Row 5 Balance, Assured Strike, Counter Strike, Force Rating

Vornskr Ferocity (same as Saber Swarm)

Tempered Aggression (same as Calming Aura)

Swift Flank (same as Hawk Bat Swoop)

Assured Strike (same as Frenzied Attack)

I hope I didn't make the specialization to over powerful but it works in my game so far. I figure I post and see what you guys think. I made the specialization like the Shien Expert with 2 forms in 1. I added the Force Rating because of the Vornskr Ferocity talent because it emulates Saber Swarm. Thank You for your feedbacks.

Edited by Issumar2380

how do they all connect?

Might sound ridiculous but I have the set up like Shien Expert. I followed the same row and column connection as Shien Expert.

I think giving it frenzied attack, hawk bat swoop, saber swarm, and blademaster is a bit much. Also every other lightsaber spec has dedication, and where is the juyo form talent.

Well the spec like ShiiCho works on Brawn. As far as adding the other talents,you mention Juyo/Vapaad is a powerful form. I was thinking about taking away the parry and replace with toughened and condition talents because this form is the most offensive.

On the surface, giving it versions of other spec's signature talents just makes this specialization way too good.

That and having four ranks of Parry all available within the first two rows makes this spec much too tempting for a "quick dip" spec just to pile on those ranks of Parry and additional rank of Defensive Training.

In short, you made it too powerful and far too tempting. If a PC is making a 'saber duelist, they've got zero reason NOT to take this spec, since it provides two of Ataru Striker's feature talents but the spec itself isn't nearly as much of a glass cannon as Ataru Striker can be.

Thank you guys for your input. But how do I make a temporary good Juyo/Vapaad spec until ffg makes an official spec? What would you guys change?

Ok, first Juyo is the name of the form, Vapaad is an advanced technique created by Mace Windu so it would probably be a signature ability rather than a part of the core specialization. From what I have read and seen, Juyo is weak in the force defense aspect and is specifically called out as lacking the linked attacks of Ataru. So the calming aura and saber swarm analogs are right out.

The best example of a Juyo user is Darth Maul, he has a basic level of ranged and melee defense but he is better at melee. He seems to excel at quick attacks and dodging his opponents attacks. While he is fighting Obi-wan and Qui-gon he dodges almost as often as he parries. He also uses a lot of brawl attacks mixed in with his light saber attacks.

So: 2*Parry

Improved Parry

2*Reflect

Grit

2*Toughened

Juyo Form(Agility)

Quick Draw

2*Quick Strike

Swift Flank

2*Assured Strike

2*Dodge

Natural Blademaster

Dedication

I would also give it a talent that allows a practitioner to use advantage on a failed lightsaber check to perform an immediate brawl attack, probably 2 advantage or 1 Triumph.

Edited by rickayelm