Very fun, refreshing game

By jaif, in Zombie Apocalypse

Putting my other thread aside, I just want to say that this game is a blast to run, and from my player's reactions, fun to play.

Like many, I've roleplayed for decades; I've played and run highly "crunchy" games, many easier ones, dabbling in the narrative games. This one is really a breath of fresh air...or rotting, fetid air? :-)

- Since players play themselves, there's generally no question about what their characters know. In other games, you can quibble over elements of the background - "well, I was a miner, and I have skill x, so really I should have a bonus..." In this game, when a player says he has a book on making gunpowder and tried it last summer...well, that's what he has and did.

- The games are much more focussed on short games or one-shots, so you're not grubbing for experience points, fate points, or whatever. You're focussing on staying alive. So you're in the game, not the metagame.

- It's really fun killing yourself as the GM. :-)

- Obviously, the simple game system makes adjudicating rolls easy for everyone. You're not spending much time looking things up.

Sorry, too tired to organize this, but wanted to put out the complement before I forgot. Fun stuff.

-Jeff

Thanks for sharing this review. :)