Other Conan Fantasy Flight games?

By Frog, in Age of Conan

In one of the threads here a forum member mentioned that a rep from Fantasy Flight Games hinted at a future "tactics" game.

Can you post the quote for me?

I think it would be cool for a quest game possibly like the upcoming Middle-Earth Quest set in Hyboria!

I hate to mention this, since I can no longer remember where I saw it (a link on BGG?), but I could swear I read an interview with one of the designers in which he said they were working on a SOLITAIRE Conan game. Anyone else remember this?

TK

I found a hint (is it true?)

Cybernex: ...
Well, of course first I wanted to see if anybody was interested enough to ask :-)
Our next game based upon the Conan license will be the Conan Miniatures game.
This miniature game will be character-oriented, skirmish level, adventure/scenario based, and expandable.
(Generally speaking, closer to a game like Tannhauser than to Warhammer or Confrontation).
The plan is to create a modular game, which in time should grow both through the addition of new 'starter sets', focused on a certain stage of the Cimmerian's life, and a limited number of additional figures to enhance the use of the starter set.
At the moment, the first starter set and additional miniatures should have the early Conan adventures ("Tower of the Elephant" period).
Later starters will introduce additional periods, e.g. the Belit period, the Nordic period.
Of course, everything you will get from a wave will be usable with everything else.
Continuing the comparison with Tannhauser, what we wish to achieve, among other things, is more expandibility and scenarios which are less 'dry' and mechanical, more detailed more story-oriented.
If everything goes according to plan, the first set should release in the 1st half of 2010.

bolen said:

Well, of course first I wanted to see if anybody was interested enough to ask :-)
This miniature game will be character-oriented, skirmish level, adventure/scenario based, and expandable.
(Generally speaking, closer to a game like Tannhauser than to Warhammer or Confrontation).
The plan is to create a modular game, which in time should grow both through the addition of new 'starter sets', focused on a certain stage of the Cimmerian's life, and a limited number of additional figures to enhance the use of the starter set.
At the moment, the first starter set and additional miniatures should have the early Conan adventures ("Tower of the Elephant" period).
Later starters will introduce additional periods, e.g. the Belit period, the Nordic period.
Of course, everything you will get from a wave will be usable with everything else.
Continuing the comparison with Tannhauser, what we wish to achieve, among other things, is more expandibility and scenarios which are less 'dry' and mechanical, more detailed more story-oriented.
If everything goes according to plan, the first set should release in the 1st half of 2010.

I don't see why not, seeing it comes straight from the horse's mouth (one of the authors). It doesn't mean FFG would pick it up automatically though.

bolen said:

oh, seems interesting. I'd sure like to see that.

love all things Conan...

I heard FFG might be releasing boarders wars.

I can only hope the tactics game is true. Love Conan and would love to play a Tannhauser/Conan game. Maybe the upcoming Tannhauser 2.0 ruleset is similar to the potential Conan?

I can't see how FFG will pass on the chance of pitching for the Conan RPG rights when they come up for grabs next year. Would have thought the warhammer rpg 3rd ed engine would be a likely fit...

Hmmm... a Conan-themed Descent-engine game... would seem nice.

That does sound quite cool.

The now dead Conan CCG turned into an LCG would be perfect.

A Conan Descent expansion would be cool.

It is true the rights to the RPG are up for grabs soon if not already.

Frog said:

A Conan Descent expansion would be cool.

It is true the rights to the RPG are up for grabs soon if not already.

I gather that Mongoose and the Howard folks are in a stale mate. I gather Mongoose can only put out OGL conan stuff even though they would like to port Conan to their Runequest system.

The warhammer 3rd edition would make a cool system for conan. But remember that Age of Conan is not really an FFG game it is an import from Nexus (unless Nexus and FFG are somehow connected)

Personally, I love the current Mongoose system. I wish they would just stick with that rather than fighting with Paradox over if they can cook-the-books and use their own Runequest system (which I don't like anyway). They have a license for D20, and they should stick with it. I bet if they had not tried to get around the license, Paradox would have OK'd the awesome sounding 10 volume history/lore/maps set they were going to do. Now it "sounds" as though they can't make anymore books.

I would buy a Conan Miniatures game from FFG.

A friend just showed me this posting on board game news http://www.boardgamenews.com/

Adventures in Hyboria, the first expansion for Age of Conan, will expand the game with new rules, characters and adventures as well as with enhancements for Conan, who assumes a more active role in the game with two different profiles: Conan the Thief and Conan the Adventurer. In addition, faithful to the Conan stories, the extremely changeable character of Conan will be introduced in the game with a new game mechanic: the mood wheel.

Except for Descent, Space Hulk, and DOOM I am not a miniature gamer. What does skirmish minis game mean? What do they mean by adventure scenario? I always thought mini games were just one army vs another on some terrain. This sounds like something more interesting.