Just got the game... Have a couple of quick questions.

By Zogwort, in Relic

Hi all! My wife and I are having our first game, and we have a couple of quick questions for you guys.

Threat cards like Ghazkull Thraka, that let you bring another character to your space tho help with the battle, and the battle is lost, do both players lose a life or just the active player?

Also there is a mission card that states the objective is to start an experience phase with 1 life, and the reward is being healed back to full life and then gain 3 more life. My question is, if my starting life is 4 and then became 7 thanks to the mission reward, is 7 now my maximum life total in terms of later being healed by cards that say I cannot be healed past my maximum life total?

Thanks!

I am still kind of new to this game, gonna take a shot.

No, the other player would not lose a life.

Yes, your life "tank" is now 7, and can be refilled (to 7).

No to the first.

No to the second.

Your life value is always equal to your statrting life value printed on the character card. There's no way outside of the life dial you can otherwise track or remember different life totals from various gains and modifications.

The number of lives you have may exceed your life value, of course.

Edited(the answer to the first question is no: the assisting player does not lose a life)

Edited by zealot12

No to the first.

No to the second.

There's no way outside of the life dial you can otherwise track or remember different life totals from various gains and modifications.

The number of lives you have may exceed your life value, of course.

Edited(the answer to the first question is no: the assisting player does not lose a life)

What is stopping me from referring to the mission card to track my life's?

Btw now that I am home the card I am referring to is Fight to the End mission card.

The mission requires you to drop to your last life, then you reset to your starting life value and gain 3 more.

Your starting life value is a constant printed on the character card.

Sorry, I may have confused you with my answer.

Life value is the current number of lives you have. It's not the same as your starting life value, which cannot be modified.

Just to reiterate, you can have more lives than your starting life value, up to a maximum of 12.

But once you're vanquished, you always return to your starting life value, and you can only heal up to that initial value.

Note that healing is not the same as gaining extra lives. You can gain extra lives from a variety of effects, including level up rewards.

But any healing you're doing can only be up to the value printed on your character card.

Edited by zealot12

Also there is a mission card that states the objective is to start an experience phase with 1 life, and the reward is being healed back to full life and then gain 3 more life. My question is, if my starting life is 4 and then became 7 thanks to the mission reward, is 7 now my maximum life total in terms of later being healed by cards that say I cannot be healed past my maximum life total?

No, it doesn't become your default maximum life total. You just gain 3 extra lives above your default maximum. You can heal only up to the default level, but you are able to gain additional lives through different game effects, and they can exceed your default life level unless stated otherwise.

zealot12 is right, in most cases you should refer to the starting life value printed on your character card. The only exception I remember is one of the relics that clearly states that it raises your default maximum life for 2 or 3 points.