Cache vs Purging Virus Counters

By gcflash, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if there is an oppertunity to use Cache when the Corp declares they are purging virus counters. It uses three clicks but not in the same way as a double event or Day Job, for example.

The main reason I ask is because if there is an opportunity you could use all the tokens on Hive Mind to gain credits instead of the Corp getting rid of them.

Cheers

I do not believe so as to spend the hosted counters counts as a paid ability and the prority for actions is with the corp on their turn. Therefore, they would get first action and then priority shifts to you and the counters have been purged.

Once a click has been spent to trigger an ability, the effect will resolve in its entirety before anything else can happen (except prevent effects).

If you think the Corp is going to purge, you have an option to take the money off cache at the end of your turn or prior to them spending the clicks, but as soon as they spend a click you have no "reaction" and the counters will be gone.

Ok I just wasn't sure as the additional actions are not a cost in the same way as double events resolved.

It would be a filthy trick that would no doubt quickly plugged anyway lol

It just goes back to what gets frequently repeated: There are no "reactions" or "responses" in Netrunner except for effects which explicitly prevent or avoid something.

In this instance, if you'd taken all its native tokens after install, as most people tend to, but you'd left Hivemind alone for other purposes--No, once the corp declares they're taking a Purge action, or they've rezzed and are using Cyberdex Suite, your paid abilities have to wait, they're not "faster" than your opponent's actions. By the time it gets to your turn for Paid Abilities, your virus counters are gone.