Good for 7-8 year olds?

By alansa, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

Do you think 7-8 year olds can handle this game, especially with older siblings or daddy playing too. Since it's a co-op game it seems to me it should work. pretty well

The rules of the game are not so difficult.

it's pretty straight forward..

The only thing that can be important is, that you must work together to run through the scenario boards.

maybe if they play the game a lot, then they know where they must give their attention too.

The events on the left side of the board is very important. I don't know if a kid of 8 years old can understand what they must do to evade that event etc

But because of the symbols on the cards and on the scenario boards, it's easy to understand where you can use your cards for etc

You can at least try it.. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thanks for that. Well I've got the game now so I'll give it a try this weekend. Diffucult to find it here in the UK and had to buy off ebay. The publishers for this game in the UK are (or where) Hasbro-Parker (rather than FF), and I guess they're not flogging it here any more.

It is not too hard to find in the UK....while a number of my usual trawl for shopping are out of stock at the moment but clearly getting FFG games in away from the Hasbro release as they have the FFG expansions - my FLGS had a copy of the base game last time I was in, Amazon is listing from 3rd parties and Legend Games has some too.

Yeah, Amazon has one new and four used, Legend shows 2 in Stock. All other sources I've checked are out of stock and have been for ages.

The UK is awash with this game!

I just looked at the website of the orginal company that developed this game: Sophisticated Games. It seems you can get it and all the expansions from them. No-where else really seems to do it so if you're in the UK and want a copy without going down the second hand route, then they look like the only real place to go.

I've played with my 7 and 8 year old children, they had no problems catching on. There's a lot of discussion before anyone's turn anyways, so they enjoyed it. It was /almost/ above their grasp of abstractness to lore, but they still got it. Granted, these same youths play Doom/Descent with me, so maybe their used to FFG games ;)

-shnar

alansa said:

Do you think 7-8 year olds can handle this game, especially with older siblings or daddy playing too. Since it's a co-op game it seems to me it should work. pretty well

I have recently played with my oldest kids (8, 9 and 11); and they grasped it fairly quick. They all enjoyed the game, though my middle child was pretty put off by the fact that we didn't win.

Out of curiosity, alansa, did you ever get your copy? And how did it go over with the kids?