So what are Universal Weapons Proficiencies?

By Salcor, in Rogue Trader

So looking at the explorator class it was listed as having melee, basic, and pistol weapon proficiency (Universial). So did they change weapons proficiencies to make characters proficient in all weapons (so anyone who can shoot a stubpistol can also shoot a laspistol or a boltpistol?)

Salcor

I'm guessing it may just be the explorator, it kinda makes sense that tech-priests are skilled in the weapons they have knowledge of producing.

But i guess only time will tell.

It's a proficiency in the new type of weapon known collectively as Universals. They're very powerful, as you might expect. Nothing like expanding the lore...

Salcor said:

So looking at the explorator class it was listed as having melee, basic, and pistol weapon proficiency (Universial). So did they change weapons proficiencies to make characters proficient in all weapons (so anyone who can shoot a stubpistol can also shoot a laspistol or a boltpistol?)

Salcor

That would be my take on it with no additional information with which to postulate.

Basic Weapon Training - Universal - 500xp; gets you Bolt , Flame , Las , Launcher , Melta , Plasma , Primitive , and Solid Projectile trainning for Basic weapon types. But again, just my interpretation. We will know once the book is released.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I agree with Brother Praetus. I expect it is a means of getting multi-weapon talents in a single 'package' buy. Cheaper overall, but still a good chunk of xp to spend.

It's simpler and saves space on your character sheet to have the common weapon categories grouped into one category instead of five different weapon proficiencies.

The reason is probably that Rogue Trader characters because they go on very extreme mission are trained in a lot of different weapons,
It also saves space for all the cool nifty Xenos weapons youll get your hands on...

It seems like a pretty resonable inclusion to make, assuming it works as expected.

Aye, looks good to me!

Well, I guess it is a "round up" of

- Solid Projectile
- Las weapons
- Bolters

At leat, this is how I would handle it. This three types are kind simliar. Plasma would be it will, but hey: "Plasma is Plasma" and stuff. It HAS to be extra ^^.

If it is a "all-in-one" affair...howda! The DH-players will moan and scream about this! Especially those with a IG background..

I think Brother Praetus is right. The explorator might be a kind of mechanicus guy who can handle all weapons the mechanicus is able to produce, maybe even the exotic class. The big question is: Does it also cover xeno weaponry?

Gregorius21778 said:

If it is a "all-in-one" affair...howda! The DH-players will moan and scream about this! Especially those with a IG background..

The discussion about RT characters being uber powerful is the wrong way round. Rogue Trader in comparison will show us that low level acolytes are basically just imperial citizens. They suck, Rogue Traders don't. Even those players who have not yet understood this, will hopefully recognize it.

Terelo said:

Rogue Trader in comparison will show us that low level acolytes are basically just imperial citizens.

Except that they're not. We've seen what Imperial Citizens look like - the masses of ratings mentioned in the RT preview adventure, and the Citizen stats in the DH Rulebook show that even a basic 400xp Acolyte is still a few steps above and beyond the common masses.

well the DH players will quit "moaning" when they get Asencion (sp?) and their alcolytes get a shot of imperial rank steroids so they will probably be on par with the weaker RT characters but they have to remember that RT is a bump up from DH the stuffs gonna be a bit more out there and all RT players just wait until Death Watch comes out and you get to deal with space marines and tyranids hehehe

ThenDoctor said:

well the DH players will quit "moaning" when they get Asencion (sp?) and their alcolytes get a shot of imperial rank steroids so they will probably be on par with the weaker RT characters but they have to remember that RT is a bump up from DH the stuffs gonna be a bit more out there and all RT players just wait until Death Watch comes out and you get to deal with space marines and tyranids hehehe

Funny thing, I don't really see any of us DH players "moaning about inequity," least, not those of us who have been paying attention to the fact that RT was meant to be "more powerful." It has pretty much been stated that each game is a stepping stone of power with varying focus. Something akin to SCION with its HERO , DEMIGOD , GOD source books; power and scope change.

I look forward to both RT and Ascension for differing reasons.

-=Brother Praetus=-