Boomer's Recon ability (question)

By benjebobs, in Battlestar Galactica

I've played BSG only twice so far (love it) and both times ended up as the dirty Cylon.

I lost the first game and had a hard fight to (eventually) win the second one. I played Boomer then and her Recon ability reads so: "At the end of you turn, you may look at the top card of the Crisis Deck and place it on the top or bottom"

During the game everyone got to see whether I placed the Crisis Card I'd just looked at on the top or bottom of the deck. This seems quite unfair to the Cylon players as you can't really shaft the Humans unless you don't care about being sent to the brig. I had to send some sweet Crisis Cards to the bottom so as to keep myself Human-friendly.

My question is this: are you allowed to put cards back secretly so other players don't know if the '33' card they've just drawn was placed by you the previous turn or not.

And whilst I'm here, we started putting our Skill Card discards onto the bottom of the piles; what do players think to that?

Opinions, ideas, advice to read the rules properly, all welcome!

Thanks!

benjebobs said:

I've played BSG only twice so far (love it) and both times ended up as the dirty Cylon.

I lost the first game and had a hard fight to (eventually) win the second one. I played Boomer then and her Recon ability reads so: "At the end of you turn, you may look at the top card of the Crisis Deck and place it on the top or bottom"

During the game everyone got to see whether I placed the Crisis Card I'd just looked at on the top or bottom of the deck. This seems quite unfair to the Cylon players as you can't really shaft the Humans unless you don't care about being sent to the brig. I had to send some sweet Crisis Cards to the bottom so as to keep myself Human-friendly.

My question is this: are you allowed to put cards back secretly so other players don't know if the '33' card they've just drawn was placed by you the previous turn or not.

No, you are not. The other players have to see whether you put it on top or below. But if you put a nasty card back, it's up to you to convince your fellow players that you had a plan/were sure the others were far more dangerous.

Also, yes, sometimes you have to let a nice card slip. It's all mind games, baby!

benjebobs said:

And whilst I'm here, we started putting our Skill Card discards onto the bottom of the piles; what do players think to that?

Opinions, ideas, advice to read the rules properly, all welcome!

Thanks!

I do not think it's a good idea. When a card orders you to place it back into the pile and reshuffle it, you have to cut the pile at where you have your discards. I say, technically it's not a problem, as long as you mark them discarded. It just seems to be more the hassle.

Thanks Mike! Now I can sleep easy at nights knowing that I won the last game fair and square. happy.gif

What a great game...