Best Book Adventure for CSMs?

By Idares, in Black Crusade Game Masters

First time poster, long time reader.

Simply put, I have new players that want to play Space Marines only and Archetypes on top of that. I have all the books. I dont have the RL time to write my own module.

Which one of the adventures would you prescribe for a party of Archetype level CSMs that enjoy combat?

They all kind of...suck, but since they get progressively worse, try Tome of Blood's.

You do not "write" modules. You create a sandbox environment and improvise.

And yeah, pre-written campaigns are garbage, all of them.

Any of the adventures can be tailored for what you are looking for.

Maybe start at the beginning with the main book adventure (powered up considerably if you have archetype CSMs) to give the characters a sense of being destined for greatness but focus more on the combat aspects and play down the mystery and investigation aspects if that's not what your players are looking.

The Tome of Fate adventure gives plenty of scope for the characters to cause glorious mayhem in Qsal (they may not even care about the maneuverings of the antagonists).

The adventure in the GM's screen also gives plenty of scope for conflict and adventure and again needs to be powered up considering the power level the players will be starting at.

Send them against 100 sisters of battle in an imperial shrine. Works well to keep them fearful but not instant death

Edited by Kamikazzijoe

100 sisters of battle will kill marines by the end of turn 1

Beat me to it.

It'd honestly be more helpful to know what they're playing. If they don't have any form of crowd/mob control, for example, don't toss mobs at them as an inevitable encounter.

You create a sandbox environment and improvise.

Problem is my players arent the most creative, so I need a quest that will give them direction.

It'd honestly be more helpful to know what they're playing.

They seem to favour a Noise Marine, Plague Marine and Thousand Son. The Noise Marine REALLY wants the Blast Master.

Thank you for the all the advise so far.

100 sisters of battle will kill marines by the end of turn 1

Not all at once! A squad or two on the wall. Another in the courtyard, 3 squads forming an ambush, another squad in the secret vault you're there to sack. That leaves 3 more to harry them wherever most appropriate.

Sororitas don't "harry", they chop you to pieces, set you on fire and blow you up. They are more than smart enough to focus their fire and will be fighting with ganging up boni against a small group of marines who suddenly will realise their power armour does not adequately protect them.

Unless you play them with kid gloves on, a convent will completely destroy a small squad of space marines with relative ease. Even a squad of sororitas is enough there.

If the Sororitas are dumb enough to dedicate 100% of all forces to even very small incursions, find three CSM flunkies (maybe get a Thousand Sons officer to donate some rubric marines) to attack from the front, then walk in through a side entrance, creating your own with explosives if you have to, raid the reliquary, then walk out without fighting a single battle sister. Having staggered lines of defense was not used throughout history because defending armies felt like the battle was too one-sided and wanted to give the attackers a sporting chance. It's because it is extremely easy to exploit a strategy of immediately committing all of your forces to the destruction of the very first enemy squad you detect.

They don't need 100% of their forces. For a small party, they need maybe 10-20 people, if they want to play it safe. Joe is, massively, underestimating what bolters, flamers and power armour on enemies can do to marines.

Never mind their usual loadout in TT, which is melta, melta, melta, more melta, even more melta...

Edited by DeathByGrotz

They don't need 100% of their forces. For a small party, they need maybe 10-20 people, if they want to play it safe. Joe is, massively, underestimating what bolters, flamers and power armour on enemies can do to marines.

Never mind their usual loadout in TT, which is melta, melta, melta, more melta, even more melta...

In any case, a good mission for a squad of CSM, since I'm currently GMing a squad of them, is something involving brutal fighting now and then, but I find the fun is taking them out of their comfort zones. My two nurglites do not appreciates having to deal with a q'sallian magister to acquire a daemon engine, but who else makes such fantastic engines? My khorneate chafes to kill the slaaneshi pirates he's gotta deal with, but how else will he get the ships they need? My Chosen haaaates talking to people, but how else will they get armies? And finally my Word Bearer champion has a particular dislike for the alien, but those Dark Eldar web way routes would cause such chaos for the enemy and leave many worlds open to infiltration or unexpected assault.

EDIT: yes, in my world the Dark Eldar might let you use very specific parts of their web way for a single specific purpose if you give them enough of "what they want"

Edited by filliman

Having run three prewritten adventures for my group, I recommend the freebie Broken Chains. The concept is interesting, gives players a reason to come together as a single warband, despite their disparate pasts, and opens them up for later adventures. Bonus interaction with a daemonhost that could easily provide plot hooks for other stories.

Lots of hate for prewritten scenarios here. Personally, I don't think any of the BC ones are as bad as the DH2.0 one.

There's some good advice here. Pre-written adventures generally aren't too bad if you're willing to slightly rework them for your group. You got a pretty nasty group of marines who like to fight. So with whatever adventure you do pick up, playup the fighting and downplay the social and investigation aspects.

Honestly if you have a bunch of guys who basically just like to fight and revel in blood. If you ever get tired of or run out of published adventures to massage you could just give them some NPC minions who function as there eyes and ears, and use that to set them upon more or less dungeon crawls that are light on narrative.

"Master! Our agents have learned that a nearby Warlord/Chaos Champion/Inquisitor/ Whatever has come into possession of gear/wealth/knowledge/artifacts/void ships, these fools are weak and unprepared we can take it all if we strike their castle/void station/bunker/hive block!"

Just madlib them it, place in appropriate enemies both for the story and what you want them to deal with mechanically. And put some reward at the end of it, it can be stuff like a bunch of slaves that translate to infamy or really anything. You can also just have them be part of some other guy's warband, fighting endless small scale conflicts on his behalf. Have him be a jerk, and hope eventually they want to kill him and they get into it. It's easy to come up with adventures for people who just want to fight some people, put them on a track with some enemies. I imagine the real issue might be keeping their interest if combat is their sole focus and they aren't otherwise invested.

The one in Tome of Blood is pretty good. If the PCs screw up they can end up tangling with a bloodthirster, which, hopefully, will give them a run for their money.