Gen Con 2009

By player1815941, in CoC Organized Play

Hello everybody! I've never been able to play this game since the guy at the Local Game Store says that this game is stupid and no one will ever buy it. My only way of playing the game is to play at gen con.

Does anyone know what kind of events will be going on for this game this year?

Thanks for helping a noob out!

There is going to be League Play every day at GenCon, so this is a great opportunity to enjoy this game.

By the way, it is NOT a stupid game... I co-own a game store and we do reasonably well selling this game. It is quite strategic and very fun.

Will there be anything for newer players and is there a schedule up yet?

Here are the listings for Call of Cthulhu at Gen Con (I didn't bother posting World Championship tournament as you were interested in beginner events...)

CGM0901147 Call of Cthulhu LCG GenCon League - Day 1
Day 1 of the Call of Cthulhu GenCon league.
Come take part in this convention league, as you get a chance to experience the Call of Cthulhu league and meet other servants of the Ancient Ones.
8/13/09 12:00
Comfortable (you play regularly)

CGM0901146 Call of Cthulhu LCG Core Set Showdown
This is a casual tournament designed for new players. Participants must make the best use out of 1 Call of Cthulhu Core Set. Staff will be on hand to assist you with questions.
08/14/2009 13:00 PM

CGM0901148 Call of Cthulhu LCG GenCon League - Day 2
Day 2 of the Call of Cthulhu GenCon league.
Come take part in this convention league, as you get a chance to experience the Call of Cthulhu league and meet other servants of the Ancient Ones.
08/14/2009 19:00 PM

CGM0901149 Call of Cthulhu LCG GenCon League - Day 3
Day 3 of the Call of Cthulhu GenCon league.
08/15/2009 19:00 PM
Comfortable (you play regularly) No Paul Bromen

CGM0901150 Call of Cthulhu LCG GenCon League - Day 4
Day 4 of the Call of Cthulhu GenCon league.
08/16/09 11:00

I'll definitely try to be at the Core Set Showdown. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to play in the gen con league thing, but I'll probably be by to watch.

Oh yeah and anyone feel free to post here if they are going to be at gen con. We could organize some kind of meet up.

League play: IIRC league games in CoC you are only allowed to use cards from exactly one purchase of each set of cards.

So that's 1 core set, and then one of each chapter pack. This is a nice card pool, and also easy to get the whole collection of cards allowed (just buy ONE of everything).

And that's that!