Justice as a motivation?

By Intys Rule, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Can you guys give me a few more examples of Justice/Cruelty as Morality/Conflict? I'm looking for specific examples that a GM could use to bring Morality into play.

Thanks!

/sub

Being just, a character will often take a choice of action based on the outcome being fair, even at his own expense. So if he has two apples and comes accross a hungry person you may expect him to offer that person one of his two apples. Of course he could demand a payment or service for the apple, this could be demeaning or spiteful.

What if two children were drawning, he could save one at no risk to himself but to save both he may end up dead himself. It would be cruel to let one of the children drawn though and just to try and save both right?

Or perhaps Jar Jar is going to be punished, and he helped you get to Boss Nass. It would be cruel to millions to save him, and just for him to be punished. :D

An excellent example is Jacen Solo. SPOILERS FOR SOME LEGENDS NOVELS AHEAD - no worries though, 'cause these particular novels were crap (pure opinion) even if they illustrate the point

Basically, Jacen Solo wanders the galaxy and eventually comes back to the Galactic Federation of Free Alliance (New New Republic). He looks out and realizes that the galaxy has been in near continuous war for 65 years, give or take for my bad math. His conclusion is that a just galaxy, where weak beings can live without the fear of being walked over by the more powerful, is a secure galaxy. Next thing you know, he's leading the army on Coruscant, kicking down doors and rounding up dissidents in the name of security and justice for the weak. Then he's interrogating, even murdering people, to get information that will help him root out threats to that security.

And it's called justice in his mind, because he's rounding up the criminals who proved themselves dangerous to the weak in his eyes. Said justice leads to extreme measures and cruelty. Is Jacen just cruel and using justice to justify it? Quite possibly.

Another example... In The Dark Knight , Harvey Dent is driven to the brink trying to get Rachel back from the Joker (justice for Rachel), but winds up threatening a man with a variation of Russian-roulette. This is emotional cruelty on a deep level, even if the game is rigged to keep him alive.

Basically, I see justice as a rigid concept with no forgiveness - there's only the law, which says crime must be punished. Cruelty comes in when that justice is taken to the extreme and leaves no room for forgiveness or someone who has genuinely had a change of heart. That's how I would interpret it.

Edited by MuttonchopMac