Representing Juyo?

By RMDanks, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Without a Juyo specialization, how would you model the fighting style of NPCs like the Jedi Exile, Mace Windu (technically Vaapad), or Darth Maul?

As of right now, I'm thinking Ataru down to Saber Swarm, and Aggressor's far right column down to the second Toughened, then over to Crippling Blow.

Thoughts?

Edited by RMDanks

That sounds right to me.

You could always say in narrative and descriptions. Especially when describing cool battles between actions and rolls. Even though the mechanic isn't technically there and you may have to make your own setup for it--- you could describe the actions made and narrate the style.

I like to let my PCs describe their actions when they want to to add narrative and set how their character may act in battle. Not all the time or else it will take forever but when they feel like something they do is cool looking! Maneuver behind barrel for cover than shoot maybe strain for the prone maneuver: describe the classic yelling and jumping through the air shooting while diving behind some barrels.

That but add to maybe your NPC like Darth maul twirling or somersaulting through the air spinning blades etc. this can give a lot of flare to combat. Someone slowly walking towards you and a dice roll and he strikes for X damage is scary mechanic wise but how about. The NPC slowly draws his arms back charging into you -- eyes determined on one thing, your death. One last good look at your for as he suddenly twists through the air...blades blurring as he strikes!

Roll dice...

In terms of official material, I suspect we'll see a Juyo-based specialization in the eventual Warrior career sourcebook. It seems too specific to be a signature ability though.

In the mean-time, I might suggest also adding in Shii-Cho Knight into the Ataru Striker/Aggressor mix for the Sarlacc Sweep (autofire to take down multiple foes at once) as well as Second Wind (handy for strain recovery) and a slew of ranks in Parry so that when you do get tagged by a melee attack (particularly of the lightsaber variety), you'll be able to negate a lot of the damage, making that strain expenditure to trigger Parry far more valuable. Plus a rank of Defensive Training, as increased melee defense doesn't hurt either.

I personally suspect that Juyo will be a full specialization and Vaapad will be the accompanying career's Signature Ability, but whatever feels right in the narrative is good.

Tbh I would chose ability for characters based on comic/screen presence rather then anything else.

Maul would have a couple ranks in fearful presence, parry 5 and sarlac sweep. A few ranks in defensive training and sense would more or less round out this difficult to deal with, savage killer. Keep in mind that a double bladed light saber is a powerful weapon in its own right. Or start his Parry off lower and raise it when he's using both blades.

Windu would be similar, parry 5, lightsaber swarm, the entire seek tree (scoring ether triumphs or gaining immense perice on non-lightsaber attacks really screams vaapad and shatter point), a few ranks of defense training and likely the enhance tree would cover his abilities, perhaps even a little bind would be useful if you watched the older animated series.

Exile? No idea. She can do anything, so give her anything and that do. Xd

I would go Ataru Striker + the left side of Shien Expert (Djem So) + Shien technique.