Possible FAQ question

By xfoley96, in Elder Sign

I know that when given a choice of penalties, if you can't fulfill one of the choices, you must choose the other. I'm wondering if this is the same for Entry effects. I currently have the beta version of the expansion (getting the official expansion next week for my birthday), so I'm assuming these made it into the final version, but I noticed that there are several mythos cards that create an Entry effect for Other Worlds (you must discard a common item or a clue, or a spell or a unique item, etc.). Can you not go to OW's if you don't have the item to sacrifice? That's the way I've been playing it....

I don't see a problem in investigators moving to adventures they cannot satisfy the Entry effects of. Rules don't say anything at regard, so it's a safe move.

I agree. The rules specifically talk about mythos cards, where you cannot choose an option that has no effect. Entry effects must be applied before you get to attempt the adventure, but there is no language that states that they are requirements and that you must suffer the effect or get booted out. If you can avoid or prevent the entry effect, then a winner is you!

Yup. From a designer's point of view, I think the reason for this is to keep the game playable even under the most awful conditions: just consider the (extremely unlikely yet possible) case where all adventures in play have an Entry effect you cannot solve. Or what happens if the adventure is face-down? You move there, discover you cannot resolve the entry, and then? Move back to the Streets of Arkham? If this were the case, it'd be covered by the rules, so, don't worry about it

Well, in the case I presented, you definitely know the Entry effect going in because it's on the mythos card. I wonder if there are any entry effects on adventure cards that you might not be able to fulfill. I think most of them are "a monster appears here", "advance the clock", or "lose 1 stamina or sanity" (in which case you die if you have only 1 of each and no way to heal), and the like- things that will always take place unless you can specifically prevent it with an ability, item or event. I can definitely see not being forced out of an adventure for an entry effect that you can't see going in (no fun to waste a turn entirely), but I can't think of any other examples like those I mentioned on the mythos cards, and when you know there's a sacrifice ahead of time seems that might change the scenario a bit, and it could be a special case for OW's.

I agree with the general assessment that it's not an official rule in the book, and therefore would qualify as a house rule for the time being, but I like the idea of 'requiring a sacrifice' to enter the OW for the day- it's not like it would become a permanent requirement for the rest of the game. Might make for an interesting slumbering ability for a new AO down the road...

As has been said many times- 'play how you like!'

Yup. From a designer's point of view, I think the reason for this is to keep the game playable even under the most awful conditions: just consider the (extremely unlikely yet possible) case where all adventures in play have an Entry effect you cannot solve. Or what happens if the adventure is face-down? You move there, discover you cannot resolve the entry, and then? Move back to the Streets of Arkham? If this were the case, it'd be covered by the rules, so, don't worry about it

And then there is the Forbidden Library, where investigators go to die. Tough to complete, has a nasty penalty (take a doom token or be cursed), plus you can't move away, so you get trapped there. So you naturally send other investigators there to save the trapped one, and the vicious cycle repeats. Evil.

And then there is the Forbidden Library, where investigators go to die. Tough to complete, has a nasty penalty (take a doom token or be cursed), plus you can't move away, so you get trapped there. So you naturally send other investigators there to save the trapped one, and the vicious cycle repeats. Evil.

Yup. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of adventures from which you cannot move. Fortunately, there is only a couple of them in the game, and the other two (Prisoner of a Madman and Arrested - going by memory) are not too much difficult to pass.

Remember, tho, that there's a trick: open a gate on Forbidden Library. Any investigator on that adventure is immediately returned to the Streets of Arkham.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?? :blink:

*whips out manual* *flip* *flip* flip*

Well, ****. :unsure:

LOL. Don't worry, Jason, it's a nuance (but aye, your latest games against Yog could have ended differently).

(but it's - imho - a fantastic nuance, something that gives you the idea of how Sam is good with games)

Clearly, I need to read the rules more carefully. It's right there in the manual. Then again, I've done the final battle wrong since the beginning.

Now I'm itching for some payback against Yog.

And yes, I can see what you mean about Sam. The level of strategy in this expansion continues to amaze me. He's done so much with so little.

Knowing this, Yog just asked me for asylum. Poor kitty, it's the wrong threshold... *devil*

Knowing this, Yog just asked me for asylum. Poor kitty, it's the wrong threshold... *devil*

Ha! Tell him I'm revoking his passport. :)

It was close. I collected 11 Elder Signs before he got me.

LOL. 11 ES is not bad!! Hope you had fun :) Rematch in sight?

LOL. 11 ES is not bad!! Hope you had fun :) Rematch in sight?

Rematch will probably be in the next couple of days.

Lessons learned:

* Do the easy adventures early to get items. Failing a bunch of adventures early can really hurt.

* Don't rush right to the gates on the first turns, and try to go in with at least a clue or an extra die

* Don't roll badly

* Use, use, use the entrance abilities. Get rid of cards you don't like.

* Skills are fantastic if you don't get the crappy ones

* Stock up on some extra healing because there never seems to be enough. Akachi is a rock star against Yog. Tommy, Carolyn, and Vincent are useful too.

* At otherworlds, clues and common/unique items liberally

* There are going to be Gates everywhere. You won't be able to fix this. Just try to keep the number of gates on the board under three so monsters don't start showing up everywhere.

* The final battle is tougher when you actually do it correctly

Edited by jlhorner1974