Imperial airspeeder/atmospheric patrols advice.

By grendelthebrave, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Greetings all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice lore-wise as to what sort of airspeeders the Empire might use for garrison/local atmospheric patrols. Specifically I'm thinking for the planet Onderon, where my group is going through Operation Shadowpoint. I was hoping to offer some more opportunities to get the modified T-16s up and fighting.

It seems from some recent SW Rebels episodes, that the easy answer is to just have TIE fighters do all the work, but it seems like they might not necessarily be the best option for atmospheric patrols.

I have the old WEG Imperial Sourcebook, which only really covers starships and a pile of large and relatively slow moving land based craft.

Anywyay, if anyone has any advice to ofer for inspiration I'd appreciate it, I'm probably just over thinking this and should just use some TIEs or modified T-47s.

I would say something along the lines of the LAAT ..

There are several Imperial models that have evolved from it such as the MAAT and the IDT .

They also use some Police Gunships later on in the Rebels series and those could work to.

The Empire does not dial it down unless it is strictly a police action. Securing Air/space superiority is therefore a military matter.

In my interpretation they use TIE/ln, Howlrunners, and whatever is left over from some special project or a previous war.

I think somewhere in the Empire some pencil pushers decided that it is cheaper to just use TIEs for everything, keeps their price low and spare parts are never a problem.

One thing to consider aswell is that Onderon is home to a fairly large naval base so they probebly have alot of Tie´s stationed there that they would want to keep busy and they probebly have plenty of recruits in the need for some practice. This probebly means that they use alot of Ties for routine patrols across the world. My idea with the LAATs is they would be patrols sent out by the garrison instead and to maintain order. You cant very easily land a Tie to inspect a group of speeders making their way through the jungle or check up on the local settlements. Depending on the purpose of the patrol there could be many options for vehicles used.

If you want to use T-47s or T-16s, I would go with a local police force instead of the Imperials.

Mauler Tactical Responder

Far Horizons, pg 51.

Republic-police-gunship_detail.png

One thing to consider aswell is that Onderon is home to a fairly large naval base so they probebly have alot of Tie´s stationed there that they would want to keep busy and they probebly have plenty of recruits in the need for some practice. This probebly means that they use alot of Ties for routine patrols across the world. My idea with the LAATs is they would be patrols sent out by the garrison instead and to maintain order. You cant very easily land a Tie to inspect a group of speeders making their way through the jungle or check up on the local settlements. Depending on the purpose of the patrol there could be many options for vehicles used.

Good point, the munitions depot has a strong naval presence so lots of TIEs around makes sense. And the LAATs if they need to drop in a group of soldiers or Stormtroopers somewhere.

Far Horizons, pg 51.

This is so awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: Not to be confused with these not so sexy Maulers:

400px-Eaw_tie-mauler.jpg

Edited by grendelthebrave

Far Horizons, pg 51.

We saw non-painted Imperial versions of these in Rebels, Episode 10 "Call to Action."

Also, the TIE/gt and TIE/fc work effectively for ground attack.

Far Horizons, pg 51.

We saw non-painted Imperial versions of these in Rebels, Episode 10 "Call to Action."

What we see in Rebels and The Clone Wars is the Police Gunship. The Mauler TR per Far Horizons is "based on the design of the rugged Republic Police Gunship". Similar, but not the same thing. http://www.starwars.com/databank/police-gunship

I don't know...TIEs are very nimble, the Rebels shows they can land without any special gear. Of coutse TCW had ships entering and leaving hyperspace in atmosphere, so use a grain of salt.

I agree there could easily be lots of TIEs. But, I wouldn't use the TIEs for troop transports. Fire support, scouting from above, sure. Against what Rebels has shown, they aren't designed to carry passengers and the pilot is a pilot not a ground or security trooper. You wouldn't want a craft intended for ship-ship combat landing and exposing itself to do inspections. The TIE might spot something that is to be inspected then the pilot would call in a transport (such as the one above) to drop some ground troops.

For a modern reference you wouldn't have jet fighters landing on highways so the pilots could get out and inspect convoys.

I agree there could easily be lots of TIEs. But, I wouldn't use the TIEs for troop transports. Fire support, scouting from above, sure. Against what Rebels has shown, they aren't designed to carry passengers and the pilot is a pilot not a ground or security trooper. You wouldn't want a craft intended for ship-ship combat landing and exposing itself to do inspections. The TIE might spot something that is to be inspected then the pilot would call in a transport (such as the one above) to drop some ground troops.

For a modern reference you wouldn't have jet fighters landing on highways so the pilots could get out and inspect convoys.

No question, I don't think anyone has considered using TIEs as any sort of transport. My original question was whether something smaller and more atmosphere-friendly (read: aerodynamic) might be used by the Imps as an atmospheric patrol craft. Though having TIEs do this job seems to be fully reasonable, while using things like the Mauler Tactical Responder or LAAT if they need to deploy some soldiers or make some arrests somewhere.

You can t very easily land a Tie to inspect a group of speeders making their way through the jungle or check up on the local settlements. Depending on the purpose of the patrol there could be many options for vehicles used.

My fault for skimming. I missed the "t" in "cant" above.

On 3/9/2015 at 4:28 PM, Sturn said:

What we see in Rebels and The Clone Wars is the Police Gunship. The Mauler TR per Far Horizons is "based on the design of the rugged Republic Police Gunship". Similar, but not the same thing. http://www.starwars.com/databank/police-gunship

Do you know if there are official stats for the Police Gunship/Imperial Patrol Transport?

There is a cool one in ghosts of dathomir. I dont have the book with me but it is basically an imperial LAAT

There's always the Imperial Dropship Transport from Forged in Battle.