determine initiative

By fiddybucks, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

I was playing in a store champs today,I thought you randomly decided who got to choose initiative. The TO ruled winner gets initiative. No choice.

I did not argue but I don't agree with the ruling.

Since we do not have a faq yet I looked at other ffg games to check.

Xwing: winner chooses. If points tied.

Warhammer invasion:winner chooses

Net runner: Corp

Starwars lcg: dark side

Agot: plots determine

so as it stands now it is ambiguous, but I am pretty sure it will be ruled as a choice in the future based on history

What is being won that determines who gets initiative?

And this is just the set-up initiative, correct? Because battle initiative is determined by the game, and during-play intiative is passed at the end of a game round, regardless what happened during that round.

From the "Learn to play" book, page 5:

4) Determine initiative.

Randomly determine which
player starts the game with the initiative token, and set it
in front of that player.

Looks like you should be randomly determining initiative. Tournament rules only mention initiative once, and that's in regards to deciding if you're going to mulligan or not.

I would say this isn't ambiguous, though, I'm not sure what the logic would be behind changing it. Reduce chances of cheating? Provide a consistant measure of who gets initiative?

P5. of the Learn to Play Guide:

4) Determine Initiative. Randomly determine which player starts the game with the initiative token, and set it in front of that player .

I'm assuming when you say "Winner determines initiative" that you had a dice roll/coin toss etc. and the winner of that then chose the initiative for the first turn of the game?

That is a common way to determine first or second in games such as Magic, but in this case disagrees with the LtP Guide.

Edit: Xraysteve beat me to it.

Edited by babelfish666

P5. of the Learn to Play Guide:

4) Determine Initiative. Randomly determine which player starts the game with the initiative token, and set it in front of that player .

I'm assuming when you say "Winner determines initiative" that you had a dice roll/coin toss etc. and the winner of that then chose the initiative for the first turn of the game?

That is a common way to determine first or second in games such as Magic, but in this case disagrees with the LtP Guide.

Edit: Xraysteve beat me to it.

When I read 'winner', I was only thinking of the player with more tournament points.

Of course it could mean winner of the die roll/coin toss. :P

It's worth noting that when determining which player has initiative for each battle, the determination is not optional. If you win, you have to take it. So it's not much of a leap to say that all initiative contests in the game are mandatory, not a choice.

It was roll a dice. Coin flip what ever. I remember xwing used to have the player with lower points had it. But then it was faq to let that person choose. I'm pretty sure ktom is correct for now. But it will be reversed in the future

It was roll a dice. Coin flip what ever. I remember xwing used to have the player with lower points had it. But then it was faq to let that person choose. I'm pretty sure ktom is correct for now. But it will be reversed in the future

Not without contradicting their own rulebook ;) . This is likely an extremely common mistake so don't be surprised if most people you play against believe the way the TO did.

Not without contradicting their own rulebook ;) . This is likely an extremely common mistake so don't be surprised if most people you play against believe the way the TO did.

All the rule book says is randomly determine initiative. Letting one player pass initiative to his opponent does not contradict the rulebook.

All the rule book says is randomly determine initiative. Letting one player pass initiative to his opponent does not contradict the rulebook.

If anything, you could just say the 'loser' gets initiative. :P Though, you should probably clarify with your opponent before rolling/flipping.

If anything, you could just say the 'loser' gets initiative. :P Though, you should probably clarify with your opponent before rolling/flipping.

I like that. Last round of store champs we rolled a d20. My opponent rolled a 19 and of course I got a 20 :o

It says "randomly determine which player gets initiative". One player passing initiative is not random, in casual play it would be fine, in tournament play it would be calculated. The random part means to me that whichever player is chosen gets the initiative whether they want it or not.

Personally I feel either a coin flip or an odds/evens dice roll are the best methods to determine the random player.

Edited by babelfish666

From wh:i rulebook

4. Determine First Player.

The first player should be determined randomly, either by a coin flip or some other method agreed upon by both players.

In the tourney rules it is expanded upon meaning randomly Determine. Winner chooses.

same thing with x wing in rules it did not allow you to choose but was later added.

I'm not arguing against the ruling I just hope we get an faq soon

You could always play twister see who gets it.

Roshambo for it. :)