X-Wing Grey Importing

By deadrebel, in Support

Apologies if this is not the right location for this support, but I've sent mails and Tweets with no response and I can't find the right category for this on the forums.

I am from Cape Town, and we have 2 major sources of X-Wing miniatures in South Africa - one is an official FFG distributor, while the other is a smaller shop that 'grey imports' their stock. As 'grey importing' isn't considered illegal in South Africa, and the board game community here is small, yet growing (with competition essential, if you've seen our $ to local currency exchange, you'll understand), I wanted to reach out to FFG to find out exactly what kind of impact grey importing has on FFG and/or the local gaming scene.

Specifically the following:

1) What is FFG's stance on grey imports?

2) How does grey importing effect FFG considering a location for official National Champ Kits (with regards to X-Wing specifically)?

3) What is FFG's stance on official distributors selling direct to the public (i.e though an internet store)?

4) Does FFG track stock sold through their official distributors in order to judge how eligible a country or region is for National Champ Kits?

I don't mind if the responses are sent via PM - I just want to get a response from FFG. I facilitate a local board gaming community of +-100 people and I would like to be able to inform them properly.

Thanks

A grey market is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels which are legal but are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer. The most common type of grey market is the sale, by individuals or small companies not authorized by the manufacturer, of imported goods which would otherwise be either more expensive in the country to which they are being imported, or unavailable altogether.