Deadly Accuracy

By Kilcannon, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Is deadly accuracy with a Lightsaber too much? Have two PCs that have access to talent and before they choose it was wondering what others thought? I'm considering against it

It's well within the rules and it only makes sense that it can work the same as it does for normal Melee weapons.

Besides, that basically means players are likely focusing more on Lightsaber skills and talents instead of being more well-rounded, which means they will default to Lightsaber more often, which can be great opportunities for both Obligation (Criminal and Bounty in particular) and Conflict.

Well, thus far there's on Deadly Accuracy to be had within any of the Lightsaber Form trees, so the PC's got to dip into another spec to get Deadly Accuracy in the first place. It's also not in any of the Force and Destiny specializations (at least the Beta versions), so that means going into a non-career spec.

But with the basic lightsaber having been reduced drastically in terms of damage output, allowing Deadly Accuracy to work with a lightsaber is not anywhere near as potentially game-breaking as applying Deadly Accuracy to a heavy blaster rifle (which has Autofire, which itself is largely seen as game-breaking).

There are always more Stormtroopers. (Or whatever). Minions scale well in my experience (I've run a group to a thousand total XP now) as even with Toughened and Endure and super armors and the like....blaster carbines and rifle still will tickle. PC's can feel like Die Hard actions heroes but in the end, there can be more Black Sun thugs, Stormtroopers, crazy beasts trying to eat them, speeder crashes, toxic gas and all that.

Lightsabers are (in the default setting) not the smartest weapon to use in many circumstance (nor are heavy blaster rifles) as they tend to draw a lot of unwanted attention. The BH in my campaign had access to Soft Spot and Deadly Accuracy and he tricked out a Bowcaster to have autofire. His first hit with the DP flip was 18 base damage and he wasn't even 'maxed' out. He would lay the hurt on things but honestly with the mix of cinimatic damage to weapon, it getting left behind once at the base due to a Despair and just a nice mix of social scenes where he couldn't carry it, when he did get to bust out with it and mow through people it felt even that more awesome.

There are ways to protect your key antagonists. (Coordinated Dodge talent works wonders if you need to control someone's survival pacing and isn't a Force talent so you can give it to any bad guy). I've run a few lightsaber duels and they all felt perfect. A few avoidance defense (Defense dice, Dodge/adversary/Sense defense increase) coupled with Parry and Reflect and just the nature of EotE's dice system allow for a good exchange, even when the PC wasn't a super combat focused character.

So if the lightsaber wielding PC is doing 10-12 base damage before successes on the first hit with a LS a turn, it's about the same as the heavy with similar skill/talents. Deadly Accuarcy only applies to one hit in a combat check (Doesn't have to be the first) so Dual wielding or if they get the Linked attack talent for LS or what have you still only gives 1 damage spike in that event. If there is no social ramifications for the Lightsaber wielder (as really you don't need to have any Force connection to make that thing a worthwhile weapon) then just add more minions and rivals as needed.

Edited by Prost