Alternate Morality system

By Jaradakar, in Game Mechanics

Alternate Morality System:

Goals:

• Remove large passive gain (D10 with a 5.5 average gain, for doing nothing does not feel good to our group).
  • Our group was contemplating dropping it to a D4, but want to avoid using new/additional dice to the game.
  • Reduce burden on GM having to constantly pass out conflict just to keep morality gain down (they should be free to add it when it's appropriate)
  • Have the amount of Morality gained per session not be based on a core attribute (The most logical choice seems to have it based on current amount of Morality).
  • Maintain that doing bad things (or using dark side force) is a RISK but not a guarantee loss of Morality.

Roll is made at the end of every session (less book keeping, if you have long play sessions, you can do the same thing most groups do with EXP -- give bonuses).

Positive dice rolled is based on current morality rating:

40 and below: 1 green
41-70: 2 green
71+: 1 green

Fastest gains are in the middle but once you get too high or low, it slows down Morality gain -- Star Wars universe feels like a polarizing place, you are either a Jedi or a Sith, but rarely are you in the middle ground.

Add purple dice for each conflict point gained -- if you start running low on dice, can upgrade purple to red, just count red as x2 purple (Despair can count as 2 losses or 1 depending on if you want to make it a thing)

Dice results cancel each other, just like normal.

Every success = 1 point morality gained.
Every 2 advantage = 1 point morality gained
Every failure = 1 point morality lost
Every 2 disadvantages = 1 point morality lost

Morality gains with this system, should be closer to a D4 roll. Our group wanted rising up to paragon to be a slower process and this also helps out GM by allowing him to avoid constantly adding conflict, just to reduce the massive D10 gain (5.5 average). For us, the reduced the amount of morality gains has the added benefit that doing something that causes conflict is now more meaningful.

Of course if your group wants bigger morality gains, you can always adjust the green dice to be more/less etc.

All the things that are listed in the book that generate conflict remain the same.

Thanks for taking time to read!

Edited by Jaradakar

I am thinking of making an alternative conflict table for those who have turned to the dark side. How it would work would be that the darksider gets conflict for actions like acting merciful without a direct gain, not actively taking power when it is available and similar. At the end of each session he would roll the D10 like normal but reverse the roll so he is required to roll below his conflict or gain morality.

I have not yet gotten into the details yet, I am still working out the basics but I think that this might more accurately model the difference between lightsiders and darksiders. It would be still be gameable for someone who wants to increase his/her morality but if you have players who are likely to try to take advantage of the rules ignoring the intent of the rules the problem lies with your players not the system in my opinion.

I should be clear and state that at the moment this is an exercise in seeing what would work rather than an active attempt to 'fix' the system. Though I have yet to run the game I am working toward it and my read of the rules suggests that it should be fine so long as the players treat the system based on the intent as I have stated above rather than the letter of the rules.

I would be interested in what you guys think, leaving aside for the moment whether the rules are broken or not or needed.

Thoughts?

E

eldath, that sounds like a good way to do it.

Our problem, is that none of us like the D10 roll. I do understand that RAW makes the assumption that everyone is good and working towards having high morality and this takes away the burden of having to track good/moral deeds and lets the GM focus on just the moments that cause conflict.

But a single dice roll is very swingy, so that alone bugs me. On top of that it puts a ton of pressure on the GM to continue to come up with easy (conflict) and hard (no-conflict) hooks into the story (x the number of players if they're all running jedi/morality).

Not to mention with a 5.5 average roll on the D10, means that everyone is getting 90+ in just 7 sessions (assuming you start at 50) -- which to our group is a super fast amount of time.

Needless to say, our group is still debating on what we're going to do.