Should I buy this Edition or wait for the Second Edition?

By Sreer, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hello,

I'm new to the game (and the forum, hi ;P), and I haven't bought the core set yet (was about to do it when I saw the second edition news).

My question is in the thread title already. I am not sure what to do now :/

It is noteworthy that I don't play in tournaments, so that is not an issue. But is it unwise to buy into this game now? Will FFG even reprint the 'old' chapter packs? (I want to start a collection).

Thanks for your answers in advance!

It all kind of depends of what you're looking for. If I recall correctly, the announcement mentioned something about the rules being overhauled. That implies the two games will be similar, but not the same, and the 2nd Ed. cards are unlikely to play well with the 1st Ed. cards. It's therefore unlikely that FFG will be reprinting "old" 1st Ed. chapter packs moving forward. My guess is that the two should not be considered part of the same "collection."

That said, if you're not planning on playing competitively, there's really no reason to shy away from 1st Ed. The cards and game are there to be played, and even with no new cards being printed going forward, the ones that already exist are as playable as ever. If you're looking for a game to play, 1st Ed. is a great one. If you're looking for a large, but finite, set of cards to collect, 1st Ed. would actually be better than 2nd Ed. It's really only if you're looking for a new hobby you can continue with indefinitely or a set of cards to collect that will continue to grow that waiting for the 2nd Ed. might make more sense.

Ktom basically covered it. It's also worth noting that, although they probably won't reprint 'old' chapter packs, I bet it's easier than ever to find people's (even complete!) collections for sale second-hand. There are people who don't want to continue to collect/own cards for a game that will get discontinued looking to get rid of theirs...

If you have friends to play with, or an interest in amassing a complete collection of the game, then buying AGOT1.0 is a pretty good idea right now. If you're relying on a local AGOT scene that might shift over completely to AGOT 2.0, well... I'd bide my time.

Edited by -Istaril

Thanks for your answers :)

I think I will go with the first edition for now, but not buy too many character packs. If I get a chance, I'll grab it from someone else.

Also, I will play the game, but irregulary and in a small circle also.

I'll buy the first edition soon, and probably will buy the second Edition aswell once it comes out.

Thanks again :)