Would a long-time D&D 4e group enjoy this game?

By divinityofnumber, in Zombie Apocalypse

I have been running 4e for a long time. I love it, and the players really love D&D 4e. That said, it is the only pen and paper RPG that any of us have ever played.

Would a group who has always had an absolute blast playing 4e enjoy this RPG?

We all enjoy zombie stuff (variants of the zombie film genre, Walking Dead compendia and TV show, We're Alive podcast, etc.), and we play other FFG games, so were thinking about giving this a try. So, I am wondering, do people who LOVE D&D 4e also enjoy this game?

Edited by divinityofnumber

Is it the gathering of friends, playing, telling a story, having fun with the game that you enjoy? If so, EotW could be just fine.

Is it the fantasy setting of playing a barbarian, or wizard, etc that is the big draw? Then maybe you'll want to create an EotW character that isn't you but someone else in another location.

Is it the 4e system with all the detailed charts, spells, weapons, defined world, etc that you love? Maybe EotW isn't for you.

I tend to believe if your group enjoys gathering and playing, you can adapt to any game. Since you love zombies, you would probably do well with it.

From my experience, people that are number crunchers at heart don't do well with simplistic games like this. That's not saying that your group wouldn't like it... they might. The truth is we don't have enough information about your group to know how to answer that. I will say that I know of a number of 3.5 Edition, Pathfinder, etc that do not... they can't wrap their head around how simple this is and want to make it a lot harder than it needs to be.

From my experience, people that are number crunchers at heart don't do well with simplistic games like this. That's not saying that your group wouldn't like it... they might. The truth is we don't have enough information about your group to know how to answer that. I will say that I know of a number of 3.5 Edition, Pathfinder, etc that do not... they can't wrap their head around how simple this is and want to make it a lot harder than it needs to be.

That's good to know. I think that the number-crunching element of D&D is a part of the draw. I teach statistics and do research, another one of our group is an engineer, etc. The 4e system can seem number-crunchy and complex, but once you get used to it the game can really flow well and feel fluid.

I tried Edge of Empire and did not like that as well as D&D. For example, as a DM, sometimes it is nice to have some clear cut rules, such as for movement. In EoE, if a player says, "I'm going to run over there and jump behind that set of barrels.", but it looks like a bit too far to run in a single game action, it can feel odd saying no, etc. D&D specifically tells you how far you can move, so you are more free to story-tell and don't have to worry about little things like that.

That's good to know. I think that the number-crunching element of D&D is a part of the draw. I teach statistics and do research, another one of our group is an engineer, etc. The 4e system can seem number-crunchy and complex, but once you get used to it the game can really flow well and feel fluid.

I tried Edge of Empire and did not like that as well as D&D. For example, as a DM, sometimes it is nice to have some clear cut rules, such as for movement. In EoE, if a player says, "I'm going to run over there and jump behind that set of barrels.", but it looks like a bit too far to run in a single game action, it can feel odd saying no, etc. D&D specifically tells you how far you can move, so you are more free to story-tell and don't have to worry about little things like that.

I had a FAR leap to get "out of" the D&D mentality. I've played D&D since the 80s after all... I personally like the more narrative systems now, but everyone goes through their own twists and turns. So yeah, I love EotE/AoR, but I also love Cortex Plus (Firefly, Leverage, etc). I think I just got tired of having to think too much about numbers lol. To this point, a good friend of mine from Pathfinder days has tried EotE and has since left because he misses the looting and min/maxing. (Min/Maxing are his words)

Edited by Bryn Shamino

Here's the thing... 4e was meant to draw in the video game crowd by building characters in much the same way that you do in a VG RPG. Everything stacks and you can do some wonderful things with it. As a number cruncher and occasional power gamer, I can get behind 3.0, 4e, pathfinder et al.

On the flip side, when I want a quick game that can be thrown together on short notice to fill a gap between campaigns or while another player is out of town for a few weekends and the rest of us want to get together for a "quickie", this is the type of game we turn to.

It doesn't take a lot to set it up and you don't feel completely cheated as if you had spent 2 weeks spec'ing out a character and he died in the first 2 sessions. It's easy and a "load off" to let your imagination flow and not rely on all your spell sheets, power cards and 3 pages of loot you've amassed over the course of your campaign... who needs a dozen +2 swords at level 18 anyway?

So try it, let your hair down and take a walk on the unscripted side for a bit. Get your feet wet, you just might like it :)

And if all else fails, you're out a few bucks and you sell the book on ebay.

Edited by SoloKane

I was also a big 4e player for a long time, and it is s very tactical game. Sliding, shifting, conditions, ongoing damage, combat advantage; these are all tactical benefits built into the core mechanics of the game. Even things like classes, skills, feats, powers are pretty staple things to DND. Those things aside, what you have is role playing, which can be implemented in any game.

This game literally has none of that. No skills or class features, no combat maneuvers or spells. Just basics. "Trained skill" (Good at something)? Bonus die. "Combat advantage" (Sneak up on an enemy)? Bonus die. "Power attack" (Pushing yourself)? Bonus die and neg die.

In many ways it's better and worse than 4e, and really depends on what you're looking for. Chess vs checkers; this game is simple, but doesn't get bogged down in things like rules debates/clarification, character balance/optimization, balance issues. It's literally a pick up and play.

If you're looking for something a little more familiar to introduce into your game, take a look at the Career Skills link in my skill. The document adds a skill list and "critical hit" system to the game. Your DND players may like the familiarity :)

If you're looking for something a little more familiar to introduce into your game, take a look at the Career Skills link in my skill. The document adds a skill list and "critical hit" system to the game. Your DND players may like the familiarity :)

This here... this is why I like the community here. They help you to fill out the game mechanics to be more familiar, if that is something you want. I like the career skills that Sydonis put together.

I've played 4th D&D and I like this game...

Will your players like this? I think they will. I think they know what to expect from a zombie apocalypse game (that let's you play as yourselves I.e. ordinary humans) and are smart enough to realise that in EoTW you can't just send in your Fighter/Rogue combo while the Cleric gets ready to heal them in order to win this game.

Gameplay wise they might miss some number cruch/dump stats and not having an area map full of squares to move on.

But It's like SolKane sais: If all else fails, you're only out a few bucks. (No need to buy players guide+DM guide+ monster manual+ tons of splat books for this game)

And let's be honest, you really only need one book. Not everyone needs their own dog-eared copy.

I'm hoping someone will make a GM screen or quick start guide and post it soon.

I would, but I'm just way to lazy...

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies and considerations. I think that we will most likely end up giving this game a try. Although it has no well-defined movement system like D&D 4e (i.e., how many squares you can move), I suppose I could implement something similar. My group tend to use miniatures for the player characters and I use the Chessex Battle Mat (big dry-erase mat with squares on one side and hex on the other) quite a bit. I could always simply assign a movement speed to player characters and movement speeds to various zombies.

I don't think my group would like playing largely in their heads; I will want to have some minis representing them, and play out combat in at least a semi-visual way. But, that seems possible within the bounds of this game.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments!

Edited by divinityofnumber

Might be hard to represent endless hordes on a legit grid. That said, it's doable; just apply DND movement to the game. 6 squares (30 feet) for movement, -1 per negative feature which affects speed (small, sedentary, traumas).

Careful though, Keep in mind a game round of DND is 6 seconds vs. 10 seconds in EOTW though... Adds a third movement, almost a 4th.

Edited by Sydonis

A good friend of mine from Pathfinder days has tried EotE and has since left because he misses the looting and min/maxing. (Min/Maxing are his words)

Nothing wrong with being a twink, as long as he can admit it. =)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies and considerations. I think that we will most likely end up giving this game a try. Although it has no well-defined movement system like D&D 4e (i.e., how many squares you can move), I suppose I could implement something similar. My group tend to use miniatures for the player characters and I use the Chessex Battle Mat (big dry-erase mat with squares on one side and hex on the other) quite a bit. I could always simply assign a movement speed to player characters and movement speeds to various zombies.

I don't think my group would like playing largely in their heads; I will want to have some minis representing them, and play out combat in at least a semi-visual way. But, that seems possible within the bounds of this game.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments!

Using a step down approach might be good. Just remember that turns in this game are 10 seconds rather than 6 seconds, so more movement or more elaborate actions might be permissible per turn to reflect the increase in time (heck 66% more time per turn!!!)

Also, you might want to keep those in reserve and try the completely wide open approach. The players might like it and it will make it easier on you as the GM. However, if they start balking at the openness or lack of definition, then you can add your step down items into the mix.

Hope that helps!