Map of the Dead

By CyCo, in Zombie Apocalypse

Ok peeps. I brought this up in the Google Earth topic, but figured that that topic might just drown and get lost. And also figured that many here might not check an older topic I brought back from the dead (ok, only a few weeks dead). So here it is;

The Map of the Dead.

Want to check up on where you can get more gas for you car? Or building supplies to fortify your safe house? Or weapons? What about guns and ammo? Medical supplies? Where the cemetaries are so you know where not to go? Where the police stations and military instilations are? Check out the The Map of the Dead.

;) :D

I forgot to add, it sort of also indicates (with a rather broad brush), the 'concentration' of where you'll find the walking dead. So, you'll then know where to avoid. That is, unless you want some supplies......

Edited by CyCo

Thank you for the very valuable resource.

Might I make one suggestion? Can you add a filter for pet stores?

You'll be surprised how many good things can come from pet stores... while everyone else is raiding grocery stores, you can get lots of good canned meat (the gourmet 95/99% canned meat is expensive to buy, but good to eat). Plus many survivors can fit uses for tie out cables, leashes, whistles, kitty litter, and even just dry food spread around the perimeter of your hold out that crunches as walkers and other unsavory types come too near. :)

Not to mention, many of the pet vitamins and supplements are useful on people. Check out a little video blog from "Patriot Nurse" to see what I mean.

Also, Dollar stores are a good place for a variety of items and those things are EVERY

Thanks again.

Not that I know of, I just found the Map of the Dead a few years ago. But you do bring up some valid points.

Is the map a bit glitchy for anyone else? (icons etc..)

According to the zombie survival guide, cemeteries are actualy pretty safe since infected zombies don't rise from the grave and most cemeteries are remote enough not be overwhelemed by the walking dead. Hospitals on the other hand...

You'll be surprised how many good things can come from pet stores... while everyone else is raiding grocery stores, you can get lots of good canned meat (the gourmet 95/99% canned meat is expensive to buy, but good to eat). Plus many survivors can fit uses for tie out cables, leashes, whistles, kitty litter, and even just dry food spread around the perimeter of your hold out that crunches as walkers and other unsavory types come too near. :)

Not to mention the pets themselves, assuming you can get there before they're all dead/gone. A pack of loyal dogs could come in handy as guards and hunting assistants. I suppose you'd have to train them not to bark at every zombie, though. That might go south quickly...

Plus, if things go REALLY bad, at least cannibalism isn't the FIRST last resort...

According to the zombie survival guide, cemeteries are actualy pretty safe since infected zombies don't rise from the grave and most cemeteries are remote enough not be overwhelemed by the walking dead. Hospitals on the other hand...

Funnily enough, mapofthedead.com makes the same point, if you read the tooltips. I'm guessing the guy who made this has read Max Brooks. =)

Irrelevant in the Pandemic, Whisper, Under The Skin, and Meteor campaigns. Hell, even in the Hell campaign, since most graveyards don't have amazing security to begin with. Ironically enough, even if you could find a graveyard or mausoleum with thick enough walls to lock them out, you also be locking yourself in.

This tomb will be your tomb.

Psychologically, I just can't see going to a cemetery during a zompoc. Might be me, but very early in the apocalypse no one really knows what the cause is (presumably) and out of sheer caution, I'd stay away.

I picked up a couple of free tourist maps from a hotel... They work wonderfully as well! They are usually colorful and because they specifically locate the touristy sights in a town players will be somewhat drawn to visit them. That's how they ended up on an old cruise ship from the early sixties, that is now a hotel in Rotterdam. Imagine people dressed in old sailor uniforms shambling through corridors below deck, rescuing a couple of Japanese businessmen that had barricaded themselves in a conference room and they even had a fight in the onboard cinema while Goldfinger played on the big screen behind them... It must have looked like a horror rendition of Love Boat.

ssrotterdam.jpeg

Edited by DanteRotterdam

It should make a good defensable location if you can remove the gangways and clear out any infected on the ship.

LOL zombie loveboat!

Love, exciting and new
Come aboard, we're expecting you
Brains, lifes sweetest reward
Let it flow, it floats back to you

Love Boat soon will be making another run
The Love Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure
Your mind on a new horror

Your wounds, won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a deadly shore
Yes, death
It's death

Brainss Boat soon will be making another run
The brainsss Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for braaaains
Your brains on a new brainsss

Braiiinsss won't hurt anymore
It's an open braaainss on a friendly braaainnsss
It's brains, it's brains, it's brains
It's the brainsss Boat, it's the braaaaainnnzzz Boat

... an old cruise ship from the early sixties, that is now a hotel in Rotterdam.

Is that the SS DanteRotterdam?

@Robin Graves ... that is hilarious. Will you be recording that and posting on YouTube?

Great post!

Great post! FYI to everyone else, I'm getting some of the icons to disappear when I zoom in and out on the map.