Ragnar/Tau Deck Build

By Guitarquero, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

Hey guys I am working on a Space wolves deck with some tau allies and I was wondering what i could add or change in this work in progress deck. So far having only played a few games i really like what the deck can do and i really have no shortage of resources / draws. My typical Strategy is to just keep taking the first planet with all my +attack with warlord present units. So far this strategy has worked for me. I also will try and just target the enemy warlord and scare him off / kill him. Without further Ado, here is the deck.

Ragnar Warlord with Sig Sqaud (8)

Space Marines (21)

Indomitable (x3)

Tactical Squad Cardinis (x3)

Holy Sepulchre (x3)

Fenrisian Wolf (x3)

White Scar Bikers (x3)

Exterminatus (x3)

Morkai Rune Priest (x3)

Tau (21)

Blacksun Filter (x3)

Homing Beacon (x3)

Ion Rifle (x3)

Even The Odds (x3)

Bork'an Recruits (x3)

Fire Warrior Elite (x3)

Piranha Hunter (x3)

Neutrals (6)

Rogue Trader (x3)

Void Pirate (x3)

Total (56)

So really what I'm looking for is if I over looked anything in my Squad and what my Weakness will be against other warlords/ decks. I'm not very experienced in the game but i do understand the core mechanics I think. I don't want you to change my deck up entirely just if i should drop or add a few cards / suggestions. I think my Weak spot is lack of high shield cards (Excluding Indomitable) and Lack of late game units like dreadnoughts and such but I figured if i manage to get into late game by main strategy failed anyways. I don't really know what your average of Army units should be in your decks either, this deck feels a little low but that might just be me only playing with starters and first time building my own deck.

Also a Question about Homing Beacon does it proc off of my Warlord / Units returning to HQ after a battle at the first planet?

Edited by Guitarquero

[snip]

Also a Question about Homing Beacon does it proc off of my Warlord / Units returning to HQ after a battle at the first planet?

To this question - no. Returning to your HQ after winning the first planet is not moving to HQ. Neither is returning your warlord to HQ after a battle. However, after an ethereal attacks, it moves to HQ, which can trigger the support card.

Thank you, was wondering because they work so well with etherals. That makes more sense.

A Ragnar rush game is doable, but not especially playing to that faction or warlord's strengths. You'll likely find that with this deckbuild you'll find the command phase will go really badly against a tourney level deck, and from the second planet onwards things will go very sour very fast.

First thing I would do is knock the deck down to 50 cards: smaller decks create more consistent draw of decisive cards.

Next, think hard about your deck economy, and cost curve. Broadly speaking, if an Army Unit costs 4 or more or a Support or Event costs 2 or more, it has to be really really good for you. Some candidates qualify, but some don't.

This, to me, is a decent Ragnar rush game deck:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/wh40kconquest/warhammer-40-000-conquest-decks-section/_/warhammer-40-000-conquest-decks/cato-1st-place-franklin-wi-r233

Its unconventional, as accepted wisdom is that Ragnar / AM is stronger, but its solidly built and the choice of event and unit cards make for good combat durability, while the deck doesn't altogether neglect command.

Yes that is one problem I face is command struggle even if I have more units at the first planet I lose the command but is till manage to pull enough resources and card draws off of Void Pirate/Rogue Trader and even the Piranha hunter/Blacksun Filter (when I remember to use them). Also Homing beacon was giving me a solid resource pool Unfortunately I was using it wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion I may try making a deck with AM I really like the new cards they got. I really don't know what to expect for this store championship as it will be the first time ill be playing a card game competitively.

As for the cost curve I don't really understand what i should be looking that I should add or remove to improve that. I usually just grab cards that sound good and i understand how to use and fit the them of the deck. Grabbing all the spacewolves cards and grabbing cards that give bonus attack when with a warlord. I find I haven't gotten to use the Rune Priest but I think it is a neat ability.

The deck you linked was a Cato Deck (Unless your just saying swap out Cato for Ragnar).

Interesting that Crushing Blow was such a good card for him, I didn't think it would be that good, but i suppose the amount of time a drop a unit to One health due to them shielding just enough to save them. Looks like ill need to revise this deck.

Thanks again = D