Inheriting Legacy Weapons

By DeathByGrotz, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Situation as follows:

Chaos champ one gives chaos champ two/his apprentice (behind the group in XP and infamy, due to being created later) his legacy weapon as a sign of appreciation&as a reward for a particular spectacular deed. Seems like a Khorney thing to do, right?

Now, the weapon per se is still (in)famous. Would the recipient have to pass an infamy test to elevate it anew, or, given it technically is already elevated, and he got it as a reward, does it stay elevated as it was, only using the recipient's infamy bonus instead?

(The weapon in question is distinct enough not to be mistaken for anything but the original champ's blade).

Edited by DeathByGrotz

I would rule that the new owner would need to forge his own legacy with the weapon and thus make an infamy test to elevate it again as it was the original owner that forged the legacy with the weapon.

Furthermore the rules state that if the champion uses another weapon he has to pass an infamy test as if elevating the weapon again to keep it as a legacy weapon (I.E. if failed it counts simply as a normal weapon of it's kind).

Considering the champion is not only (presumably) using another weapon but actually has disrespected the legacy of his weapon by giving it to one that has not proven worthy of its legend I would state the weapon is actually no longer a legacy weapon even if the original owner wields it again unless he can appease its angered spirit by passing another elevation test.

Also if the new owner does manage to elevate the weapon he should probably roll again on the tables to see what kind of legacy he has forged with the weapon as the legacy relates to the deeds of both the weapon and the owner and not merely the weapon itself. This would of course use his infamy rating and not the original owner's.

Hope that helps!

Inheriting legacy rules are on page 60 of ToB

Well done sir, I stand corrected.

Inheriting legacy rules are on page 60 of ToB

We totally missed them, twice. Situation resolved, thanks!

A bit of houseruling, but...

A legacy weapon indeed can be more (or less) infamous than its current wielder. Some are infamous partially because they changed so many wielders, giving them power but betraying them whenever convenient.

So in my games, Legacy Weapons have their very own infamy and corruption track, based on how, by whom and against whom they are used and what kind of legacy stands behind a particular weapon. That legacy stays the same, whether this weapon is in the hand of a mighty champion or lowly cultist picking it from his fallen leader to avenge his death.

That sounds pretty cool actually. How exactly does it work?

Depends on the legacy pattern and history.

Infamy grows when the weapon works true to its history and pattern - a vigilant machinegun firing 5 000 rounds full-auto non-stop without any jams or malfunctions. A knife with the legacy of excess used to sacrifice souls as part of extremely dangerous ritual. A versatile lasgun which took lives with las-blasts while cells were charged, then with bayonet stabs before bayonet was cut in half by powersword, then was used to kill a powersword-armed adversary with the butt of the gun itself as an improvised weapon.

Corruption grows when the weapon is infused with powers of the warp - when it's used by (or against) daemons and sorcerer's, when wielder earns CPs, when the weapon is used to worship a Chaos God, when a great warrior or leader is slain by the weapon (which also earns some Infamy).

A good rule of thumb is to give the weapon 2 times less infamy/corruption than you would give a PC.

People are more easily recognized than weapons, after all.

Edited by Chaplain

I like it. Totally nicking it.

And the weapon can rule the owner rather than the other way around.