Argus Security and The Cleaners

By Bran, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Reading the text on The Cleaners, it says, 'Whenever you do meat damage, do one additional meat damage.'

Argus Security states, '...or suffer 2 meat damage.'

Intuitively I would imagine that these function together, but as a card gamer who knows how carefully you should read the cards, the distinction between 'suffer' and 'do' suggests to me that the two cards do not work together.

Which is true?

AFAIK, this is a non-combo, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll try and find out if it's already answered.

Guess it depends on what ultimately does the meat damage, if it is the Argus identity (i.e. the Corp) dealing out the damage I would have thought the Cleaners still applies. If on the other hand it is the Runner dealing two meat damage to themselves, then it would not.

A "do" wording would have been possible with a different structure: "Whenever the Runner steals an agenda, do 2 meat damage. The Runner may take 1 tag to ignore this effect", but isn't in line with the other choice cards (e.g. Cerebral Cast).

Confirmed by Lukas on twitter, no extra damage from the cleaners. Suffer does not equal do.

Superb. Thank you for the clarification!