"Killing/Destroying" stuff

By Spyder, in XCOM: The Board Game

When cards, critical affects, or other effects say to "kill X" whatever, do those items have to come from the board and assigned resources?

Or can they come from Reserves?

So, the critical effect of the Onslaught invasion plan states "Kill 2 soldiers." Or the crisis card that states "Destroy 2 interceptors" . Can I use Reserves to fulfill that requirement?

Thanks ya'll.

Edited by Spyder

From what I remember, they can come from reserves or the board. Just not from the recruitment pool.

What CommisarFeesh said

A common decision I've had to make before was to send two soldiers on the Sky ranger to cancel a particularly terrible crisis card (during the timed phase), but they pay the ultimate sacrifice because we still had to deal with the Kill 2 Soldier crisis card (resolution phase) - so I chose those two to die as heroes.

A common decision I've had to make before was to send two soldiers on the Sky ranger to cancel a particularly terrible crisis card (during the timed phase), but they pay the ultimate sacrifice because we still had to deal with the Kill 2 Soldier crisis card (resolution phase) - so I chose those two to die as heroes.

Kinda thematic - they obviously died preventing the other crisis :)

is there a rules reference that implies the killed units can come from reserves or even from tech cards? because I've been playing they have to come from the board which is murderous, but now that I think about it I can't think of any rules that say they HAVE to come from the board. Which would save my squad a whole lot of trouble because man paying the budget for 2 soldiers that are going to die? disgusting.

As I'm talking through this I'm pretty sure you guys are right (although I'd hope to see an FAQ clarification at some point just to be sure) and I feel duuuuuuuumb

is there a rules reference that implies the killed units can come from reserves or even from tech cards? because I've been playing they have to come from the board which is murderous, but now that I think about it I can't think of any rules that say they HAVE to come from the board. Which would save my squad a whole lot of trouble because man paying the budget for 2 soldiers that are going to die? disgusting.

As I'm talking through this I'm pretty sure you guys are right (although I'd hope to see an FAQ clarification at some point just to be sure) and I feel duuuuuuuumb

No official clarification, but:

a) if they had to come from the board, you could save a lot of grief by just not deploying any rather than deploying twice as many as you actually want

b) there are crises which specify units assigned to particular tasks, so ones which don't make sense to not require that added restriction

c) a soldier in the reserves or assigned to the Skyranger is still a soldier, so, in the absence of anything to indicate otherwise, I'd say they still satisfy the conditions on the crises.