Ragnar super good with Ragnar's Warcamp?

By Century, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Does Ragnar Blackbane get a bonus from Ragnar's Warcamp? The wording would have been much clearer if it said "Army Unit" instead of just Unit. With other cards, he's a one-shot kill against warlords.

ffg_WHK02_4.jpg ffg_WHK02_1b.jpg

Ragnar is a (warlord) unit with the Space wolves trait. So it doubles his damage when he attacks.

Bear in mind Ragnar's "deal 2 damage" ability isn't an attack so those (2) damage won't get doubled by the warcamp.

Unless somebody can prove i got it wrong, thats how (I think) those cards work.

Also, he'll never catch that new Eldar warlord!

road-runner-wallpapers-1.jpg

Actually, the card is a bit vague in another respect: "... unit you control at a planet with your warlord. " Is a warlord considered being with itself, or is it referring to the planet?

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

A warlord is considerd to be a unit, so is considerd to be a unit being with itself.

Are you sure about that? It's awfully close to a longstanding rules question we had over in the X-Wing forum about whether a ship was considered at range 1 of itself. It's much less to do with whether it's considered a unit, and more to do with whether something can be with itself. There's an obvious element of plurality involved that the warlord may not be intended to benefit from.

I remain unconvinced, at least on say-so alone.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Are you sure about that? It's awfully close to a longstanding rules question we had over in the X-Wing forum about whether a ship was considered at range 1 of itself. It's much less to do with whether it's considered a unit, and more to do with whether something can be with itself. There's an obvious element of plurality involved that the warlord may not be intended to benefit from.

I remain unconvinced, at least on say-so alone.

;)

Ragnar DEALS two damage, and the warcamp allows DEALT damage to double. I think I remember seeing that a unit is WITH itself, but can't recall where so am trying to find that.

But at the moment it appears it works with Ragnar!

Actually, the card is a bit vague in another respect: "... unit you control at a planet with your warlord. " Is a warlord considered being with itself, or is it referring to the planet?

I read that sentence as "with your warlord" qualifying the word "planet," not the word "unit" (which the the larger phrase "at a planet with your warlord" is certainly qualifying).

Without a conjunction or comma between the prepositional phrases (to indicate both modify the same noun/verb), the second prepositional phrase modifies the object of the first preposition. For example, if it said "Space Wolves units at a planet AND with your warlord...," I'd think the word "with" refer to the unit instead of the planet, but as is, I find it hard to read "with your warlord" as applying to anything other than the planet.

I can read it both ways, hence my hesitation.

My gut reaction is that 'at a (planet with your Warlord)' is the correct reading, as opposed to 'at a planet, with your Warlord'. So it's not a matter of the Warlord being with himself, so much as the Warlord is also 'at a planet with your Warlord'.

I agree though that either interpretation can be argued for, though I think that ktom's reading is the one which feels correct.

Ragnar DEALS two damage, and the warcamp allows DEALT damage to double. I think I remember seeing that a unit is WITH itself, but can't recall where so am trying to find that.

deals damage while attacking.

Whoops yeah sorry lol!

Anyway PBrennan replied to me over at ccdb, and in his reply he explains how the card works and that Ragnar benefits

From it!

(iPad won't perform a copy of that post for some reason but you'll see my post over there in the rules forum)

Technically, deals damage while attacking an enemy Warlord . Small but important difference. ;)

Edited by Killax

Technically, deals damage while attacking an enemy Warlord . Small but important difference. ;)

Hey if Kintaro1 only reads part of the scentence, then so can I. ;)

LOL!!

Yeah I'm kind of infamous in our group for that. :unsure:

But hey, it all got sorted in the end, right?