Jar'kai

By Kilcannon, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I have a player working on a Jar'Kai formed PC amd since there is no specialization as of now what would anyone recommend?

I was thinking Niman amd Ataru since both of those utilized Jar'Kai from what I read.

Otherwise not opposed to making another of my own specializations until an official is released. Something with a focus on linked attacks and the ability to defend against multiple attackers, but overpower a single enemy.

I would go with Ataru, and then use the plain Two Weapon Combat rules.

Ataru is the high-dexterity jumpy-flippy style, and conceptually meshes well with Jar’Kai.

At least, until we get a proper F&D CRB, that is. Then we might have some real rules for Jar’Kai. ;)

I thought Jar'Kai was simply presented as two weapon combat often using a Shoto blade and not given its own official form in the rules beyond the regular rules for Two Weapon combat with both weapons being lightsabers.

If my Star Wars knowledge serves me correctly, Jar Kai was derived from Niman. Niman is a really basic, balanced for that grabs simple moves from all over the place, so it makes sense that Jar Kai is about trying to make two weapons simple and practical.

Personally, I don't think it deserves a full tree any more than Trispzeist (aerial lightsaber combat) or Vaapad, since they're all extremely rare. Maybe Vaapad will be a Signature Ability, but I doubt a lot of these uncommon forms will be a thing.

If anything, I would just try to get a Superior quality on my lightsaber to gain an extra point of advantage and pick any tree that feels like how you want your character to fight, and call that Jar Kai. Narrative is more important than having a correctly labeled talent.

If my Star Wars knowledge serves me correctly, Jar Kai was derived from Niman. Niman is a really basic, balanced for that grabs simple moves from all over the place, so it makes sense that Jar Kai is about trying to make two weapons simple and practical.

Personally, I don't think it deserves a full tree any more than Trispzeist (aerial lightsaber combat) or Vaapad, since they're all extremely rare. Maybe Vaapad will be a Signature Ability, but I doubt a lot of these uncommon forms will be a thing.

If anything, I would just try to get a Superior quality on my lightsaber to gain an extra point of advantage and pick any tree that feels like how you want your character to fight, and call that Jar Kai. Narrative is more important than having a correctly labeled talent.

Pretty much this.

When I homebrewed a lightsaber forms tree for my own use (2 years ago), I attached a few "jar'kai" talents that were accessible through Niman. Mostly they were increases to Defense through using two sabers, or spending a Maneuver to decrease the Two-weapon penalty by one.

If you want to go purist; take Niman Disciple and just use two sabers. But really, any spec with twin sabers could be explained as using "Jar Kai".

Purist may be Niman, but whatever feels appropriate IS appropriate. If you like the Consular career skills and mixing in Force power a lot, Niman is fine for Jar Kai. Really defensive and whirlwind-y? Soresu is good. Is your character all about dueling and flair? Makashi...

The list goes on. Reflecting the old Jar Kai bonus to defense from Saga, Soresu Defender's Defensive Stance is an excellent choice.

Just because your Specialization has a particular title, it doesn't mean you ARE that any more than being in a career means you ARE that. Not all Assassins are Bounty Hunters. I've had players choose Bounty Hunter to reflect being a grizzled soldier who would never accept payment to kill, but rather, kill out of honor and patriotism. Your Specialization may say you know Niman. If you think your play style is more aggressive an acrobatic (via say, Enhance), then call your character an Ataru practitioner... Narrative first. Labels and mechanics second.

Per the lore, Jar'kai has pretty much been an off-shoot of Niman.

But ultimately, if you want to have a Shii-Cho Knight or Makashi Duelist that uses dual-wielding and calls it "Jar'kai," then go for it. We see Kit Fisto (a Shii-Cho master) employ dual-wielding during an episode of The Clone Wars (which is part of the new canon), so the idea of dual-wielding isn't limited strictly to Jar'kat itself.

All you really need are the rules on wielding two weapons and you're off to the races. Simply use a shoto as your primary weapon to get the boost die from the Accurate quality and accept that at least for a little while you're not going to be hitting that often with the bigger 'saber until you've gotten your dice pool up to at least two proficiency dice and a base characteristic of 3.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Have any of the lightsaber forms specifically been made canon yet?

Have any of the lightsaber forms specifically been made canon yet?

Star Wars Rebels had the Inquisitor specifically reference Form 3 the first time he fought Kanan.

Ehh, Jarkai already exists in essentence within the Nimen tree under Defensive Training which it has two of.

Principly a Jedi applies the defensive training boost to a lightsaber which replaces any defensive quailties that a lightsaber has. Take two of that, then weild two lightsabers; both lightsabers add 2 setback dice to melee defence for a total of 4 melee defence that makes the oppoments defense really tight to repersent power of both blades used well! Double attacking with them will likely be enough to round it off, with additional abilities gained by buying into additional talent trees depending on what one wants.

The result? A defensive orientated style that occupies both hands with the potential to make a duel wield check. Does it need to be too much more intricate then that?

ps: Previously I thought the setback applied to only one blade, but a player made mention that the ability seemed worded to apply to both. Any comfirmation on that?

Now with the paired attachment It works better. 300 credits and it drops the requirement from 2 advantage to hit with the second weapon to 1. advantage.

Lordbiscuit,

To my knowledge, there's been no official clarification on how wielding two weapons with the Defensive trait works, though a number of posters (myself included) often rule that they don't stack and instead the wielder gets the better of the two.

So in the case of Niman Disciple and it having two ranks of Defensive Training, the dual-wielding PC would simply get Defensive 2 from their primary lightsaber, and thus melee defense 2. This makes sense, as it keeps with the general design intent of keeping the dice pools at a manageable size, particularly since a PC could very easily pick up more ranks of Defensive Training by taking other 'saber specs.

Lordbiscuit,

To my knowledge, there's been no official clarification on how wielding two weapons with the Defensive trait works, though a number of posters (myself included) often rule that they don't stack and instead the wielder gets the better of the two.

So in the case of Niman Disciple and it having two ranks of Defensive Training, the dual-wielding PC would simply get Defensive 2 from their primary lightsaber, and thus melee defense 2. This makes sense, as it keeps with the general design intent of keeping the dice pools at a manageable size, particularly since a PC could very easily pick up more ranks of Defensive Training by taking other 'saber specs.

Ahhh I see I see, on a side point, would this same ruling also applied to paired vibro weapons, such as vibroblades? Or a riot sheild complimenting the blades e.c.t

You would benefit from the best source of defence, since multiple sources do not stack unless specified otherwise. But you would get to choose, since you’re wielding both weapons (this is one of the primary benefits of shields).
Both weapons would get the benefit from Defensive training, but since the two sources do not stack, you simply pick one of them to apply.
And you may share the answer if you wish.
Sam Stewart
Senior RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
This is the official answer from Sam about dual wielding weapons with Defense on them. They don't stack.
Also, bonus from the "off-hand" don't apply until you get the 2 advantages to trigger that weapon to hit... so you don't get the bonus from Accurate on your off-hand, but you could get the Superior and Curved Hilt bonus after you land the hit with the off-hand.

Hope it helps

Good to know JP_JP. Thanks for sharing that.

You would benefit from the best source of defence, since multiple sources do not stack unless specified otherwise. But you would get to choose, since you’re wielding both weapons (this is one of the primary benefits of shields).
Both weapons would get the benefit from Defensive training, but since the two sources do not stack, you simply pick one of them to apply.
And you may share the answer if you wish.
Sam Stewart
Senior RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
This is the official answer from Sam about dual wielding weapons with Defense on them. They don't stack.
Also, bonus from the "off-hand" don't apply until you get the 2 advantages to trigger that weapon to hit... so you don't get the bonus from Accurate on your off-hand, but you could get the Superior and Curved Hilt bonus after you land the hit with the off-hand.

Hope it helps

Awesome dude, I was just checking for my groups knowledge. ^__^ Thank you!