Specific card questions

By High King, in The Hobbit Board Game

Maybe it's my non-native English that doesn't make me understand a few issues, but...

1) Event 1 card "Good Morning": Is this applicable to all dice in a roll, or only to one single dice?

2) Event 4 card "Thrain's Map": Does "up to five re-rolls" imply that if you, as an example, have high cunning and due to this can make 4 re-rolls – only then can make only one more re-rolls? Or can you in this case make up to 4+5=9 re-roll?

I assume each re-roll in this case can be made with as many of the 5 dice as you like, or am I wrong?

3) The event cards: Begin a Great Adventure, Riddles in the Dark, Beorn's Feast, and Arrival at Lake-Town (actually the same card in different disguise for the different event stages):

The order of who starts choosing may give some important tactics (well – if you are SERIOUS about gaming anyway :-).

– Choosing could be made simultaneously. But then one have to write ones choice on a small note and everybody revealing them at the same time - and you have to have pens and paper ready.

– One can bid with a dwarf card (high value wins maybe).

– Or, choosing in order of highest initiative (and maybe bidding, or randomly drawing from the stack, dwarf cards – if there is a tie).

Any recommendations?

[This also applies to one of the Event 3 cards in a 5 player game (where party advances in a 2-4 game).]

A lot of the wording in this game is unclear.

1) Event 1 card "Good Morning": Is this applicable to all dice in a roll, or only to one single dice?

I don't have my cards in front of me so I'll have to re-read this one and get back to you.

2) Event 4 card "Thrain's Map": Does "up to five re-rolls" imply that if you, as an example, have high cunning and due to this can make 4 re-rolls – only then can make only one more re-rolls? Or can you in this case make up to 4+5=9 re-roll?
I assume each re-roll in this case can be made with as many of the 5 dice as you like, or am I wrong?

It would read more clearly like this: 'Use this card to make up to, but no more than, 5 re-rolls'. So the 'up to' part means you can make 5 or less. Yes, this would be in addition to your Cunning score.

3) The event cards: Begin a Great Adventure, Riddles in the Dark, Beorn's Feast, and Arrival at Lake-Town (actually the same card in different disguise for the different event stages):
The order of who starts choosing may give some important tactics (well – if you are SERIOUS about gaming anyway :-).
– Choosing could be made simultaneously. But then one have to write ones choice on a small note and everybody revealing them at the same time - and you have to have pens and paper ready.
– One can bid with a dwarf card (high value wins maybe).
– Or, choosing in order of highest initiative (and maybe bidding, or randomly drawing from the stack, dwarf cards – if there is a tie).
Any recommendations?

If you're playing with folks who are that serious about their gaming, you should perhaps be playing Game of Thrones ;) I would just use the dwarf cards to bid.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Shipwreck!

By some reason I didn't thank you for answering two years ago ?

I guess I – as an adult are a bit to ambitious about such things. However, I was playing with my nephews, and I better have answers if they start to argue ?.

As a LotR fanatic, I bought the LotR card game and some expansions. Unfortunately, I have not really had the time to play it more than once. And games that you can play 3-5 players (or single player) rather suit my "gaming situation". I guess there are ways to to this, but I haven't put any time in to investigating how. My nephews – my great excuse to buy all those games – have been to young. Now they start to get in the right age regarding if they understand the gameplay. But as we do not have English as our native language, this also is somewhat of a problem. Howewer companionship games is the way to go with my nephews right now. They are very sore loosers when it comes to "antagonistic" games.