Having a Dark Angel being initiated

By Enmi, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

I recently finished The Emperor Protects with my players, and we're taking a break as I prepare our next campaign. During the final mission, I decided (via the chaos-device showing past and futures) to show my Dark Angel player the Fall of Caliban, just to screw him up ;) .

Note that the character has been sent in the DeathWatch because he was not "mentaly able" to know the truth about his chapter, but was still a great warrior. So right now, as you can imagine, his character his pretty much f*cked up in the head. After the campaign, he asked me if we could do sessions to evolve this part of the character. Of course, I agreed, and because I highly value what my players want for their characters instead of evolving them myslef (basically, I asked my player if he wants to do a "side quest" to evolve his character instead of throwing it in his face), I asked him what was his plan for his Dark Angel. But he doesn't really know, telling me that he'll see what the chaplain will tell him. I personnaly took it as a "Do what you want with my character" (note that he already told me that it's not because his not interested in this, but really he can't decide which path to choose).

So finally, here's my question : how would you initate a Dark Angel to its chapter's secrets ? I think i'll have him fights some chaos dudes and reports to the chaplain every time, where his faith would be tested as he truly "understands" the nature of betrayal. Finally, he would have to hunt some Fallen (knowing they are Dark Angels only when he see the chapter icon on their shoulders) and interrogate them as a final test. I also plan to have two side characters, the chaplain and a deathwing veteran, with one of them wanting him to know the truth while the other doesn't (eventually, depending on his actions while fighting traitors, this two characters may evolve to both accept him or reject him).

I'm not at home atm, but I believe the ritual is in one of the Dark Angle codex's (codexie?).. I'd do it less killing (unles he is taking down a Fallen) and more of having some Senior Dark Angles around him (with permission of the inner circle of course) to induct him. Maybe not full on Deathwing (Unless the player wants it then by all means).

We have already started this "mini campaign", and basically the guy just went to a Dark Angel Interrogator Chapelain, seeking answer about his vision. Because the player earned an Imperialis, I had the chapelain being more friendly to him, while a Deathwing terminator (also present during his revelation) was about to outright kill him because he knew too much. After this, he followed the chap' to a highly secret cell where the player, as a first 'trial', would have to interrogate an 'enemy of the chapter' (you know what i mean ;) ).

He succeeded, and he's know hunting 'enemies of the chapter', where his loyalty to his chapter would be tested. I had him join an inquisitor as some sort of bodyguard, to 'disguise' his quest. It will be fun i hope, having him searching for the Fallens while having to help the inquisitor.

That sounds awesome, I would actually like to see how to plays out if you wouldn't mind sharing? Also is he looking to go DW, because if he is I'd suggest expanding the wargear for the armour to more match the tt book

As I said, we've just finished The Emperor Protects campaign, and now I'm having my group play single-player campaigns, aiming to "deepen" their character ( = we're actually playing their advanced speciality promotion, which they will 'purchase' at the end). For now, we have :

-Salamander Apothecary --> Deathwatch Keeper

-Iron Hand Techmarine --> Forge Master

-Dark Angel Devastator --> Deathwing/Black Shield (either he truly accepts the truth about his chapter, or is driven 'insane' and will not serve his chapter anymore, only the Deathwatch).

We're only playing the Dark Angel part right now, because I still need to see my other players because they have some ideas to share on how to play their parts.

And yes, if you're interessed, I can share with you the progress of his campaign ;) I will surely play this in 3 parts, and I already have the 'main lines' for the 1st and 3rd part ( and I'm **** happy with what will happen in the third part !)

Edited by Enmi

Please share sir, The Unforgiven are my favorite chapter, and I love seeing people go through the initiations

If he is Initiated, for the actual inititation itself you could do something like Zahariel's intitiation into The Order in Fallen Angels. A ritual where there are three hooded knights (in this case, I'd go with Inner Circle members) who all discuss the supplicant and his suitability, one supporting, one opposing and one neutral towards inducting him. Most likely the Interrogator-Chaplain, a Company Captain and a Librarian, like Zahariel had Sar Remiel, The Lion and Lord Cypher, it seems like a tradition that the Dark Angels would hang onto.

The idea of hunting the Fallen from an Inquisitor's retinue is pretty risky IMO, the Dark Angels have killed Inquisitorial agents and even other Astartes (Black Templars I think) to hide the truth. I think they'd want to keep the Inquisition as far away as possible from anything they are doing regarding the Fallen. Unless that's what you're going for, like a final choice between protecting the chapter by killing the Inquisitor or abandoning it for the Deathwatch.

For the initiation : kinda look like what I've planned so far, so it pleases to see that its almost the same in a book about Dark Angels :) (but note that, for now, he doesn't know what is going on, except for his visions and that he hunts 'enemies of the Chapter')

For the hunting with the inquisitor : look at this as a 'free ride', the inquisitor going where they were rumors of Fallen Angels, some DA DW officers decided to give the inquisitor some help for his mission, in the form of my player ;) Oh and btw, I also did it this way so my player can have a taste of what it's like to have two oaths to fully respect, even if they contradict each other sometimes. I hope it will stress a bit my player :D

And I'll make a post about our progress after next session, because there hisn't much to say for now ;) (Most of the session was him discussing with the inquisitor about the mission and his retinue)

Edited by Enmi

If you need an idea for a Fallen make it a loyal one who just happened to get sucked into the warp who recently reappeared, but he doesn't know it's been 10000 years. It will give the Player something to think about knowing what will happen to the poor soul.