Multiple Set Up

By InstantZzz, in The Witcher Adventure Game

Hi, so I've played the game once so far, in a 1v1 scenerio and set-up went just fine as all I had to do was follow the directions from the booklet. The problem rose when I noticed that neiter booklet explained set-up for 3 or 4 player games. Is this something I'm supposed to just 'wing' and see whats fun for the group? Do I make assumptions based around the 1v1 and ramp it up based on what I think is good for 4 people? I mean each character plays differently- do I start say, Dandilion off with a Foul Fate token in his starting zones since early off he's probably not good at fighting? I was honestly disappointed with the lack of set up option. The only thing the game suggested to make is longer/ challanging was to go to 5 quest cards instead of 3.

The booklet while informative did not feel feature complete and I'd just like a little direction.

Is this something I'm supposed to just 'wing' and see whats fun for the group?

After we had gone the quests, setbacks and foul fate cards after a few play.throughs; My group had to make some house-rules to make the game more challenging instead of just being an entertaining story of misfortune.

On a side-note, more people results in more potential challenges surfacing earlier.

Do I make assumptions based around the 1v1 and ramp it up based on what I think is good for 4 people?

No.

I mean each character plays differently- do I start say, Dandilion off with a Foul Fate token in his starting zones since early off he's probably not good at fighting?

You can try but in my opinion, no.

The only thing the game suggested to make is longer/ challanging was to go to 5 quest cards instead of 3.

It just makes the game longer, but far from more challenging. Development cards are just too powerful with the "standard rule-set".

I created a house-rule thread in this forum if you are interested in making the game a bit more challenging.

The booklet while informative did not feel feature complete and I'd just like a little direction.

I don't feel any changes are required to the setup of the game board.

The first play-throughs was fun and brought us a lot of laughs even though the game was easy; Thanks to the story elements and all the potential setbacks and foul fate escalations.

But when flavour texts lost their novelty, we had to start testing some house-rules to make the game challenging instead.

Good luck and have fun with the game!

Signing out,

Hrodban

Hi, so I've played the game once so far, in a 1v1 scenerio and set-up went just fine as all I had to do was follow the directions from the booklet. The problem rose when I noticed that neiter booklet explained set-up for 3 or 4 player games.

While the Setup instructions in the Learn to Play book have an example Diagram for a 2 player game, the setup instructions remain the same regardless of the number of players.

Everything is sorted and placed just like it says in Setup, the only difference is that where it says things like "Choose Hero", "Prepare Hero Materials", "Place VP Markers", Place Hero Figure", "Draw Starting Quest", and "Indicate Support Quest", EACH player (regardless of how many there are) do these things.