[RTL] Mad Sage at The Ancient Library

By FGMK, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Here is a question:

As the card writes for Leader:

The Mad Sage is a Master Sorcerer with only 4 wounds. Each time he is killed, he comes back to life at the start of the overlord's next turn and is placed back on the board as if he was a newly spawned monster. There is no reward for killing him after the first time.

1. Do the sorcerer needs to obey the Rules of spawning monster , i.e. out of LOS from Heroes?

2. If the Sorcerer can spawn, where does he spawn ....anywhere that is legal on the map board?

3. If the Sorcerer is killed during the heroes turn, as after the heroes turn is the overlord turn, it will not come back to life, but only after the heroes take another turn then it will come back to life?

multikiller said:

Here is a question:

As the card writes for Leader:

The Mad Sage is a Master Sorcerer with only 4 wounds. Each time he is killed, he comes back to life at the start of the overlord's next turn and is placed back on the board as if he was a newly spawned monster. There is no reward for killing him after the first time.

1. Do the sorcerer needs to obey the Rules of spawning monster , i.e. out of LOS from Heroes?

2. If the Sorcerer can spawn, where does he spawn ....anywhere that is legal on the map board?

3. If the Sorcerer is killed during the heroes turn, as after the heroes turn is the overlord turn, it will not come back to life, but only after the heroes take another turn then it will come back to life?

I would say the card makes the issues fairly clear if that is the text (don't have it handy myself).

He places as a "newly spawned monster", so yes, that implies all the normal spawning rules.

As for any lag in the respawn cycle; "he comes back at the start of the overlord's NEXT turn" makes it clear there isn't any.

On the plus side for the heroes, LOS is fairly easy to cover on this map.

This question was asked in the FAQ:

Q: Ancient Library (Dungeon 10): Does the leader reappear in his original spot or respawn as per normal spawn rules?

A: He reappears in his space, pushing aside any model in that space. The Overlord chooses where the pushed model is placed, up to 1 space away. No, this can not trigger movement traps.

snacknuts said:

Q: Ancient Library (Dungeon 10): Does the leader reappear in his original spot or respawn as per normal spawn rules?

A: He reappears in his space, pushing aside any model in that space. The Overlord chooses where the pushed model is placed, up to 1 space away. No, this can not trigger movement traps.

Looked for it in the latest FAQ before I responded but it isn't in that one, must be in GLoAQ or an older FAQ then I guess?

The newest one I have is named "descentfaq 0309v1.3.pdf"

I believe it's still the one linked on the descent support page.

As a side note, I just noticed they posted a article about a new downloadable plot. sweet :)

pinkymadigan said:

snacknuts said:

Looked for it in the latest FAQ before I responded but it isn't in that one, must be in GLoAQ or an older FAQ then I guess?

The FAQ that FFG offer does not provide the answer to this perhaps already answered question. Coz the part that puts contradiction is "he comes back to life at the start of the overlord's next turn " = the model is 'alive' vs " placed back on the board as if he was a newly spawned monster ".

It also given the nature that the Dungeon is a large room and Heroes can easily have LOS to all corners. Thus I thinking that it seems to me alittle easy for the heroes.

Just trying to clarify coz I use to place it back at the same location.

multikiller said:

It also given the nature that the Dungeon is a large room and Heroes can easily have LOS to all corners. Thus I thinking that it seems to me alittle easy for the heroes.

That level is not one large room. Its a common mistake, but the walls on the board tiles do exist. It is four rooms connected by doorways.

Big Remy said:

multikiller said:

That level is not one large room. Its a common mistake, but the walls on the board tiles do exist. It is four rooms connected by doorways.

Yep, but still really easy to get LOS taken care of.

Big Remy said:

multikiller said:

Thanks. I remembered "battle my thought process" thru whether the walls on the board tiles do exist or not. Yup though LOS can still be solved.

Solved everything...thanks