Keyhole + Archives + "When Accessed"

By randitrigger, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

It came up today the behavior between Keyhole and Ambush cards.

Ambush cards typically say "When accessed", but Keyhole explicitly states "Instead of accessing", so the R&D behavior isn't an issue.

However, when an ambush is trashed, is it still set to "go off"? Basically, is the ambush still armed to injure the Runner?

For example, Keyhole trashes TGTBT face up in the Archives (I say this because the extended rules say so.)

If the Runner then accesses Archives and steals TGTBT, does he/she have to take a tag?

My friends and I have usually played under the assumption that an Ambush isn't "armed" in Archives unless it's face down. However, with Keyhole, things like that are trashed face up.

Are they effectively neutralized at that point?

Ambushes are "active" in Archives unless they say otherwise, like Fetal AI , for example. Whether they are faceup or not doesn't matter, I don't think there are any cards that care about that, at least so far.

Absolutely. Face-up or Face-down makes no difference, the card is triggered by being accessed. When you access archives, you access EVERY card in archives. Any cards which trigger on access will fire unless they explicitly state (like Snare! and Fetal AI).

Really?

So cards like Shock! will go off every time you access Archives?

That's really painful!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yep. Shock is a great deterrent to stop people getting free datasucker or haemorrhage tokens. Great if you toss all three in archives :P

Unless they have security testing and start making bank.

Or, now, Archives interface to start exiling those irritants like Shock and Cyberdex Suite.