National Championships, really based on nationality?

By Shunsen, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Organized Play

Is there a rule by FFG that restricts participation in National Championships to the local nationality?

Is there a rule by FFG that restricts participation in National Championships to the local nationality?

How would they even track that?

I don't know. But the German distributor and Nationals Organizer wants to limit participation to Germans, Austrians and Swiss. The countries were he distributes.

Those Germans again! I remember they did something like that quite a while ago.

Heidelberger already revealed that this was there own idea. I find this ridiculous.

FFG doesn't make any attempt to limit participation in a "National Championship" to the nationality of the locale. However, they aren't going to do much to stop the local organizer from attempting to do so, either.

The first part sounds good, the latter less so... In cities like Berlin the local community is rather international...

I guess it depends on how you they define "Germans, Austrians and Swiss." Is it based on citizenship, residency or ancestry?

When it comes right down to it, I can't really fault FFG for not getting involved with a distributor's bizarre decision to limit participation in an "national" event in such a way. What can they do to enforce a participation policy with the distributors; cancel the distribution contract? All they can really do is lead by example - which they do. The North American Championship, which FFG runs directly, is held at Gencon in Indianapolis -- a game convention with a more-than-national appeal. No one checks a passport for event eligibility there.

Update: It was based on Citizenship (which is nearly the same as Ancestry in Germany), but they changed it to residency, which I still find strange but is fine I think.

Sorry for giving this backup so much later, I usually only check cardgamedb