More dice

By AltWren, in XCOM: The Board Game

The game comes with 4. Is that the max you can roll for a single check, or do you just roll them all twice? We had a Squad Leader rolling 8 dice at once with 2 vets, 1 squadie and some piece of tech that made ever task gold bordered.

Nvm. Found it in the faq.

I'm not a big fan of re-rolling dice for a single result. I do Hope FFG releases a dice pack to increase the number so you can have those big rolls when needed.

Those dices are simple "sucesses on 2 sides". These are common in many, many games.

Dust Tactics (FFG versions) had dices that are exactly 100% like those in XCOM, except they have a "target" symbol instead of the XCOM logo. The target icon is thematic enough to represent hit aliens and downed UFOs.

You can still find the old dice pack here: dust-models.com/products_d.php?sid=55&id=269

Or maybe get the Arkham Horror dices. Less thematic to XCOM, but they show eldritch symbols on two sides. Just imagine the Aliens are sent by Chulhu i guess ;)

I'm not a big fan of re-rolling dice for a single result. I do Hope FFG releases a dice pack to increase the number so you can have those big rolls when needed.

I am quite sure that FFG made a very conscious decision to only put 4 dice in the box, for the explicit purpose of later selling dice packs like this for people who want "enough dice for any roll." It seems to be something they've been doing in every game that uses custom dice (which - oh look! - is all of them.) Put in just enough dice to make it look like they're trying, while making absolutely sure the rules can and will ask you to roll more than that during play.

Of course, you could always just buy a tube of d6s and mentally note that 5+ is a success, but then you wouldn't have that keen XCOM logo to look at.

Edited by Steve-O