Protected and unprotected electronics

By Ghaundan, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Some of the psychic phenomena cause unprotected electronics to malfunction, maybe I'm missing something important but where is it written what's considered protected and unprotected? This is especially important when it comes to players equipment as it effects combat alot.

I assume that it's essentially the same as in real life. Electronics that are meant for use either in space or combat will be shielded, and really advanced systems and/or civilian equipment won't. There will also be a lot of electrics that might be too primitive to short out, but you might blow a fuse or bulb.

That sci-fi idea is definitely one that is showing its age. Most equipment is now shielded. The question is against what and by how much?

Used to be you couldn't use cell phones in hospitals because of unshielded equipment. Now its standard that everything in the hospital is either shielded or specified to be used in a shielded room.

I believe the difference is if they're EMP shielded or not. Being shielded from radio interference is something completely different from being shielded against violent electromagnetic pulses, in the same way that a thin jacket might be enough for a cold day in Florida, but the same jacket would be woefully insufficient on a cold day in Sibiria.

I would agree with sirfrog here, anything meant for space, combat, the legions, a heratick's workshop, exploration or essential to a hive city's infrastructure would probably be shielded.

You could treat it as a lesser form of Haywire, in that it would affect any electronics-based technology below a certain Quality level . Basically, having Quality represent/include the aforementioned shielding.