Mission Control

By XorKaya, in XCOM: The Board Game

Can Mission Control be used to "recruit" a unit?

Card reads:

Place 1 [satellite token] here > Move 1 unit from its reserve from the board or from the board to its reserve.

The recruitment pool is technically part of the board. So my guess is yes??

Also, can it be used multiples times so long as you have satellite tokens?

I would argue that using Mission Control to recruit a soldier or interceptor is within the letter of the rules, but not the spirit of the rules.

The card is used to make adjustments after they have been done. If you assign 0 Satellites to orbit when there were no UFOs in orbit, and then afterwards UFOs get placed in Orbit, you can use the card to get a Sat up there to fend it off.

Or if you realize you are going to need 1 more Interceptor next turn, and your base can take the 1 damage from the Alien in it just fine, you can pull the Soldier back and get 1 credit back that you have already "spent" (i.e. the Soldier isn't tallying in the Audit phase).

You can use mission control multiple times so long as you have the satellites to spend.

As for recruiting, I don't believe you can recruit (though, I would understand if it gets interpreted that way as recruits are on the board). Like Deck said, it appears to technically be allowed, but not necessarily what the intent was.

Can Mission Control be used to "recruit" a unit?

Card reads:

Place 1 [satellite token] here > Move 1 unit from its reserve from the board or from the board to its reserve.

The recruitment pool is technically part of the board. So my guess is yes??

I feel like they're only "technically part of the board" in the sense that they are physically on the board surface, but at no point are they really in play.

Think about it this way, if a crisis or invasion event requires you to kill an interceptor or soldier, you don't take it from that recruitment pool, it has to come from units in your reserve or those assigned to a task.

This card functions the same way, and is used to pull off a few tricks, such as;

• reacting to a new board state in the timed phase, where you might need to pull a unit from a task to make room in the budget for another deployment
  • you just plain miscounted and don't want to run a deficit
  • reacting to a new board state after you assigned your scientists to all 3 research stations, you could do a little shuffle to focus on one tech that suddenly became paramount to your success if you can get it before sending your soldiers on a critical mission/final mission

There are so many ways this shuffling can compensate for bad decisions, or the game hitting you hard with changes, but I don't think at any time, it would allow you to pull units from the recruitment pool. It would be like assigning a Support from the recruitment pool to activate Revive. You need to effectively manage what's actually "in play", and that's the challenge.

Also, don't forget, whatever you shuffle around with mission control has to be accounted for in the budget.

If you're going to play that way, you also have to pay credits every turn for those dead soldiers, as you pay for every unit on the board.

If you're going to play that way, you also have to pay credits every turn for those dead soldiers, as you pay for every unit on the board.

Hmm....you could argue that's the case, paying death benefits to family/training of new applicants before recruiting them, though that would make the game near impossible to play even on easy-mode.

Hmm....you could argue that's the case, paying death benefits to family/training of new applicants before recruiting them, though that would make the game near impossible to play even on easy-mode.

God, some people will give a thematic argument to justify anything... <_<

and....something wrong with that?

When it turns into this kind of rules lawyering, yes. :P

Not sure how that's rules lawyering.

Wow... :huh:

Wow... :huh:

I guess I don't have your board gaming wisdom.

Keep it civil, people...